Pass my Ham Technician test

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    So... I'm a new HAM now, KF5JKB... I bought a Yaesu VX-6R handheld... now the question is... I'm in Mandeville, and work in NOLA... I know we have some HAM's on here... anyone frequent any repeaters I might be able to hit?

Aaron

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Welcome to the hobby. KC5SAS here. I was at the Hammond Hamfest today. Did you go? I'm not sure about repeaters in your area but I know the Hammond 147.000 repeater is a good wide are machine. Negative offset with a 107 PL tone.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    hey steve,

No, I couldn't make it... I was at the CES show for work, and didn't get back until 5 :-(

Thanks for the info... I don't think I can hit that repeater from my place... I guess I need an upgrade :D

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Congrads Aaron KF5JKB , I am K5RZZ in Franklinton . You might be interested in this site
    http://www.arrl.org/. Also we have a 2 meter repeater at Pine ,La.145.430 with tone of 107.2 down 600 to transmit.
    Welcome to the world of Ham radio . I am not very active anymore although I have all the equipment.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Go to ARRL and order a repeater directory..they make a small one you can keep in your pocket or glove box when travelling. Real handy to have when programming your HT. You got KD5DYM here. 73's!

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    hey steve,

No, I couldn't make it... I was at the CES show for work, and didn't get back until 5 :-(

Thanks for the info... I don't think I can hit that repeater from my place... I guess I need an upgrade :D

Congratulations. Did you take your test in Hammond? If so, SELARC has another repeater at the hospital there on 145.430 - same PL. It usually covers a little better to the east than the 147 does. On the 147, make sure you set the repeater input frequency to -600khz. Most radios will automatically assign +600. That repeater has a link on +600 in Kentwood. If you get through, there's an ARES net on Monday nights at 8:30pm and you are welcome to check in to just say hello or test your radio. SELARC has their regular club meeting next Thursday at 7:00pm. It isn't announced on the web page yet but is usually at the Ponchatoula community center or in a classroom on SLU campus. Check http://www.selarc.org/. You're welcome to attend the meeting and can get all the advice you want ( and maybe some you don't). Lots of good people there willing to help new hams.

You can try a mobile or fixed antenna - anything will open up many more repeaters to you. Make one from coat hangers, coax, copper j-poles, etc. Search ARRL for plans.

Good luck, PM if you need any help.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Youve got a good radio there. I have a FT-60R and use the ADMS programming software and if you don't have any programming software I would look into getting one...it makes programming a cinch. That plus your directory will have you talking in no time. Got my programming software from RandL electronics. Very competitive pricing and have used them for years for stuff....they also sell used/demo units.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Welcome to the hobby. K5HDE here. Lookup info at www.qrz.com.

The SELARC 147 repeater might be your best bet. 147.000 -600 PL107.2. You should be able to hit the SELARC 147 machine. It's only 28 miles. Shouldn't be too hard. If not with the bare VX-6 then get a mag mount antenna and stick on something metal. Vehicle, pizzia pan, whatever. If that still can't get you kerchunking the machine post back, many other options.

I'll be at the SELARC meeting Thursday, 13 Jan. Come join us.

Now, start studying for General. I'll give you the study materials.

Last edited:

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    hey guys,

Thanks for the good info. I'll try to hit the SELARC repeater... I think the mobile antenna with a cookie tray will have to do for now, since I'm in an apartment! lol.

I took the test in Hammond on 12/26...I always wanted to do it, and I finally decided to go take the test. I think I'm going to try to make the SELARC meeting...sounds like a good idea!

iamdat,

I googled "amateur radio study guides", and found all sorts of information, even practice tests online. I'm an electrical engineer by trade, so a lot of the test was information I already knew... even given that, I don't think it's difficult at all if you study for it.

K5HDE,

Wow, just read your QRZ profile...I scuba dive too, always wanted to skydive... just never worked up the nerve! General is definitely next, I'll hopefully see you on thursday.

Aaron

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    i wish i knew more about this subject, it seems cool. how does one get into and learn about this?

Congrads , always wanted to get mine .

Here's how I went about it. Mix and match to suit your learning style.

Pick up the Tech and General study guides from the ARRL.
    http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-License-Manual-Revised-2nd-Edition/
    http://www.arrl.org/shop/General-Class-License-Manual-Revised-6th-Edition/

For practice tests visit http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

Hit the Ham Radio forum on AR15.com then go to the Ham Radio 101 sticky.

Read the ARRL Tech study guide. About an hour a day should do it. Backfill that info with info from ARF.com. Hit the practice tests on QRZ.com. Two or three times a day. Once you're consistently hitting 90% or better on the Tech practice test, start studying for General. There is a lot of overlap between the two. You'll thank me later.

When you think you are ready, go to a exam session. The FCC doesn't administer the exams any more. All done by volunteers. Hence the name VE session for Volunteer Examiner. $18 exam fee. No license fee. If you pass Tech you are given a free chance for the next higher license. Most ham clubs in the area host VE sessions so it isn't a big deal to find one. Once you pass it will take about a week for your new call sign to show up in the FCC database. Once in the database you can start transmitting.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Wayne Gordon, education coordinator for the Baton Rouge Amatuer Radio Club, is planning on putting on class this year. He does at least one most years. He says that this one will be a combined Tech/General class. When he gets things ironed out and has the dates set I'll post an announcement here so anyone interested can get in on it. Wayne is a great teacher and his classes are always full.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Congrats.
    Ham / SW is something that I always wanted to get into.
    I have a old Hallicrafters S-85 that I crank up from time to time. This thing is older than me but still works great. :D

Art

Top Bottom