Opinions on chiropractic

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I had a GOOD chiropractor many years ago that saved my job by getting me able to keep working. My back was giving me so much trouble it was getting to the point where I couldn't work and he was able to get me going again. We went from 3 visits a week down to 1 a week and then twice a month. After Dan died, I couldn't find another who could do what Dan did without having me come in multiple times a week and that was simply out of the question given my finances. Later on when things got much worse, no chiropractor would have helped. It all depends on the issue and the chiropractor as to what they can and can't do.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I second levieux's opinion.

I will say this though.... physical therapy does work, especially for back pain, and my second stop (after seeing an MD) would be a physical therapist.

90% of back pain self resolves.

And no ... back surgeons do not claim a 90% failure rate. Logic would state that medicine has a 100% failure rate, since we all die anyway.

I third LeVieux and second Turtle. Chiropractic benefits are transitory and quite possibly a placebo effect.

Getting into a good physical therapist is a great idea. I went to BRPT-Lake, right off Goodwood behind Women's and they were terrific. The PT was Lance Soileau. Highly recommended.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I third LeVieux and second Turtle. Chiropractic benefits are transitory and quite possibly a placebo effect.That's why I posted about the 'able to turn one way'... I used to think the same thing. Till I had em work on me.

Getting into a good physical therapist is a great idea. I went to BRPT-Lake, right off Goodwood behind Women's and they were terrific. The PT was Lance Soileau. Highly recommended.

As to 'real doctors' and 'PT'

'REAL doctors' are the ones who SCREWED UP 2 out of 3 of my surgeries.

BADLY.

As to Physical Therapy... I go 3x per week.

1x per week to 'nonreal' Deap tissue massage.

The PT does little.

the 1x per week does more.

DO NOT trust the 'Medical industry'... It's an industry.

Do YOUR OWN research.

My $0.02 based on the last 5 years of PAIN.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I third LeVieux and second Turtle. Chiropractic benefits are transitory and quite possibly a placebo effect.

I fourth LeVieux, third Turtle, and second this guy!

:)

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Physical Therapy and chiropractic are not the same thing. They may use some similar methods, but they are far from the same thing.

Physical Therapy is based on solid science.

Of course, some MD's & some PT's are better than others.

Be very, very careful about any back or neck surgery.

I have spent much of my life in back disease and have taught spine diagnosis at Medical School for years.

I do not treat patients any more, except for spinal injections. I usually can give an opinion from images or arrange for proper imaging to be done. I do not charge, as I work full time for LSU.

I find that many are very hard-headed about what should be done, especially about where to go if one does need an operation. I only recommend surgeons that other doctors use for their own surgeries. It is very unlikely that I would recommend your local doctor for a spinal operation.

Take it or leave it; I am too old to argue and everyone's case is unique.

You have our own Charles Hollier, P.T. nearby. I would start by seeing him for a very basic evaluation and recommendation. P.T.'s do not make official diagnoses, but may be a good source of info and advice, similar to a pharmacist for medications.

leVieux

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I know some people that swear by chiropractors. They say they feel like the chiropractors are like family, that they've been seeing them for decades! One even sponsors her bowling team! WTF? if you have a back injury you shouldn't be bowling... also, if chiropractic medicine (or whatever they call it) worked then the problem would be fixed. Soon, like weeks, not after decades! Not made to feel better, repaired.

sanstom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    There are a lot of chiropractic clinics, in particular with in terms of family chiropractic needs. I can say that they are effective and it gives you good things to really learn upon on this one. I hope that everything would be very effective in terms of it.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I'm not going to even wade into giving advice as I know that regular MDs don't like Chiros. However, from my personal experience, I'm glad to have used mine in the past. I've been in several car accidents over the years, usually being hit from behind. Also, I stand all day at work, which compresses my lower back mainly. After this last accident, about 8 years ago, I couldn't hardly walk around without pain.

After a series of treatments, about once per week for about 3 months or so, the pain gradually went away. Now, I maybe visit him once a year. My wife goes a little more often but she has problems in other areas such as up towards her shoulders. I'll just say that generally I feel a little sore after a treatment, but thereafter I feel a lot better. It's a great way to relieve tension and ease back pain in my opinion and experience.

If you think you may have something serious wrong with your back, you'd probably want to see a regular doctor though.

~rc~

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Ive hurt my back a few times (minor to moderate), and after a few sessions at the chiropractor (no more than 2 or 3) I am always back to feeling %100. Different strokes for different folks, but its worked well for me and I'm sticking to it.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I stopped going to chiro when they screwed up my back. Seriously.

I go to a PT if I have a muscular/skeletal problem.

Chiros can help, if they know their limitations.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

In the past 40 years I have used Chiropractic, Osteopathy, Massage Therapy, Acupressure, Acupuncture, Physical Therapy and Other. I will avoid the debate on the results of each.
    If you need someone for PT in the BR area I also highly recommend Lance Soileau.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Chiropractic feels good but doesn't last or correct the underlying problems. You might look into inversion therapy. I have a Teeter Hang Up that helps. Stretching is very important, tight hamstrings in the legs can aggravate the muscles of the lower back.

100% correct. I have a ruptured disc in my lower back and it has been that way for about 25 years. I started doing stiff leg dead lifts with a broom handle and after I mastered the broom handle, I progressed with weights. I haven't done the weights in 15 plus years, but occasionally stretch. I almost never have ANY back pain. Doctors attribute my success to building muscle support and stretching the connective tissue.

If you have questions pm me for my number.

Buddy

mikeinneworlean

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    i started having issues with a pinched nerve in 2006, and the neurologist i saw told me that unless the pain became unbearable, do not have surgery.
    I tried a chiropractor in Metairie, decided he was a quack, and quit going going.
    Pain got worse, a buddy of mine recomended Dr. Rea Cupp in Metairie, and i started seeing her.
    She stopped the pain in my back, and the numbness in my fingers is almost entirely gone.
    My range of motion in my neck is better, as is my posture.

I've talked to folks - it seems that this form of medicine/therapy is like any other - you have good doctors and bad doctors.
    I'm glad i found a good one, because the pain was getting unbearable before i started seeing her.

bravobadger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    As others have mentioned, chiropractors are a quick fix. A long term solution would include some kind of physical therapy program to strengthen and rehab the muscles. That being said, if the program the doc recommends doesn't work, tell him. Don't be afraid to find a better doc. No one should be content living with chronic pain if it can be better managed by better professionals. Also, do your research. People are eager to sell things to other people in pain.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I know when I was about 13 years old, I was in a small accident with my father when someone backed up to us. I was okay until 2 days later I couldn't move my neck and it was a horrible pain (of course I was only 13 years old lol), and I was brought to a chiropractic and after two sessions I was feeling great again. I do believe they serve a great purpose

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    After years of neck and upper back pain(sometimes so bad I couldn't sleep more than an hour or two), and visits to a number of different medical doctors, I went to a chiropractor. None of the doctors could find a problem, they always said it was a pulled muscle. When he adjusted ny neck, it was like turning off a switch. I couldn't believe how much less pain there was. If I wait too long between visits, I start to hurt more.
    Since then I have used 4 different chiropractors. Each has examined me, then pointed out the same problems the others found. There must be something to it.
    I don't go often anymore, but sometimes the pain is enough to make me go again.
    I don't care if they're quacks, witchdoctors, or whatever. They have been helping me for 10 years.

Top Bottom