Possible problem with neighbors

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nosey Old gal, Perhap's. I would say she's not scared to challenge stranger's, Good for you if the wife and child will be there for 28 day's. Look's like she could be a nasty person if she does'nt know you.

I have only had one "personal" experience with these neighbors. We had the land for about a year and my daughter was riding the golf cart around on MY land and she stopped my daughter from the road. She asked my daughter what she was doing there. My daughter told her that her parents were on the land. The lady told her to go get us. My daughter came to get us. I went to the road and she was already on the cell phone with the sheriff's dept.. She asked me if this was our land, I told her that I was. She told the sheriff dept. nevermind and hung up with them. She told me "sternly" that someone had been on thier land. I told her that it wasn't us and she agreed. That is the kind of people that I am going to have to deal with here. SOOOO, I don't really know what to do here. She wasn't crossing my land she was just plain ol' Tresspassing. She wasn't shooting at my backstop. I am afraid that this could get nasty if I call the P.D.. I am away for 28 says every other month so I can't rely on being there all the time. I would like to find out if she was looking for a dog or something like that. And I wouldn't have a problem with that kind of thing, Contrary to popular belief, I am not an *******.

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    She just thinks since her husband is a cop and she is some kind of govt employee she can do as she pleases. I hope there is a good explanation. I think she will just feel she can go and do as she wants since she is connected. I would like to see a peaceful resolution but an armed neighbor walking onto your property on a weekend when you have an 11 year old daughter routinely playing on your property is not good.

Jimmy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Judging by the way she is dressed I am sure she is just exercise and carrying the gun for protection. If someone had taken the time to teach her trigger control I feel they would have taught adequate eye and ear protection also.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Man this is screwed up.
    The first try is to be friends with them [ swallow your pride and watch your back ]
    Because its pretty obvious your probably not far from being enemies.
    Set up additional cameras and be silent. Gather data. Hell they might be cooking meth on your land. have you walked the borders?
    1 thing is a constant............ trouble has already knocked on your door and let itself in.
    Your smart enough to be slick. My bet is they have something to hide.
    Just like it cant hurt to go speak to them. [not mentioning your pic]
    Hello, Im your new neighbor. My wife likes to take walks, do you think its safe, should she carry a gun?
    Any chance you know who the crazy people are around here that we need to stay away from.

Yes im being a little sarcastic, I guess you get the idea.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    While it is trespassing, illegal and annoying take a step back and think about everything being said on this thread. Then go over to other sites like "BayouBucks" or 'LouisianaSportsman" and search for Trespassing and see that everyone has had an encounter like this on their land that they currently do not live on. The people that live next door or near have been using that land before you owned it and probably had a unspoken trust with the previous owner to access the property. When you're not there, they can make it hell on you and being in small towns, the law seems to not be on your side.

I'm in favor of the suggestion of inviting them over to utilize your range or some other way to "break bread" with them and bring it up in conversation that you have game cameras watching for wildlife and caught them on the camera. No finger pointing, no allegations or "fighting words" need to take place. Maybe best case scenario is that she was just taking a walk, keeps a firearm as protection and was just being neighborly by checking in on your property for you. Keep them on your good side, because as said, file a report and prosecute and they can/will make your life hell there. In time if you feel like they're abusing your hospitality or are getting paranoid you should mention it that you would like to have your privacy and not have anyone come on your property without being notified or asked first.

Break bread with the neighbors that called the cops on the op for shooting then trespassed on his property to go shoot??

Come on man...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Add another +1 for trying to make peace first. Don't mention the game camera (it might get stolen or damaged). Invite them over, be nice. I don't think I'd volunteer the range though. Giving permission to use it up front sounds like asking for trouble. Make friends first. Give them your name and number, thank them for keeping an eye on the place, etc. Kill them with kindness (and keep the other options open for later :) )

As far as her harassing your daughter, having her keep people off your land might be a good thing.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    If it were me, ESPECIALLY IF I were about to build a house and move there........

I would go see the lady. I would tell her I noticed her on one of my game cameras and appreciate her keeping an eye on the place for me. I would give her my phone number to call in case she saw anything suspicious. I would mention the range I built and let them know that they are welcome to go shoot there any time. Let her know your are getting close to building out there.

Moving out to the sticks and having your closest neighbors part of the Local PD? Priceless if you can befriend them!

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    If it were me, ESPECIALLY IF I were about to build a house and move there........

I would go see the lady. I would tell her I noticed her on one of my game cameras and appreciate her keeping an eye on the place for me. I would give her my phone number to call in case she saw anything suspicious. I would mention the range I built and let them know that they are welcome to go shoot there any time. Let her know your are getting close to building out there.

Moving out to the sticks and having your closest neighbors part of the Local PD? Priceless if you can befriend them!
    Good advice. By the way my land is only about 1/2 mile from my home now.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Good advice. By the way my land is only about 1/2 mile from my home now.

Also, if what she said was true and they did have a problem with people on their property in the past, it could explain why they called the sheriff when they heard you shooting. Especially if they didn't know it was the rightful owners of the property next to them. It could also explain why she fudged a little and said there were bullets buzzing by their house. If she mentions calling the law about it in the past and mentions getting buzzed by bullets, let it go. Don't tell her it was you that she called the law on. Just assure her that you are a safe shooter and that's why you built the range the way you did.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    I'm particular about my property. And I'll say this, the times that I had people trespassing with gun in hand, local law enforcement referred me to wildlife and fisheries. In both instances an agent came out. In one instance an arrest was made. The other there was a follow up investigation and the trespasser, who resided in another parish, never returned. I don't like to make suggestions for other people to follow. But if I found just one more pic of her trespassing, suggesting a patternof her willingness to do so, I'd call my local game warden and prosecute. It's not like anyone would have grounds to say you should have warned her first. She's knowingly breaking the law.
    Sure, nobody wants to make enemies, including me, and I've never been known to look for a fight, but I've never sat still while someone infringed on my property, my privacy or my rights.
    Good luck Dusty. I know it's gotta be a burden for you. You and king lemme know if assistance is needed in alternative measures.

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    I'm particular about my property. And I'll say this, the times that I had people trespassing with gun in hand, local law enforcement referred me to wildlife and fisheries. In both instances an agent came out. In one instance an arrest was made. The other there was a follow up investigation and the trespasser, who resided in another parish, never returned. I don't like to make suggestions for other people to follow. But if I found just one more pic of her trespassing, suggesting a patternof her willingness to do so, I'd call my local game warden and prosecute. It's not like anyone would have grounds to say you should have warned her first. She's knowingly breaking the law.
    Sure, nobody wants to make enemies, including me, and I've never been known to look for a fight, but I've never sat still while someone infringed on my property, my privacy or my rights.
    Good luck Dusty. I know it's gotta be a burden for you. You and king lemme know if assistance is needed in alternative measures.
    Apreciate it. I'm not sure which direction I'm going to go with this, but either way it goes it looks like we "MAY" have to have a Bayoushooter gathering this summer to see if we can rile these people up a little.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

I wouldn't give express permission for someone I didn't KNOW VERY WELL to do something like that for liability reasons.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Apreciate it. I'm not sure which direction I'm going to go with this, but either way it goes it looks like we "MAY" have to have a Bayoushooter gathering this summer to see if we can rile these people up a little.
    lol, I vote a DSRL gathering. As history clearly shows, we do plenty riling

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    +1

Add another +1 for trying to make peace first. Don't mention the game camera (it might get stolen or damaged). Invite them over, be nice. I don't think I'd volunteer the range though. Giving permission to use it up front sounds like asking for trouble. Make friends first. Give them your name and number, thank them for keeping an eye on the place, etc. Kill them with kindness (and keep the other options open for later :) )

As far as her harassing your daughter, having her keep people off your land might be a good thing.

Top Bottom