pt-1911??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    so no bad is what your sayin?

no, not nearly what the bashers would have you believe. I mean, it may not have the fit and finish of a $3,000 custom 1911, but then again it's NOT a $3,000 1911. $450 is a no-brainer for it. At that price you could always get your money back out of it.

kpm1234

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Lafayette
    Well, I actually have one.
    Bought it new a couple of years ago for just south of $500 OTD just to see what the hype was about. This was not my first or last 1911, (TRP and series 70 and 80 Gold cups). 2000+ rounds and no problems to speak of. It is as accurate as most people and has functioned just fine.
    I can see how the safety might come apart, easy fix at the joint. On mine, I installed an old set of Pachmayrs, because I like them. The grips required a small mod to accomadate the ambi safety and as a by product eliminated any issue there. The only other down side was the rear sight got a little loose, a drop of blue locktite flowed in resolved that.
    Of course the big gold taurus emblem is kind of fugly.........
    I don't have plans to sell it and would actually buy another for the right price.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    thanx for the reply guys!! now what about the bad stuff. i have heard alot of bashing!

Before I picked up my Kimber Warriors I was looking at getting one despite my disdane of Taurus.

I figured I could replace most of the internals (Upgrade) AND get rid of that 'lock' and still be ahead financially. (Wanted a 1911 w/ a rail)

Actually went to go check out a few.

Handled one in a gun store.

Seems Taurus's 'Quality control' NOT ONLY will miss a dovetail cut crooked, but ALSO install the site (VERY off) in it, AND box it up and sent it out for sale!

Taurus= run away.

(IF thye don't catch or care about THAT!!!!)

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I'm not 100% sure of the why because I'm not one, but I think the bashers base their opinion on the fail rate of the Taurus revolvers of 30 years ago. The joke was that you'd be better of throwing it at someone than taking a chance pulling the trigger. This was all before they started making the PT-92 in the old Beretta factory down south in the early eighties.

They couldn't make a Revolver worth a Crap in 2004.

My First New Taurus, and I have NO INTENTION of ever owning another!

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    They couldn't make a Revolver worth a Crap in 2004.

My First New Taurus, and I have NO INTENTION of ever owning another!

Still have my 605 from 2005. God knows how many rounds, been a great little snubbie. Sorry had to go against the statement with one year newer.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Well I have one I bought used for $450. I've only put 200 or so rounds through it since I got it, no problems, and it likes these $12 SA mags I've got. The fit and finish is no where near as nice as my pre 70 gold cup but for $450 it's well worth it.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I see how the Taurus bashers have chimed in. That's fine..to each their own. I own three Taurus guns, and WILL buy Taurus again. I dont have the link (will have to find it and repost) to post here, but PT1911's ARE a Taurus built item, and IMHO is a damn fine 1911 for the money. I have owned one in the past, and will buy another at some point soon. Its a rugged, well built autoloader, great for a first 1911 and to become familiar with the quirks of that platform.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have a PT-1911. I wouldn't ever carry it because I don't know enough about the parts in it. That being said if you are deciding to take a plunge into the world of expensive, finicky guns, requiring extra fine motor skills to operate then I would say the PT is a good Learning Platform. For the money I would buy a used Springer but thats mostly because I think the PT is ugly.

With the exception of the Spartan from STI which I see and hear good things about I don't see a sub $1200 1911 I like. If I was gonna buy a 1911 today, I wouldn't. They are getting left behind by time and events. But if I had too because I couldn't live without one I would save up 12-1400 bucks and beat up gunbroker till I found a used TRP or my fave a Les Baer TRS. I dislike Les Baer and his over-tight guns but the TRS was very well done. Buying 3 or 4 $400 1911s will never make up for having 1 good one.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    The issue with 'us haters/bashers' is the LACK of QC.

Won't argue that you MAY get a decent gun. MY life is worth more than a may.

Choice is yours.

Well, not everything is going to be a carry gun, so unless you're attacked at the range, that may not ever come into play. All I'm saying is that if you go into it knowing that you're not getting a $1,000 gun, you're probably not going to be disappointed. Sure, I'd still like to have that Lamborghini Countach I lusted for as a teenager, but if I'd have settled for nothing less up to now, I'd have been doing a LOT of walking...

Well I have one I bought used for $450. The fit and finish is no where near as nice as my pre 70 gold cup but for $450 it's well worth it.

^^^^^^ this. I think if anyone is discouraged from buying a $450 pistol if that's about all they can spend, then they may miss out alltogether on our disease. Once they're hooked on the 1911, they'll be back looking for another. And another... ;)

username123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    St. Bernard
    well thank you everyone that chimed in. looks like the good outway the bad, im gonna buy it. it will be my first but probaly not my last.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I remember my friends talking about a new handgun from unknown manufacturer years ago. They all knew someone or claimed to have seen these problems from themselves. The handgun was unreliable, wouldn't hold up in the long term, would melt the frame, throw off front sights left and right. It was inexpensive and was garbage compared to all the Colts and Smith Wessons we owned.

The firearm?

GLOCK 17.

Dave

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I remember my friends talking about a new handgun from unknown manufacturer years ago. They all knew someone or claimed to have seen these problems from themselves. The handgun was unreliable, wouldn't hold up in the long term, would melt the frame, throw off front sights left and right. It was inexpensive and was garbage compared to all the Colts and Smith Wessons we owned.

The firearm?

GLOCK 17.

Dave

and then Gaston said, "Let there be Kool-Aid." and it was good.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You gotta realize this had turned into a 1911 against Glock BS post.

Which was NOT what the OP asked, but anyhow you should be happy with it if you not just post it here for sale and one of us 1911 fans will buy it.

As bad as many people claim 1911's to be, they are an adiction, they are accurate, and even the lowest of the lowest such as RIA shoot pretty good, and its reliable for what it was design.

I cant say the lowest of the lowest of polymers shoot good or eveybody would have a damm SIGMA.

And I do own some polymers too, couple of XD's and a USP 9.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom