OC'rs Unite!! Mission accomplished!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Sounds to me like Starbucks still wants the money from both sides, FWIW, sooo.....Is this really news- or just another anti-gun hit piece coming- "shockingly"- in the aftermath of another rare, but high profile shooting?

My money's on this monumental announcement having a bigger impact online than in real life. :dogkeke:

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I think the OC-ers/gun rights advocates miscalculated on this one. In hindsight, they should have just kept doing what they were doing before, which is buying their coffee every week while OC-ing...on an individual basis, not 500 people at a time.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Excellent! Our plan is working perfectly! Now lets move on to banks and see what they do.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-03-at-6_43_58-PM.png

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    The term "responsible gun owner" tends to elude a lot of gun owners nowadays. Because the gun community is under constant srcrutiny, as of late, we have to micro-manage everything we say and do becsuse the haters and grabbers are watching everything we say and do.....including this thread, more than likely.

Last edited:

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Excellent! Our plan is working perfectly! Now lets move on to banks and see what they do.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-03-at-6_43_58-PM.png

Why are people so damn stupid? It's almost as bad as the vegetarians who think because they don't eat meat, we shouldn't either. I understand people are unconfortable around firearms in today's society, so I conceal mine. I have the peace of mind of having my weapon should I need it and they have the peace of mind of ignorance of the fact. It works great for both of us.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I guess it's safe to say that the bulk of Bayoushooter 'haters' called it, and were proven right.

Where's that AR-toting Starbucks-going dude that didn't have the sack to show up? Will he admit he's wrong to even think his plan was a good idea, now?

In hindsight, him slinging a giant pink dildo wouldn't have been such a bad idea!?! :D

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Why are people so damn stupid? It's almost as bad as the vegetarians who think because they don't eat meat, we shouldn't either. I understand people are unconfortable around firearms in today's society, so I conceal mine. I have the peace of mind of having my weapon should I need it and they have the peace of mind of ignorance of the fact. It works great for both of us.

^^+1^^
    Well said, sir.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    You guys just don't get it.

Jstokes was right.
    His vast experience in firearms handling and open carrying means he will not lower himself to speak with we, the uninformed masses.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Starbucks: Guns unwelcome, but not banned from stores

This discussion was started in another thread but it got "RETARDED" quick. Looks like people are still not listening! Thats the problem with heated issues, instead of logical discussions, people let emotion cloud the topic and then nothing gets accomplished! PLEASE, PLEASE STOP displaying your firearm in Starbucks! CCW & Open Carry, get your coffee and look for a better way to help our cause in the firearm community. Below is from Foxnews:

Starbucks says guns are no longer welcome in its cafes, though it is stopping short of an outright ban on firearms.

The fine line that the retailer is walking to address the concerns of both gun rights and gun control advocates reflects how heated the issue has become, particularly in light of recent mass shootings.

Most states allow people to openly carry licensed guns in some way and many companies do not have laws banning firearms in their stores. But Starbucks has become a target for gun control advocates, in part because of its liberal-leaning corporate image. In turn, gun rights advocates have been galvanized by the company's decision to defer to local laws.

In an interview, CEO Howard Schultz said the decision to ask customers to stop bringing guns into stores came as a result of the growing frequency of "Starbucks Appreciation Days," in which gun rights advocates turned up at Starbucks cafes with firearms.

Schultz said the events mischaracterized the company's stance on the issue and the demonstrations "have made our customers uncomfortable."

Schultz hopes people will honor the request not to bring in guns but says the company will nevertheless serve those who do.

"We will not ask you to leave," he said.

The Seattle-based company plans to buy ad space in major national newspapers including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and USA Today on Thursday to run an open letter from Schultz explaining the decision. The letter points to recent activities by both gun rights and gun control advocates at its stores, saying that it has been "thrust unwillingly" into the middle of the national debate over firearms.

As for the "Starbucks Appreciation Days" being staged by gun rights advocates, it stresses: "To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores."

But the letter notes that Starbucks is standing by its position that the matter should ultimately be left to lawmakers. Schultz also said he doesn't want to put workers in the position of having to confront armed customers by banning guns.

The AP was provided a picture of a memo to Starbucks employees on Tuesday. Partners are instructed not to confront customers or ask them to leave solely for carrying a weapon.

Several companies do not allow firearms in their stores, however, apparently with little trouble. Representatives for Peet's Coffee & Tea and Whole Foods, for example, said there haven't been any problems with enforcing their gun bans.

Shannon Watts, founder of the gun reform group Moms Demand Action, noted that Starbucks has taken strong stances on other issues. Earlier this year, for example, the company banned smoking within 25 feet of its stores, wherever its leases allowed. The idea was to extend its no-smoking policy to the outdoor seating areas.

"There's a big difference in the connotation of someone holding a gun and someone holding a cigarette," Schultz said.

Moms Demand Action, which was formed the day after the Newtown, Conn., school shooting, has been organizing "Skip Starbucks Saturdays" to urge the coffee company to ban guns at its stores. Participants take photos of themselves at competitors such as Peet's that do not allow guns and post them online.

