open carry of a holstered pistol under 21

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Wait the 2 months and get your permit. It would not be a good thing if you are open carrying and have an encounter that might cause you problems getting your permit. I would also suggest buying a pistol and get some good training before open or legally conceal your gun. Good luck to you and be safe. It's nice to see young people excited about protecting themselves but please do it responsibly.
    I know you are right but I still don't like it. I would hope that with all the recent publicity the number of police officers that don't know current law is small. This is still America we live in.

Last edited:

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    I started open carrying when I was 18. Never had any problems other than the local LEOs not knowing it was legal. After I let them know I was legal and harmless, I was good to go.
    I was also asked to leave the Baker walmart once.

M-66supersingle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    where are you located? and how often do you carry

I live near New Iberia but go to UL, so I OC in both cities every day when I'm off campus. I've been around a few (maybe 3) officers who saw my gun but they had no reaction :D. the only problem I had was the crew at the starbucks in new iberia did not know about their own company policy and told me i could not carry. A few calls to customer service and an apology from the district manager fixed that. Everytime I carry i get asked stuff like (is that real, do you need a permit, are you a cop) but I find most people who ask me have good things to say. Just make sure you carry yourself in a professional manner and be polite at all times.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Wait the 2 months and get your permit. It would not be a good thing if you are open carrying and have an encounter that might cause you problems getting your permit. I would also suggest buying a pistol and get some good training before open or legally conceal your gun. Good luck to you and be safe. It's nice to see young people excited about protecting themselves but please do it responsibly.

This, and remember, even if you are right, you can be arrested for anything. If you ever are dealing with LEOs who don't know the laws, don't do something that would actually stick against you in court.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    In my opinion, your biggest danger open carrying is you can easily find yourself within 1000 feet of a school and not even know it. Maybe I am wrong and no one actually gets charged with open carrying in a firearms free zone?

ccomeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Lafayette Area
    §95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

However:
    New Orleans Ordinance,
    Sec. 54-340. Possession of firearms or ammunition by minors.
    (a) Except as provided in this section, no person under the age of 18 years of age shall carry or have in his possession, any firearm as defined in section 54-1.
    (b) Except as provided in this section, no person under the age of 18 years of age shall carry or have in his possession any ammunition as defined in this section.

-------------------------------------
    You just need to know the local laws for your area, it can change from city to city. Keep in mind that you will probably be questioned. Just be prepared to deal with it and remember that your attitude is EVERYTHING

Last edited:
    Top Bottom