opinions on the remington R-25

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    I was looking into an AR recently and after debating between getting a 5.56 and a .308 i believe i will go with the big boy.

Academy has a Remington R-25 (which i believe is a DPMS built LR 308) and while i dont necessaraly care for the camo pattern i do like the forward assist/shell deflector and dust cover.

d40mg8qzn3nc5mylfok.bmp

My real question is how reliable/good is this rifle.

I have done a little research online and i get conflicting information such as: its accurate but has a horible trigger, it doesn't like NATO but likes cheap federal, ect. ect.

I guess I am asking if anyone has some hands on experience with one and what is your opinion.

Also i have a limeted budget so any builds that are more that 1600 are out of the question.

GB300wm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Brusly, La.
    I have a buddy who has a R-25 in .308 and he loves it. Very accurate. If I'm not mistaken, Remington owns Bushmaster and I would believe that this rifle has Bushmaster engineering in its design.:):)

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    See this previous Thread.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42792&highlight=r-25

Also Check out the DPMS website.

That thread doesnt have much information on the gun specificaly. I was hoping some members could give first hand opinions and likes/dislikes about the remington.

@300 Win Mag- That is the other gun that i was seriously considering, but I already have a mini-14 that serves very well and i love the .308. I will admit that it is a very hard choice tho.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    So Far Very Impressive.
    Shooting with a 1x dot scope, it groups better than I can aim it at 100 yards.
    I have a 3x10 scope on the second rifle, but haven't shot it yet.
    I'll post a report when I get to shoot it.

100 yards w/ Eotech clone vs. Prairie Dog target = 1.5" group.
    Hard to keep the dot centered on the dog's white dot because the red dot is bigger than the white 1" circle on the target.

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    Ok, that sounds pretty good.

To be honest, the biggest reason i am planning on getting the R-25 instead of a custom ordered DPMS is because i can get rifle, bipod, and a bushnell trophy xlt for about $1335 after tax.

I checked the DPMS websight and built a LR 308 with the features of the Remington and it comes out to $1196 before tax, shipping, and transfer fees.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Free float barrel, no chrome, 1x10 twist 18" stock trigger, it sucks, I have a JP in it now, cyro treament, but havan't had a chance to shoot it with the new stuff, that was using privi partizan 168gr match, cheapest ammo I could find, hopefully my hand loads will do better

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    Nice. How much was the gun before the cryo and trigger?
    And do you have any recomended features. I am looking for a accurate rifle, not a CQB gun.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    $900.00 rifle, $112.00 JP trigger, $100.00 cyro, I did the whole rifle, everything, I would try t get one with rifle length gas and rifle length free float tube

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    What do you wan't to do with this gun?

A bit of everything really.
    SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, Hunting, Target shooting, looks, adaptability...
    I want something that is accurate and reliable even when i feed it with fairly cheap ammo.

I have always liked the LR 308s, but when I added up the cost of this rifle and all the extras i would come out prety far ahead. The only downside is the camo but i could get that fixed if it really starts to annoy me.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Armalite AR10T. Of the 2nd Tier AR10 type guns its my fav. Thats my 2 cents. If I had a bigger budget I would go KAC or Noveske. My AR10T has been fairly reliable and accurate since I got it about 7 years ago. You will not find accuracy with cheap ammo. Shooting cheap bullets will add at least an MOA to your rifle, probably more.

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    I know that cheap ammo isn't the most accurate, but I would rather have 2 inch groups every other weekend vs every 3 months.

However I have had good luck with the monarch brass .308. I have gotten nice 1 inch groups at a hundred yards and it is only 15 bucks at academy, so I have hope for decent accuracy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom