Pellet Guns - Is stepping up to .22 worth it?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I've shot .177 all my life, like I'm sure everyone here has. I'm thinking of getting another pellet gun and was considering going with .22 caliber. I was looking at the Benjamin Trail NP, but I'm not married to it. I've heard good and bad about the Gamo so unsure about those. Anywho, in your opinion, is it worth stepping up to a .22 caliber or just stick with .177? Mostly just plinking but I'll also be thinning out a herd of wild squirrel at the inlaws house for them (damn critters keep stealing their pecans). No plans on hunting coyotes or Cape Buffalo with it. :D What say you guys?

Last edited:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I got a Hatsan .22 a while back to dispatch of critters going after my chickens. It does the job and is nice to just shoot targets with as well.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'd say your best bet is a good .177 pellet designed for hunting. Just check for accuracy in your gun and go to killin' critters. I don't see a need for .22 pellets. Plus just changing pellets is the cheap route.

Legalities of it are up to you.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I've always had a .22 air rifle. I don't use it very much anymore, but I do bring it to the stand when I get fed up with the coons. It works wonderfully.

My buddy got a Benjamin NP a while back and it's awesome. A good bit quieter than the spring piston guns. He hasn't had any issues on squirrels and coons, and I would definitely buy one if I was going to purchase another one.

I currently have an RWS 52, which weighs about 10 lbs with the scope.... it's a beautiful gun but I get pretty tired of lugging that thing around.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Probably depends more on what ranges you are shooting. A .177 is faster and flatter longer than a .22 is. I tried a .22 for a while thinking it would be better, but for the ranges I like to shoot (60-80 yds) i just did better with the .177 so I gave it to my nephew. I have an old RWS Diana which is a heavy sucker, but 1100fps puts the hurt on stuff if you put the shot where it counts. A pass through is usual even on coons.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Oh Geez, I researched the crap out of this a couple of years ago. For meat hunting, it's .22 hands down. I've taken a couple dozen rabbits with mine.

Google it, there's a ton of info out there.

And once you get into it, make sure to check out this guy's YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...j3j1.4.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.M6DrWDK8Trk
    I also researched it a bit before I bought mine earlier this year, and all in all a .22 was better.

I have a Gamo .22 that puts the PBA pellets down range at 975 ft per second. I shoot non PBAs probably somewhere around the 700 FPS range and it still packs more of a whallop than the .177 does. I have shot my gun next to a .177 and the .22 is quieter due to the pellet being a bit slower, which was a plus for me.

As for accuracy, I have been hitting quarter sized groups at around 30 yards. If you are ever in BR, you are welcome to come try it out.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I used to shoot a .22 pellet gun regularly (break barrel czech model). I found it quieter than equivalent .177's. Also, the pellets are a little bigger making them easier to handle and load if you're in a hurry. Just my humble opinion.

My next one will be a .22...

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I've only found the .177 in the gun I wanted and I really wanted something for this weekend to take out some squirrels at the in laws house. May just go that route and look at a .22 later.

There is a Gamo Whisper in .22 available for about the same price. Not sure of the Gamo is equal to the Benjamin Trail though.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I've only found the .177 in the gun I wanted and I really wanted something for this weekend to take out some squirrels at the in laws house. May just go that route and look at a .22 later.

I had that problem. I had to order mine and all the ammo online.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Top Bottom