Paleo Diet

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I can honestly say I have never followed a fad diet in my life. However a med school buddy of mine in insane shape told me about the paleo diet. I read the creators book and it makes perfect sense. In my mind it is a reverse engineering of the digestive system of modern man in which the author factors in the millions of years of evolution that has designed our GI system as well as the past 10,000 years of agriculture that has thrown us for a loop nutritionally.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts where on the subject.....

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I've been trying it for a week just based on what I've read online. I've been having much more energy and feeling not as crappy in general. I like it and i'm gonna buy the book whenever I can get to barnes and noble.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I've been trying it for a week just based on what I've read online. I've been having much more energy and feeling not as crappy in general. I like it and i'm gonna buy the book whenever I can get to barnes and noble.

PM sent. Also how did you feel a few days in? I felt like ****.

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Is anybody on it utilizing protein supplements? I was doing whey protein however it obviously can't be used following this diet. I was wondering what everyone else was using for supplementation.

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    The people I know on it don't follow it to the T. They basically avoid anything made from grain, but most still eat/drink dairy and I know they still take vitamins.

It's not like if you modify it slightly the paleo police will kick down your door and rip out your duodenum.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm about 95% paleo in that i still use whey protein and vitamins. i don't do dairy (not because of paleo, i'm just not much on dairy), no grains, bread, etc.

this is a pretty good read:
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

Yah I do whey protein as well. I was thinking about switching over to an egg based protein possibly. I literally can't eat after working out. Half the time I have to excuse myself vomit and finish my last reps.

I still eat yogurt and limited milk, minimized bread.

Sushi is still on the menu occasionally.

I haven't lost nearly as much as Spankster but the diet makes a certain amount of sense. So do a lot of others. I'm still searching for the right long term blend for me.

Well the diet makes sense but they are blowing it out of proportion obviously for sale purposes. Everyone talks as if the average homo sapien pre-agriculture was a demi-god. In all reality they lived to be in their mid 20's. Hell how many aborigines do you see that are out of shape? The facts are though we are designed to digest certain types of food. With the introduction of modern agriculture we have ample resources and no longer have evolution breathing down our necks. We are stuck in somewhat of a physical evolutionary stagnant state.

Also any excuse to get yogurt and all soy products out of my refrigerator I am supporting.

Last edited:

Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    Pish-posh to this paleo stuff and other named diets. I feel any time someone puts a label on something a person feels the need embrace said labeled product as the end-all-be-all to whatever issue or need they want to fill. I have no idea the type of meal plan I'm on. I don't know how my blood sugar is, if my high cholesterol has dropped, if I'm deficient in certain vitamins, etc. The only thing I DO know is that last March I seriously started eating 5-6 meals a day with reduced bad fats, increased my fiber intake big time, and exercise 6 times a week through a combination of weights and cardio. I lost 50 pounds to go from 200 to 150 5'4" and over 6" from my waist and the same for my hips. I haven't a clue if I'm eating paleo food and I don't care. The foods I eat are healthy, contain good fats, good carbs and protein; plain and simple. It's like the cherrios commercial says, "eat healthy, live happy." Screw everything else with a name.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Pish-posh to this paleo stuff and other named diets. I feel any time someone puts a label on something a person feels the need embrace said labeled product as the end-all-be-all to whatever issue or need they want to fill. I have no idea the type of meal plan I'm on. I don't know how my blood sugar is, if my high cholesterol has dropped, if I'm deficient in certain vitamins, etc. The only thing I DO know is that last March I seriously started eating 5-6 meals a day with reduced bad fats, increased my fiber intake big time, and exercise 6 times a week through a combination of weights and cardio. I lost 50 pounds to go from 200 to 150 5'4" and over 6" from my waist and the same for my hips. I haven't a clue if I'm eating paleo food and I don't care. The foods I eat are healthy, contain good fats, good carbs and protein; plain and simple. It's like the cherrios commercial says, "eat healthy, live happy." Screw everything else with a name.

Well diet and exercise work. No Doubt.

In regards to your claim that the foods you eat are healthy, contain good fats, good carbs etc. Well not everyone agrees with what those are.....

Last edited:

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm pretty sure Spanky is on some version of it.

I looked at the paleo Diet. It has some good points but it takes the view that mans digestive system has not evolved in a million years. there are also contradictions if you read into it. I am sort of on that diet but more as a low carb high protein type of thing. The bottom line is to loose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in,.. its not rocket science. I limit myself to about 1200 calories a day and write down every thing I eat. I have a bad back right now and exercise is out of the question for me now but I am loosing weight. Before I hurt my Back I just cut carbs like bread and rice, walked 3 miles a day and lost 35 lbs.

Kudos to Spanky though he found what works for him.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA

Great post. Thats pretty much my philosophy too. As of yesterday my body fat analyzer showed 9.6% @160#. What did I eat for dinner? Tyson chicken nuggets, tater totts and canned corn. For me its about portion control. As long as I keep my calories in check who cares about fat,carbs, sugars ect. Also cardio is a big piece of the puzzle. Last night I drank 3 Abita Andygators and ate meatoaf and mac and cheese from a restaurant. I only ate half my plate. I also ran 5K and went to the gym for 4 minutes as well. Like I said... calorie control.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Wow! Most of you guys are still young. You shouldn't be having all these worries about being overweight. Now those of you that just want to be in excellent phyiscal shape are a different story.

But really, if you are only 30 years old, and you are fretting your love handles; you have to cut back on the crap you are eating and move around a little.

Guys, when I was 30; I don't think my body fat was even a consideration(and I drank beer(and lots of it), everyday). But if you are having issues with weight now, I am telling you it is way, way worse at 49.

Sir Isaac, I think our nation's gradual increase in "sedentary jobs/games" over the past few decades is a better reason than the evolution of mankind.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    So a named "diet"/eating plan = garbage?

yea b/c I'm not on it!

I'm fit and I don't need no stinking play-do diet to be in shape and screw everyone who is working to get in shape b/c they should have never gotten out of shape in the first place b/c they are too young to be out of shape! Jeez! Wake up Jeremy!

You know how it is.

:mamoru:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom