Panther Spotted Near Office Building in Covington

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Looks like a common house cat to me. No where large enough to be a panther. There is nothing but grass and weeds to judge the size by. Are there any other pictures to prove size?

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Huh.?? No such animal in La....ask the L.D.W.F....ccc...

We have been seeing them in Washington Parish for years . Usually around Sept is when they are most active here. The sound is unlike anything I have ever heard.

We had one in a pine tree in front yard , at dusk several years ago. Watch out St. Tammany folk.

Last edited:

jemayeux

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Beaumont, TX
    I saw one in the Basin about 15 years ago. Its body length was the width of the board road, (from head to tail). I jumped out the truck and charged into the woods with my new ruger 10/22. Since i'm here typing it should be obvious i didn't find him.

Yep! I was an 18 year old moron. Beautiful animal.

anakha

ljp#6749
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    monroe
    i had one run under my deer stand in swartz when i was about 12, he was chasing a rabbit, it was around 4pm and i didnt get out of the stand until my dad came and got me out at around 9pm(he was back at the camp hangin out, figured i just fell asleep). about 2 years ago my wife and i were driving through chatam and as we crossed a bridge i saw one on the right hand side of the bridge, she didnt see it, she saw the dog on the other side of the bridge which i assume was going to be a meal

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like my house cat.
    In everything that I have read, there has been no instance of a black color phase (melanistic) Florida panther, puma, cougar, mountain lion (Puma concolor). This is noted by all scientists, zoo keepers, breeders of captive cats and government resource managers whose books or articles I have read.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I though LA dwf finally admitted they are here a couple years back?
    I did love the approach though: They do not exist here! So, if I see one, I should shoot it and then I have proof? No, you will go to jail for killing the animal that does not exist! I know they have tried to blame a few of the indisputable confirmed sightings on illegally possessed personal pets that escaped.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Looks like my house cat.
    In everything that I have read, there has been no instance of a black color phase (melanistic) Florida panther, puma, cougar, mountain lion (Puma concolor). This is noted by all scientists, zoo keepers, breeders of captive cats and government resource managers whose books or articles I have read.

All I know was about 20 years ago I lived in Springfield and there was lots of talk about a black panther...

I found tracks and heard the 'scream'

Never saw it so I can't say as to color.

This comes up here every so often. Last time (Yearish ago) there was some discussion about 'whatever big cat it is' migrating up from Central America.

Apparently it's possible.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Looks like my house cat.

They're not going to like you around here, but I agree. :)

Back when we talked on CB's about 7 out of 10 people had one behind their house in the woods. Never could figure out why nobody had one in front. :dunno:

latour50

Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Thats a house cat, just look at the shape of the head. I did see a small, (about 90 lbs), one a couple of years ago on LSU's campus, but it was the normal tan color.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It looks like a house cat. Not muscular enough.

And BTW, DO NOT- under any circumstances- Google "black cougar" if you have children in the room.....:eek4:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Yeah, people in Louisiana have been seeing these for decades and decades. But this was the first picture ever taken:rolleyes:
    There are animals in this world that only a few are left in existence and they can be found and filmed, but not this LA panther.
    I have to go to bed now, early start in the morning. Goin bigfoot huntin

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    It looks like a house cat. Not muscular enough.

And BTW, DO NOT- under any circumstances- Google "black cougar" if you have children in the room.....:eek4:

I don't know about your google, but black cougar on my google shows white cougars and black roosters....

PS: That's why "safe search" is a *nice* thing. ;)

Top Bottom