Purchasing firearms online question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I always make sure when doing transfers that the names match up. Hopefully i dont encounter anything like this anytime soon or at all.

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    Intention can be hard to know.

Let's take the online piece out of the equation.

You and I walk into a LGS, we look at several guns and pick one out for you. As you start filling out the 4473 I pull out my wallet and get the cash to pay for the gun.
    If you are the intended recipient of the gun we are legal, but the clerk/owner of the LGS doesn't know if I am just paying for the gun for you, or if you are just filling out the 4473 for me. The clerk/owner may then not sell the gun because it looks like it may be a straw purchase.

The same is true of the original scenario, while legal as described, it could look suspect and cause the FFL dealer to not go through with the transaction.

It may look like a straw purchase, but it isn't. There is nothing in the law that precludes someone from giving a someone who can legally own a firearm the money to buy it. What if I take a gift card into the store and buy a gun with it? Most people don't buy gift cards for themselves, so it's obvious that the money came from someone else. The source of the money isn't brought into question in federal law. Well, I suppose if the money was in some way the fruit of a crime and the person receiving the money knew it, that could be an issue. In the OPs scenario it is perfectly legal.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    It may look like a straw purchase, but it isn't. There is nothing in the law that precludes someone from giving a someone who can legally own a firearm the money to buy it. What if I take a gift card into the store and buy a gun with it? Most people don't buy gift cards for themselves, so it's obvious that the money came from someone else. The source of the money isn't brought into question in federal law. Well, I suppose if the money was in some way the fruit of a crime and the person receiving the money knew it, that could be an issue. In the OPs scenario it is perfectly legal.
    You must have misread my post. I agree it is legal, but if it looks possibly suspect the dealer can, and should, not do the transfer.

The scenario given just has the potential to get complicated. If there is no other way to do the deal, make sure you talk to the FFL dealer first to make sure they understand the situation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    You must have misread my post. I agree it is legal, but if it looks possibly suspect the dealer can, and should, not do the transfer.

The scenario given just has the potential to get complicated. If there is no other way to do the deal, make sure you talk to the FFL dealer first to make sure they understand the situation.

It's only complicated to people who don't understand the law. There are plenty of those people who sell guns. And yes, an FFL holder should deny a sale if they don't understand how the law relates to a given situation.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

This. Another way to look at it, two guys come into the store. A guy says "I'll take that one" and starts filling out the paperwork. Then they head to the register and the other guy slips the dealer the cash. Even though there are tons of reasons that may be totally logical, it would just look shady as hell. As with anything ATF, it's all grey area and I think it would really be a judgement call on the FFL's part at that point. Like whit said, just talk to them beforehand and let them decide.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I once denied a transaction like the one described by the OP. It's just plain fishy and very much a BAIT-T-F-E move.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom