Open carried for the first time today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Same team!

I'm sorry. Yes, I want us all to be on the same team as much as possible.

As far as OC, alot of it comes from pro-gov people who appreciate the .gov letting us have some of what we want, and not-so-pro-gov people, who are never satisfied with half full glasses.

:D

dawg has been snide about this stuff before, and I didn't expect you to be, you just got caught up in the tail wind for a moment.

icon_smile_blush.gif

The thing is- same team against who? United against gun grabbers? That would be a start. My position is that those who deny anyone from concealing or open carrying are gun grabbers.

I would encourage us not to be single issue 'civil rightists', though. The RKBA is just a tiny fraction of the field of human rights. Let's be united against any infringement on them all.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    My problem is not with peoples choices or opinions. Those differ.

Again, I have never intentionally slighted LEOs in general. I may have had disagreements with some in particular, but that is immaterial to their being LEOs.

By the way, I just noticed the "detached from reality" bit? WTF?

My Sheriff's Department is one of my customers. I also have customers who are officers and detectives with the SPD. Do you think those people use me because I am 'detached from reality,' or a respectful professional?

Let's see. I have a beautiful pro-gun wife, own a home and 4 acres, have a successful business, raise very troubled foster kids (without the use of drugs!), employ other people, manage the largest pro-gun informational web site in the State, and am working toward starting a summer camp for children. Who exactly would you consider to have a grip on reality?

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    ... I'm guessing you mean no LE/mil background. No worries there, I don't have that either...

What about training or competition? My reasons for asking are honorable, I assure you.

I have no formal firearms training outside of hunters safety, many years ago. Shoot a lot, many thousands of rounds per year in various firearms.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    ^^^^^

Hehheh. I just noticed for the first time tonight that I am averaging about 18,000 rounds a year. No wonder I am broke half the time. Its easy not to notice the cost when you don't buy it by the case.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I say we have a crawfish boil at the BZ. The again, I can't call for that since I can't show up until the last weekend of March at the earliest since I'm on weekend nights until then. :rofl:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I do listen to other people's opinions. That's better than pissing on the electric fence myself.

I just want people to respect each other's right to make our own decisions and mistakes.

That goes for all aspects of life, not just web forums. :D

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I say we have a crawfish boil at the BZ. The again, I can't call for that since I can't show up until the last weekend of March at the earliest since I'm on weekend nights until then. :rofl:

Yeah Dude, WTF is up with that. You got something against a bunch of guys going out into the woods and shoot guns?!?! Oh, wait, it's the SLAKERS.;):mamoru: I understand now! Or maybe you are a figment of our imagination!:rofl::rofl:

Dave

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Sigh. Okay; score a point for you.

But nowhere in that thread did _I_ say the right was forfeited; and that was MY point.

You said that Randy was a good guy, and that he wouldn't have said that if he didn't know what he was talking about (which is essentially the same thing).

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    No. I am totally cool with people disagreeing with me or questioning me. It's just that four people in the time I have been here have not been able to do that without being a jerk about it. Others have been able to do that without being a jerk. The disagreements and the disrespect are not synonymous. I should think most impartial observers could see that.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    What I think is that you are one of those four I mentioned, so you hardly count as an impartial observer.

That's enough, though. Let's get this thread back on topic- let's take it to pm or agree to disagree, as usual.

zitch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Ya know, I'm no card-carrying statistical analyst, but I see a trend here; to wit, anyone who disagrees with you, or calls you on your thoughts/statements, is a jerk.

I believe that specific response was to the unnecessary jab at the end of the post before that. Granted, I don't know about other times he's saying someone is acting like a jerk.

Now to step back a bit to the original topic, I open carried in a public area for the first time last week (I've open carried at home, in my yard, and at the office after hours, but not so much in a real public area). I was picking up some food for my girlfriend, who was working armed as a security guard. In this situation, I usually go armed as well. I was a bit dressed up with a blue collared shirt tucked into black slacks with my Beretta 92 in a holster hanging on my right hip when I went into a Subway restaurant at around 8 PM. There was only a couple of other customers in the place: an adult woman and, I assume, her pre-teen daughter. Other than the girl taking glances at it (I smiled and waved to her once), nobody in the place seemed to mind. If they were nervous about it, they really didn't show it. I made and paid for my order without any incident.

I wouldn't open carry anywhere that has a significant crowd (I.E., a moderately busy Walmart would be too crowdy for me), but I am working towards getting my conceal carry permit so I can do so in those situations (and most other situations, truthfully). But I would like to be able to open carry in certain situations in a public area if I feel there is an advantage to me (and others) doing so. And in such situations, I will try to dress up a bit. Hell, there's at least one anecdote where someone open carrying actually thwarted a bank robbery without even putting a hand on his weapon.

In truth, I would actually feel safer if I knew other trustworthy civilians were openly carrying (or if I know they are conceal carrying) around me.

Last edited:

Slow

I Support Human Culling
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Hell, jump on in. They're just toe-poppers; no claymores in this lot, since the opposing side is all about theory and "what's right"; and the law of averages ("I've carried openly in over 100 places"..., etc.)... as opposed to hard reality.

Unlike you, most of them have never faced the elephant for real, when the chips were REALLY down and it was over in seconds. You can try the same reasoned arguments I did; they don't buy these, and since their collective scope is limited, they dismiss our concerns as the rantings of JBTs or whatever.

So give it your best shot (to make them understand); you'll fail.;)

Afterward, you can sit back and be amused, occasionally throwing in your two cents. This place is GT with a bit smaller participatory base; but the same mix of mind-sets.

what is your point here? get off of your high horse. you are no better than the rest of us, so save the jerk off comments for somewhere else. it seems like every time a discussion comes up you do one of two things, play your LEO version of the race card, or try to belittle everyone. quite frankly i am not surprised by this, in fact i have come to expect this from you. you think that because you are a cop that your opinion holds more credibility. well guess what ass hole, youre making yourself sound like one of those "jack booted thugs."

i cant change your opinion, nor do i care to, however nobody directed anything like you did in that quote, save that kind of **** for private messages, it was uncalled for and it makes you look like a piece of ****.

here is to you Mr. Lsp, from me, a lowly civilian who dont understand the "hard reality" that you speak of. so just sit back that throw in your 2cents if it makes you feel better about yourself, but if you cant be polite about it then **** OFF

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom