pt-1911??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    As long as it doesn't have the tac rail under the dust cover, any 1911 holster will work. Any "Government" grips should work with little or no fitting.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Well, not everything is going to be a carry gun, so unless you're attacked at the range, that may not ever come into play. All I'm saying is that if you go into it knowing that you're not getting a $1,000 gun, you're probably not going to be disappointed. Sure, I'd still like to have that Lamborghini Countach I lusted for as a teenager, but if I'd have settled for nothing less up to now, I'd have been doing a LOT of walking...

^^^^^^ this. I think if anyone is discouraged from buying a $450 pistol if that's about all they can spend, then they may miss out alltogether on our disease. Once they're hooked on the 1911, they'll be back looking for another. And another... ;)

Your analogy is wrong, when you can pick up a used Springfield 1911 for ~$100 more.

I love 1911's.

Think I have 9 of them, with 'several' breaking that $1K mark...

As for everything not being a carry gun.

I know, I have Walther PP's, .22 pistols, Mak's etc.

But I want QUALITY in everything.

To the OP: Hope you get a good one.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Your analogy is wrong, when you can pick up a used Springfield 1911 for ~$100 more.

I love 1911's. Think I have 9 of them, with 'several' breaking that $1K mark...

As for everything not being a carry gun. I know, I have Walther PP's, .22 pistols, Mak's etc. But I want QUALITY in everything.

To the OP: Hope you get a good one.

Man, how does everything get so twisted around? :doh: this is what you said:

Won't argue that you MAY get a decent gun.

MY life is worth more than a may.

I took that to mean you were saying that he shouldn't get it because it may not function in a SD situation.

And, if you can find anything other than a featureless GI locally and FTF for $550, let me know. besides, maybe $450 is all he's got and he wants an ambi safety, etc..

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Man, how does everything get so twisted around? :doh: this is what you said:

I took that to mean you were saying that he shouldn't get it because it may not function in a SD situation.Yes/kinda
    I'm NOT against having "X gun" Just cause ya want it. I REALLY don't think I'll ever haveta use any of my BP rifles OR pistols for self defense.
    But I plan on buying the best Quality possible, and IN THE EVENT of your life depending on it... it functioning to the best possible level.

And, if you can find anything other than a featureless GI locally and FTF for $550, let me know. besides, maybe $450 is all he's got and he wants an ambi safety, etc..

They are around. You see them from time to time.

Check the forum, and gunshows.

Amby safety's can be added fairly easily. Better to spend the initial $ on something your grandkids will be happy to have.

JMHO, YMMV.

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I have one,..picked it up used. The only thing that is still Taurus is the frame, slide, barrel and bushing, and ambi-safety, everything else is aftermarket parts.
    Sent it to Plate-Tacular and had Daniel hard chrome the frame. Very accurate to shoot, functions 100% with the right bullet ( it did not like my cast 230grn) and looks good too.
    For the money I have in it, it does everything that I need it to do.
    I do not know if this is a good testimonial for Taurus,.....but, I'm happy.
    (For what it's worth)

username123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    St. Bernard
    I have one,..picked it up used. The only thing that is still Taurus is the frame, slide, barrel and bushing, and ambi-safety, everything else is aftermarket parts.
    Sent it to Plate-Tacular and had Daniel hard chrome the frame. Very accurate to shoot, functions 100% with the right bullet ( it did not like my cast 230grn) and looks good too.
    For the money I have in it, it does everything that I need it to do.
    I do not know if this is a good testimonial for Taurus,.....but, I'm happy.
    (For what it's worth)

any particular upgrades that you would reccomend, what grips do u use. please supply a link if you can. thanx in advance:)

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Now that that is out of the way. I don't think the Taurus is that great of a deal. It's not that far off price wise from a STI Spartan, Kimber Custom II or a Springfield Armory Loaded which at least will have better resale value. If the Taurus hit my price ceiling, I'd probably opt for a Rock Island.

Still, they can be pretty decent guns..... and they're better than a Glock. :D

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    VZ Grips for a 1911 any day of the week, trigger group Cyllinder & Slide, MSH-Magwell Smith & Alexander, Sights Dawson Precision for a range toy, Wilson combat for the rest of the parts.

If you need a Smith to make it all work call Lloyd Landry, he is in BR.

And she will be SWEeTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Not to get off topic too much (too late!!!), but I have handled the pt1911, and compared to my S&W1911 it is not as nice. The smith is more expensive, but the fit and finish are just as good as the kimber I had, and the finish was actually better than the kimber, IMO.

Anyways, I have owned a bunch of taurus stuff too, and the QC is a problem. My 9mm revo had an incorrectly machined sideplate that was letting the trigger hang up the cylinder lock, so it sometimes shot without the cylinder locked from rotating. A shim "fixed" the problem, but...

I do have a raging bull, and if they make the pt1911 to that std then they may have something, as the bull is very nicely made, fitted, and is very accurate.

I see no reasn the OP should not buy the gun, sounds like a decent deal. I would rather spend a bit more and buy a used s&w 1911...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom