Recommend a good scotch

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I got a few bottles of Jonnie Walker Swing and enjoy em. I've had Blue at an open bar once because, we'll because it was an open bar. But I wasn't too impressed, certainly not for the money.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Laphroaig seems to have gotten popular lately, but is a bit "peaty" so proceed with caution.

I discovered Laphroaig about 1980 at Martin's. It was expensive, $15 or so.

They would only get a couple of cases a couple of times a year and you had to sign up for your bottle.

Is Martin's on Baronne still open?

He is an importer, wholesaler, and retailer. You can't do that any more but Dave was grandfathered in. I started shopping there in 1967 when I moved back to La.

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    Always drink single malt. Blended scotch....I have never finished a glass. The Glenlivet 12 15 and 18. All other single malts taste good, but my pallet just keeps going back to The Glenlivet.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm a big fan of Glenfiddich 12yr. Not a fan of Johnny Walker, mainly because I don't like blends. Single malt is the only way to go. The 18yr is good too, for some people, but I prefer the 12yr.

edrodhdfb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Zachary, La
    Always drink single malt. Blended scotch....I have never finished a glass. The Glenlivet 12 15 and 18. All other single malts taste good, but my pallet just keeps going back to The Glenlivet.

I agree Glenlivet is hands down my favorite. Then Johnny Walker. Macallan 12 is good. Not a big fan of Glenfiddich or Glenmoranie and Laphroaig is too smoky for my taste. I recently tried Highland Park Scotch at New York's Big Smoke along with others I can't remember because there was soo much free liquor and cigars there. But, I came home with one of their fliers that I picked up because I liked it. As for blended Scotch Dewars 12 & 18 is not bad.

Unclee1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Definitely agree with this one...Glennmorangie original. It's the cheapest one I've found and luckily one of my favorites. Albertson's sometimes has it on sale!

Glennmorangie original is good for the under $40 single malt. It's a very light scotch and not heavy in the peat-y-ness. :)

I just was in Martins Wine Cellar and picked up a blended one called Black Bottle. It was bottled in Scotland. The guy there said it was quite good for $20/bottle. I'll let you know since this is the first I heard of it.

Dave

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Technically not scotch but I don't know if we are splitting hairs or not here but if you want something good to drink get a bottle of Jameson and enjoy.

+1 Jameson is the best straight drinking liquor at a decent price IMO.

If you want to step it up a notch give Johnnie Walker a try. Anything black label & above is great, and not too pricy unless you go for the blue label.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    My favorite is Macallan Cask Strength for straight sipping. I also like very peaty singlemalts and Caol Ila is my most enjoyable.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I love the single malts as well as the next man. But, there is a place for the blends, as well. I always found J&B to be a pleasing break from the heavier singles. YMMV

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I prefer single malts so my choices will be biased. The one you started with, The Glenlivet, is a pretty good starting point and one of the single malt choices I keep in my liquor cabinet. I currently have The Macallan 12, Glenfiddich 12, Glenmorangie the Original, and The Glenlivet 12 and generally prefer them in that order and always drink them neat.

I am not a big fan of blended scotch, but if I do drink them I prefer them on the rocks. If you give johnny walker a try don't go below black label, try to start with swing or green though.

FYI: Some are recommending Jameson, which is not a scotch at all. It is an Irish whiskey, and there is nothing wrong with that, and is pretty good drink for the money.

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    Glenfiddich is a current fav but I picked up a bottle of Glenrothes that I'm sipping at the moment,
    very smooth!
    :cool:

Last edited:

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Buy a fifth of T.W. Samuels for $5.xx at your local white trash establishment and drink the whole bottle.

Whatever you drink after that will taste absolutely amazing.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    +1 Jameson is the best straight drinking liquor at a decent price IMO.

If you want to step it up a notch give Johnnie Walker a try. Anything black label & above is great, and not too pricy unless you go for the blue label.

+2. I'm not a whisk(e)y purist so I don't run around wasting time on expensive scotches my palette isn't trained to appreciate. To start, I've never understood what the big deal about whiskey made in Scotland is to begin with, the exception being the occasional use of peat, which many people prefer absent. Especially when it comes to blends and people who can only drink whisk(e)y on the rocks. I can appreciate the diluted flavor (mainly because it's cooled) of whisk(e)y but I chuckle when I see a guy who orders a glass of 18 year MaCallan on the rocks just because it's expensive, that's ruining something you're obviously paying a premium for. Since I do tend to drink on the rocks, my favorite whiskeys I don't mind watering down but still tastes excellent neat are Jameson and Maker's Mark. Both very well balanced if you aren't the type of person with a trained palette and more says "WTF?" when you hear about nutty and fruity flavor notes.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Being a bagpiper I have tasted all the above mentioned single malts.
    Thing about single malts is they are very personal tastes.
    I would attend a whiskey tasting at Cuban's or Churchill's and decide what you like.

Jameson is an Irish whiskey and a middle of the road one.

When piping I carry a flask of Red Breast or Tulamore Dew.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    The Macallan... Balvenie... Glenfiddich... the list goes on.

ETA: Macallan 12 is a good place to start and you can always move up to some of their higher end varieties. Laphroaig seems to have gotten popular lately, but is a bit "peaty" so proceed with caution.

All of these are good when mixed with Dr. Pepper (The Macallan is also OK when mixed with Diet Coke).

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I need to attend a tasting... I've only tried a few but haven't found anything as smooth as Blue Label. We got my best friend a bottle for his law school graduation and only use it for special occasions.

Top Bottom