In the meantime, Starbucks has become a symbol for advocates of gun rights. A website now even sells products bearing an altered version of the Starbucks logo, with the siren holding up a gun in each hand with the words "I Love Guns & Coffee."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/1...-from-stores/?intcmp=latestnews#ixzz2fGOyVaYe

Just an FYI. For those of you familiar with "The Bang Switch".
    http://www.thebangswitch.com/slapping-an-ally-in-the-face/

Slapping an Ally in the Face
    Back in July a pro-gun Facebook page began to organize a Starbucks Appreciation Day to show support for Starbucks’ corporate policy to respect local laws by allowing legally armed citizens to carry in their stores. It’s worth noting that Starbucks didn’t come out and say they advocated the carrying of firearms, only that they would respect local laws and not post signs in their stores barring the practice.

Apparently that was enough to get our community motivated to inundate Starbucks stores across the nation with hundreds of people open carrying their firearms to *show appreciation* for Starbucks policy of neutrality.

Starbucks has been an unwilling participant in the ongoing national gun rights debate for many years. As recently as 2010 Starbucks was being used as a battleground for gun rights by both sides of the political debate. Looking at a press release dated March 16, 2010 we get a glimpse of where Starbucks stands on the issue.

We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. Advocacy groups from both sides of this issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.

While we deeply respect the views of all our customers, Starbucks long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged. We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. That means we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don’t exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited. The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.

At the same time, we have a security protocol for any threatening situation that might occur in our stores. Partners are trained to call law enforcement as situations arise. We will continuously review our procedures to ensure the highest safety guidelines are in place and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement.

We have examined this issue through the lens of partner (employee) and customer safety. Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

As the public debate continues, we are asking all interested parties to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue. As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally. Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

I would like to point out that the position Starbucks has taken is admirable. It’s neutral out of necessity however it clearly states they will honor both federal and local laws governing the carrying of firearms. Good for them, I believe it’s a sensible position for a major corporation to take.

The press release also asks that parties on both sides of the debate refrain from putting Starbucks, or their partners (employees), into the middle of the *divisive issue*. They don’t want to be the battleground for the gun rights debate, they simply want to do what’s right by staying neutral and honoring federal and state laws.

To show our appreciation, our community does the exact opposite of what we’ve been asked to do by a 2nd Amendment friendly business. We organize a national rally to bombard Starbucks stores across the nation with armed gun rights advocates. As a result, their Facebook page has been absolutely overrun with posts from people on both sides of the debate posting their political views, links to news stories, images people walking around armed in front of coffee shops, etc. We’ve drug Starbucks smack dab into the middle of the debate and put them on the spot against their explicit wishes.

We didn’t show our appreciation to Starbucks, we slapped them in the face. The company went so far as to close their Newtown CT store in anticipation of the pending rally.

I see the whole *Starbucks Appreciation Day* as a misstep on our part. I’m all for activism and take part in it myself. I’ve been present at rallies where I’ve open carried — heck I even helped organize such rallies. But to go against the wishes of an ally like Starbucks and make their business a focal point in the national gun rights debate, when they’ve asked us not to do so, is irresponsible. As a matter of fact, because of our actions, I wouldn’t be surprised if Starbucks reconsiders their corporate policy. Let’s hope that’s not the case.

We can be vocal, we can even be loud, but we need to be calculated and purposeful in our actions. We also need to be respectful to businesses that support our rights and not go out of our way to burn bridges with them.

If you want to show your appreciation to Starbucks, buy their coffee and encourage others to do the same. If you want to organize a 2nd Amendment rally, pick a public area or a business that’s anti-gun. But let’s try to avoid alienating allies by drawing them into the line of fire when they’ve specifically asked us not to do so.

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Cue the open carry zealots to show up en mass and use their default answer of "you don't have a sign posted" and " I know my rights", thereby ruining it for everyone.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Oh, and before any of you get your panties in a wad, no, I don't feel everyone that open carries is a zealot, idiot, retard, etc. There are persons fitting that description that don't even own guns. Buuuuut, if you strap your pistols in a thigh holster and make it a point to go to Starbucks (or Walmart, the mall, etc) just "because you can", then yes, you probably fit in each of the above descriptions and many more.
    It seems as there a few camps on the subject:
    Occasional open carriers- usually level headed, don't carry a flashy gun and simply say yes sit when asked to leave from somewhere because of their gun
    Open carry nazis- open carry everywhere, usually in a cheap generic holster with as much attention dream to them as possible, know the exact wording Of any law pertaining to carrying but not much else, have no idea how retarded they actually are
    Normal people that know its fine to open carry but choose not to- average guy that knows enough about the laws to stay out of trouble and minds own business, doesn't care if others open carry, knows a idiot when he sees one
    Ignorant of the law persons that think it is illegal to have a gun in public- self explanatory, usually the ones that call 911 when they see anyone with a gun they cannot positively Id as a cop

Top Bottom