Recommendations for Black Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I am looking to buy one in the near future. Any suggestions in the $1500 - $2000 range? Also, I understand the difference between the gas vs. piston systems, but which is "best". This will be my first rifle - have a few hand guns.
    Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

I am a whore for Noveske, but have a lot of friends that like Daniel Defense. Buy the one that has the features and is configured the way you want.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    DD M4V7. Spending any more on the rifle will have no positive gain. Spend the rest of the cash on an optic, mags and training.

I have talked with VG about this very subject.

To me, little things like my Switchblock make Noveske worth the money. Why? The switch-block makes the gun a lot quieter. That is to say, it's the difference between ringing my ears, and not, when I shoot suppressed. It is also a LOT cleaner.

Will it put the bullet where it goes, and will the suppressor hide flash/concussive effects on dust/grass/etc. and will it cycle reliably without it? Sure. It sure will. It arguably adds absolutely nothing to the raw "combat effectiveness" of the weapon. Therefore, I gather that VG could care less about it, and others might feel just as he does.

However, to a guy like me, it adds to my range experience. It's "nice". I like it. I do not feel that it TAKES AWAY from the "raw combat effectiveness" of my weapon, either. So, I buy it. Am I a sucker? Heck no. It does what I want it to do, and I like it. I am happy that I spent the money. Does VG envy my rifle? No. He doesn't need or want that item, and it would be an annoyance to him that he could have spent the money elsewhere.

I think that sometimes threads like this are all about "projecting" one's opinions on another person, and have seen time and time again that when someone asks for advice, they are REALLY saying "Please validate my per-conceived notions". I'll man up and admit to doing it a lot! However, I try really hard to listen when people disagree with me. Spoken to VG a few times and learned a lot without ever even meeting the man. Looking forward to learning more, and hoping I don't hate my setup by the time I finish the carbine class. Speaking of that, why not attend a class, OP, and use different gear/figure out what you need vs. what you want?

I totally admit to "buying what I wanted". And it is awesome and I will always enjoy it, but in time it may be the last thing I would reach for it TSHTF, so to speak.

Just my long-winded .02

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    All of the above are great recommendations BUT I would go with this http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2889 and you wont need to do anything to it all, learn to use the iron sights and the rest is lagniappe .
    3915bb2dc7b41aa758b69d0775050b65.jpg
    ac161bcd12b6fb7061fb01632cfad08b.jpg

Noveske

I like Noveske stuff but there are some bad values on the carbine pictured. The KAC rail is likely to be out of spec and the integrated flip up sight makes the most valuable rail real estate useless. The KAC sights are also waaaaay over priced.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA

retreaux

old enough to know better
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Prairie Bosse
    All that you listed except "cool factor" - that means nothing to me. A good accurate, light, dependable rifle is what I want. Also, anything I shoot gets cleaned after.
    Message to Sin-ster.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    All that you listed except "cool factor" - that means nothing to me. A good accurate, light, dependable rifle is what I want. Also, anything I shoot gets cleaned after.
    Message to Sin-ster.

I should have stipulated with the Noveske, and as VG has pointed out about a lot of their "bundle deals"-- I'd get the most basic, naked rifle they have and do my OWN piecing together of parts...

But for your stated purposes above, skip Noveske (as nice as they are)-- you'll be JUST as well suited with a Daniel Defense or BCM rifle (the latter of which has a TON of options you can select yourself, from the manufacturer)... and still have coin in your purse afterwards.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I have been holding back since this thread started but I am going to throw my opinion out there. I have a BCM and when I was looking money wasn't really an issue. The reason I decided to go with it is because of their track record and the customization you can do straight from BCM.

I bought my upper and lower separate but they are both BCM. I then bought the additional items that I wanted individually, you know, VFG, BUIS, pistol grip, stock, trigger springs etc. For the upper and lower I think I have about $1100 wrapped up in the actual rifle. Then you add a BCG ($150) and a charging handle ($50) you are up to $1300. Then you start adding all the little add-ons and you are looking at a $1600-$1700 rifle.

Now if you start adding magazines and ammo to that total you are going to be over $2000, easily. So optics is another subject in and of itself. You can easily have well over $2500 tied up in the gun. I love my BCM and it is set-up exactly the way I want it except for one thing that will be taken care of shortly.

3tdgtmbwhc8002tx1vr4.jpg

Top Bottom