Radar Detectors - do they work?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Ill only answer one cop hater question in a day, this is it :). It is not advised to step into traffic and flag cars for safety. There is no written rule against it though. Have I done it? Yes. It's the quickest way to write tickets and saves wear and tear on the police cars your taxes pay for.

MOTOR51
    Woh now, chill out haha, it was not a cop hater question. I was being serious. I completely understand the practical benefits to flagging someone down, but to actually walk in front of the car? In the instance where it happened to me, I later found out that it was this guy's first day by himself and he was kinda nervous, but I just figured that y'all had a safety policy against that...or at least encouraged people not to do it.

Another question that you might know the answers to. In a previous Physics class I was in, we were debating over the physics of the LIDAR guns that y'all use. I have a cop friend who let me play with one of the newer ones and they are pretty cool. I really like the red-dot style scope on them, haha! I am assuming that the gun is rechargeable. What we were wondering was if a discharged one has a shorter range than one fully charged or if there are any problems with the batteries going low. From a straight physics standpoint, the only problem with a lower battery would be less power going to the laser emitter and thus a weaker laser shooting out. On the other hand though, if there were certain regulators in it, we argued that it is at light speed still and the lower power wouldn't really matter unless it was just straight up dead. Can ya settle the debate?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Woh now, chill out haha, it was not a cop hater question. I was being serious. I completely understand the practical benefits to flagging someone down, but to actually walk in front of the car? In the instance where it happened to me, I later found out that it was this guy's first day by himself and he was kinda nervous, but I just figured that y'all had a safety policy against that...or at least encouraged people not to do it.

Another question that you might know the answers to. In a previous Physics class I was in, we were debating over the physics of the LIDAR guns that y'all use. I have a cop friend who let me play with one of the newer ones and they are pretty cool. I really like the red-dot style scope on them, haha! I am assuming that the gun is rechargeable. What we were wondering was if a discharged one has a shorter range than one fully charged or if there are any problems with the batteries going low. From a straight physics standpoint, the only problem with a lower battery would be less power going to the laser emitter and thus a weaker laser shooting out. On the other hand though, if there were certain regulators in it, we argued that it is at light speed still and the lower power wouldn't really matter unless it was just straight up dead. Can ya settle the debate?

They work the same until the batteries go dead in all the ones I've used and tested.

MOTOR51

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    And always remember police don't jump in front and flag over people who are NOT speeding. Don't speed and you have no worries.
    Haha alright. I think I will take my chances and just be careful :)

MOTOR51

How much do those type of detectors cost now a days?
    There quite a many versions and options out there. We had a LIDAR gun in class that cost $800, but it was a cheaper version that needed to be plugged in to a source constantly. I did a quick Google and some of them start at over $2000 dollars.

Edit: I read your question incorrectly. The newest passport one costs around 600. Click here for a link.

Last edited:

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Two words............."Valentine One". Get it and never look back.

This

They don't work if you don't know how to use them properly.

Took it upon myself to fix that one.

Pricy but WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

Small investment when compared to the number of tickets it can save you over the course of just 100k miles.

Valentine use to have a policy where they would reimburse you for the ticket, I don't know if they still do that or not.

I think the actual payout percentage on that was very minimal. You had to prove to them that you used it properly and still got caught. It was more of a marketing thing than an actual feature.

Do they work? Yes. Is it a ticket shield? Absolutely not. I know cops that use them in their personal cars if they tells you anything to their effectiveness.

Knowing how to use the unit properly is a must! Setting the cruise on 90 and just hitting the road is not going to make you invisible. I like to find somebody who wants to go the speed I want to go and get about 3/4 of a mile behind him. When a cop hits him with RADAR/LADAR, my V1 lets me know and I have ample time to slowdown if necessary. I also slowdown over overpasses if I am the only car around. I've done 500k miles in 10 years with 1 speeding ticket. I didn't slowdown over the overpass.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    This

Took it upon myself to fix that one.

