Question for the suppressor gurus....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I've finally decided to take the plunge and begin acquiring some suppressors for my favorite rifles & pistols. I'm planning on starting small, with my first purchase being two undetermined suppressors (currently leaning towards gemtec or YHM brands) for a 22 rifle and pistol.

My question is this: what are the pros and cons of running a 5.56 suppressor on a 22lr rifle? It'd be cool to be able to swap platforms with the same suppressor, but will it be effective on my 10-22? Should I just stick with a dedicated 22lr suppressor and spare myself some disappointment?

Any experience and advice will be appreciated! I'm open to brand recommendations as well!

<<There is a better than average chance this post contains sarcasm>>

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    You will get great performance from a 5.56 suppressor on your 22. The only thing is the size and weight. I have an all stainless 22 suppressor that I bought for full auto .22. I no longer have machine guns and wish I had a lighter suppressor for my 22 pistols. It is too heavy and feels awkward. Most 5.56 suppressors will be even heavier and longer.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Keep in mind that 22lr and other rimfire cartridges will leave lead deposits in your can so you will need to have a user serviceable can for a set up like that. I would look at having separate cans for centerfire and rimfire if your budget will allow.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    For a good budget take down can, look at the liberty constitution. Not for .22lr but great on .223.

I am suddenly in the mood for a 7.62 can and waiting on TDH to get back to me about an Octane HD. For .22lr just use subsonic ammo and it sounds like a pellet gun anyway.

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    .22 out of a sealed 223 can is a really bad idea. If you shoot a lot of 22 you will end up with a brick. It will fill up with carbon and lead much faster than you would think. I have the YHM mite and it was good way back when but I would never buy it now. It's fairly quiet but it is AWFUL to clean. It's a two day process or more. I call it my curse word generator. You have to clean it every time you shoot it or it will be so gummed up it will take an act of congress to clean.

Now the can I would buy (and did) is the silencerco sparrow. It is much quieter than the mite. The busty is how easy to clean it is. One screw off ring a bump on the table and its apart.

If u make it to MS you can shoot them both...and a bunch of others.

CarronJ

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    I have a gemtech alpine II. Very hard to clean. Has a ton of small crevices and if you don't take apart all the time it is very hard to get apart. It is supposed to be cleaned every 250 rounds. The silencerco sparrow seems as though it would be easier, but I have no experience with them. Maybe someone can chime in on it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Where in Mississippi Dock? I like to say that I live in Columbus, where my wife & kids are, but commute to Lafayette for work. I'll be heading up that way for Christmas and would love to take you up on your offer!

Thanks for the heads up regarding fouling. I am aware of it and am planning on a self serviceable suppressor. I will definitely take those brand recommendations into consideration. Also, good point about size & weight.....but I'll be getting a dedicated suppressor for the pistol. It's the rifle one that I'd be interested swapping between an AR and the 10-22 so size/weight isn't too much of a factor.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I used to shoot .22LR out of my AAC M4-2000 until everyone on the internet eventually scared me into stopping. I can see the first blast baffle and the last baffle on my silencer and after probably a thousand rounds of .22 I don't see build up at all. I think shooting 5.56 cleans it out and the can gets so hot (it turns red) that it vaporizes any build up that's left. That's just my unscientific hypothesis though. I would like to see a take apart 5.56 can after running a brick of .22LR through it AND running a few hundred rounds of 5.56 through it. Sounds like a good job for Mythbusters!

I will still shoot .22LR out of it occasionally for pest control purposes but I don't go crazy with it like I used to.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have a YHM Wraith .22 that was sealed. It was used almost exclusively on my 2 MG's with Ciener kits, and after a while, it began to get heavy. I sent it to Liberty for a monocore retrofit and I am completely satisfied. It's not a PIA to clean.

JR1572

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I have a YHM Wraith .22 that was sealed. It was used almost exclusively on my 2 MG's with Ciener kits, and after a while, it began to get heavy. I sent it to Liberty for a monocore retrofit and I am completely satisfied. It's not a PIA to clean.

JR1572

Thanks for posting about this. Didn't realize someone offered this option. May have to do it for my sealed can.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I used to shoot .22LR out of my AAC M4-2000 until everyone on the internet eventually scared me into stopping. I can see the first blast baffle and the last baffle on my silencer and after probably a thousand rounds of .22 I don't see build up at all. I think shooting 5.56 cleans it out and the can gets so hot (it turns red) that it vaporizes any build up that's left. That's just my unscientific hypothesis though. I would like to see a take apart 5.56 can after running a brick of .22LR through it AND running a few hundred rounds of 5.56 through it. Sounds like a good job for Mythbusters!

I will still shoot .22LR out of it occasionally for pest control purposes but I don't go crazy with it like I used to.

I don't trust mythbusters with gun myths, they claim you can bring a knife to a gun fight?!?!?

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Where in Mississippi Dock? I like to say that I live in Columbus, where my wife & kids are, but commute to Lafayette for work. I'll be heading up that way for Christmas and would love to take you up on your offer!

Thanks for the heads up regarding fouling. I am aware of it and am planning on a self serviceable suppressor. I will definitely take those brand recommendations into consideration. Also, good point about size & weight.....but I'll be getting a dedicated suppressor for the pistol. It's the rifle one that I'd be interested swapping between an AR and the 10-22 so size/weight isn't too much of a factor.

why exactly are you wanting a seperate can for the rifle/pistol in .22? the nice thing about the sparrow is that it's a multi cal can. i can put it on my .22 pistol, either of my 1022s and if i ever get off my butt and have my .17hmr threaded it will go on there also. thats one of the nice thing about a can instead of a integrally suppressed weapon. it doesn't have to stay on just one firearm. it would seem that most people would be well covered with a .22 can and a 7.62 can. 7.62 for all the centerfire all the way down to the .223 and then a .22 can for the .22s.

cowdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Take a look at the Spectre II and the Gemtech Alpine.
    The Sparrow is always a good choice.
    also Liberty Kodiak XL, Thompson Machine Isis-22, Huntertown Guardian s/s or Kestrel-22

If I were looking for a 5.56 can I'd very seriously consider the AAC 7.62SDN-6

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS

I am just south of Jackson in Crystal Springs. I will IM you my info. Just call and we can meet when you are headed back up to Columbus. You can stop by the shop or we can meet at magnolia in Byram.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    why exactly are you wanting a seperate can for the rifle/pistol in .22? the nice thing about the sparrow is that it's a multi cal can. i can put it on my .22 pistol, either of my 1022s and if i ever get off my butt and have my .17hmr threaded it will go on there also. thats one of the nice thing about a can instead of a integrally suppressed weapon. it doesn't have to stay on just one firearm. it would seem that most people would be well covered with a .22 can and a 7.62 can. 7.62 for all the centerfire all the way down to the .223 and then a .22 can for the .22s.

Why two cans? Because I want to be able to carry two suppressed weapons without being bothered to waste time removing & installing one across multiple platforms. Pardon my tinfoil infused mini-rant, but soon I fear equipment like that will be more than a cool range toy.

I'd considered an integrally suppressed barrel for the 10-22, but I want the option of using other rifles.

That's an interesting point about the 7.62 can! There's not much out there it wouldn't work on. AK's, 308, AR's etc. You've pretty much sold me on that idea.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I would go with separate .223 and .308 cans. I want to get something for 7.62X39, just shopping right now, trying to pick a can. .223/556 is hard on a can. If you want to save money on suppressors get a .45 can to cover your pistol calibers.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I would go with separate .223 and .308 cans. I want to get something for 7.62X39, just shopping right now, trying to pick a can. .223/556 is hard on a can. If you want to save money on suppressors get a .45 can to cover your pistol calibers.

why is .223 hard on a can? im no suppressor guru either as i only own a wopping 1 but have been considering my next one to be a 7.62 can to cover the rest of my calibers. ive not heard any negative to shooting a .223 through a 7.62 can before this.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Sparrow is awesome for 22. Somewhere between 1000 and 1500 rounds I pulled mine apart (easily) and tossed the internals in a tumbler. I suggest scraping the half shells with some brass casings before tumbling. Very little work and it comes out super clean.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Sparrow is awesome for 22. Somewhere between 1000 and 1500 rounds I pulled mine apart (easily) and tossed the internals in a tumbler. I suggest scraping the half shells with some brass casings before tumbling. Very little work and it comes out super clean.

did you use a regular vibrating tumbler? just corn cob media? ive been trying to decide on what method i want to take to clean mine. im at about 1500 maybe a little more through mine right now so i figured i better figure something out soon. i was going to go ahead and get a ultra sonic but if my regular old tumbler will get it done then i might just try that first.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504
    Top Bottom