Small investment when compared to the number of tickets it can save you over the course of just 100k miles.

I think the actual payout percentage on that was very minimal. You had to prove to them that you used it properly and still got caught. It was more of a marketing thing than an actual feature.

Knowing how to use the unit properly is a must! Setting the cruise on 90 and just hitting the road is not going to make you invisible. I like to find somebody who wants to go the speed I want to go and get about 3/4 of a mile behind him. When a cop hits him with RADAR/LADAR, my V1 lets me know and I have ample time to slowdown if necessary. I also slowdown over overpasses if I am the only car around. I've done 500k miles in 10 years with 1 speeding ticket. I didn't slowdown over the overpass.

I'm calling BS on this one sir. Who in their right mind paces someone then drops back 3/4 of a mile just to drive the same speed and use his radar detector correctly.

MOTOR51

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    They have never saved anyone from a ticket?

Not from me. If you knew the proper way to detect speed using a measuring device then you would know that it only confirms the estimated speed from the officer. Therefore he doesn't conduct speed measurements on vehicles he is not confident is speeding in the first place. To graduate the class you have to be able to estimate speeds pretty precisely.

MOTOR51

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Interesting thread. A radar detector has saved me hundreds of dollars. It did this by me not spending hundreds of dollars to buy one. I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles without a ticket. Its really quite easy; I don't exceed the speed limit. I have done the calculations. The extra 10 miles per hour really doesn't add up to that much time saved. Slow down just a tiny bit and enjoy the roses.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Not from me. If you knew the proper way to detect speed using a measuring device then you would know that it only confirms the estimated speed from the officer. Therefore he doesn't conduct speed measurements on vehicles he is not confident is speeding in the first place. To graduate the class you have to be able to estimate speeds pretty precisely.

MOTOR51

Not even one? Do you think they would have stopped to tell you? Not being a smart ass, but I do believe for the most part, it's not correct to say "They don't work". I guess i'm a derp now. Damn.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Not even one? Do you think they would have stopped to tell you? Not being a smart ass, but I do believe for the most part, it's not correct to say "They don't work". I guess i'm a derp now. Damn.

Ur right. They do detect so therefore they "work"

MOTOR51

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

You're not a derp. You just tried being literal.

I've never been ticketed for moving or equipment violations. I've had two parking tickets in NO and they were both very questionable.

JR1572

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    It only works on lazy police officers that just leave the radar on continuously. If done correctly a radar detector will just warn you that you are about to get a ticket. You will probably get a lot of responses telling you how great they are etc but I have written tons of tickets to people while their radar detector is chirping on their dash.

MOTOR51

having been a cop, and written tickets, i run a radar detector. if you understand the concept of how POLICE work, how traffic works, etc... they are VERY effective.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    which is why "instant" on radar guns police use are ********. Unless its changed when I was certified then you cant look at a car speeding, turn your RADAR gun on for less than a second and legitimately use the speed in court. you are supposed to visually look at the target, confirm the audible tone with speed readout on the RADAR gun with your estimated violator speed and then issue the ticket. not flip the POS on and snag a target.

i have NO experience with LIDAR.

and i owned my own "instant on" radar. so i am also aware it isnt truly 'instant" but i can be honest.

Last edited:

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Interesting thread. A radar detector has saved me hundreds of dollars. It did this by me not spending hundreds of dollars to buy one. I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles without a ticket. Its really quite easy; I don't exceed the speed limit. I have done the calculations. The extra 10 miles per hour really doesn't add up to that much time saved. Slow down just a tiny bit and enjoy the roses.

over distance it does.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    having been a cop, and written tickets, i run a radar detector. if you understand the concept of how POLICE work, how traffic works, etc... they are VERY effective.

If you are speeding through a residential area in Walker with no unit in sight and the Lidar is turned on as you approach your speed will be recorded before you can slow down.

Top Bottom