Red Jacket AR15's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • All Star

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Baton Rouge, La
    So I went to a local pawn and gun shop in Denham this week, looking to purchase a handfull of these guns for company outings. After a long week of cooking and heavy lifting, the guys love to shoot some targets and talk some smack for a little R and R.

The young guy behind the counter would not answer any of my questions. In all my dealings with guns, this was the very first time this has happened.

I first called ahead of time, and got confirmation that they would have them in stock, but they didnt. They they told me it would be at least another week. Ok, it happens, No biggie, I can wait.

But... here's the thing. I asked him what was special about the RJF AR. He just looked at me, like I asked him the meaning of life. He couldn't tell me what they did to the gun, how it was made, any special features, Nothing. He only told me it was NOT a piston bolt/system, and he wouldn't tell me anything else. My thoughts were this.. If I'm going to shell out the cash, what parts are used? What is made in house? If this gun cut and manufactured at RJF or simply a prefab gun just milled with the logo and accessorized? I don't want to know Will's trade secrets, or any info that could be proprietary to his business, but just found it VERY odd that any gun dealer I've ever met would rattle off where every part came from, and what the selling points/features of a gun were when I wanted to buy with CASH IN HAND, yet this guy basically told me there was a non-disclose agreement he had to sign, and couldn't talk about the gun.

Am I wrong, or is that just weird? I also would LOVE any info that you guys have on the gun, as I'm still looking to purchase 6 of them, just not from this store. I'll find them elsewhere.

All Star

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Baton Rouge, La
    Did they say Academy was going to carry them as well ?

I guess that's what rubbed me so wrong, he didn't tell me ANYTHING about the gun. Its like trying to buy a car, with no specs. Was a very frustrating experience.

My ultimate goal is to meet someone that can actually tell me what's up with this gun, and what's actually special about it? If it's RJF, what did THEY do to the gun, besides mill their logo and market it?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I guess that's what rubbed me so wrong, he didn't tell me ANYTHING about the gun. Its like trying to buy a car, with no specs. Was a very frustrating experience.

My ultimate goal is to meet someone that can actually tell me what's up with this gun, and what's actually special about it? If it's RJF, what did THEY do to the gun, besides mill their logo and market it?

You're right down the road from RJF, why not just give them a call? There's also several employees that are members here on the board that could answer your questions.

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    While id dont know much about the recievers and barrel the rifle comes stocked with a magpul ctr adjustable stock, moe forend, pistol grip and rear buis. The flash hider is their custom inhouse produced supressor ready design. The upper and lower recievers, bolt carrier and flashhider all come with the redjacket logo.

Dont know much else about it but it certainly was prety tight reciever fit and the charging process was nice and smothe.

Sorry if it isnt helpful but I didnt get too much of a chance to do any deeper research, they tend to sell before I get the chance to look up who made the parts.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Maybe the guy was just dumb and couldn't answer the questions.

This was probably the case. The 2 young guys they have in the gun dept aren't seasoned veterans by any stretch.

But I'll just simplify the whole thing for you guys, if its the AR or the 1911, the ONLY thing you need to know is its from RJF. Nothing else is important or matters.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Saw one sitting on the rack in the Lake Charles academy. Didn't handle it though. Surprised to see one there, as our academy kinda sucks for firearm selection. Don't know about others.

lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    You're right down the road from RJF, why not just give them a call? There's also several employees that are members here on the board that could answer your questions.

Yeah if your going to buy 6 of them i'm sure they'll be happy to answer a few questions for you. Look them up online.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yeah if your going to buy 6 of them i'm sure they'll be happy to answer a few questions for you. Look them up online.

Or 1. :dunno:

Red Jacket (Will)
    MOJO@RJF
    SKYWLKR
    JNieman
    flemgunner

Those are all BS members that work at or own Red Jacket. There's probably more too that I can't remember. PM them and ask, even if they don't know I'm sure they could find out. You see, the secret is to ask legit questions about a product you're interested in. Asking them "why a $800 1911 costs $1700" isn't going to get you a response.

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    All the specs are on their website.

Specifications:

Bolt- Meets and/or exceeds all Mil-Spec requirements. Each is individually MPI and HPT (High Pressure Tested) tested and certified. High Nickel and Chromium content alloy for longevity and the ultimate in reliability. Every bolt is equipped with an extreme duty extractor and spring set. Fully stress relieved and surface hardened.

Carrier- Mil-Spec M-16 style carrier for the smoothest action and utmost reliability. These are phosphate coated and properly staked to ensure a long life. RJF Logo laser engraved and visible through ejection port. All componets are MilSpec, with a hard chrome firing pin.

The upper and lower receivers are forged from 7075-T6 aluminum, equipped with a either a 1/7 Twist rate M4 profile chrome lined barrel or a match grade 1/7 stainless barrel, fluted for stiffness and superior accuracy.
    These come in your choice of 4 Magpul furniture colors. The gun ships with the Magpul CTR, MOE pistol grip and MOE forend, one Magpul PMAG included.
    Suppressor ready with our RJF suppressor flash hider – threaded to accept the RJF suppressor line.
    MBUS rear site included.
    Gas tube is ferritic nitrocarburized for heat and corrosion resistance.

They must have changed the design a bit for mass production. I got one of the early models and my barrel is 1/9 and the upper and I think the lower are both monolithic. It also cost a little more.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Asking them "why a $800 1911 costs $1700" isn't going to get you a response.

If you will recall that post, the question was posed in a legitimate manner. Much like the OP here is trying to determine if the RJF is something he wants to spend his hard earned money for.

Red Jacket doesn't need me or my money. I simply wanted to know what goes into a RJF that makes them feel its worth what they charge for it. Simple as that.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If you will recall that post, the question was posed in a legitimate manner. Much like the OP here is trying to determine if the RJF is something he wants to spend his hard earned money for.

Red Jacket doesn't need me or my money. I simply wanted to know what goes into a RJF that makes them feel its worth what they charge for it. Simple as that.

The difference between someone asking questions because they are interested in buying, and someone just trolling is pretty obvious. I think they're a little busy to waste their time on the latter.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    If they were really concerned about turning out a quality product, instead of capitalizing on the unwashed masses who will blindly purchase something cause it has their name stamped on it, they would gladly take the time to explain anything anyone would like to know.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If they were really concerned about turning out a quality product, instead of capitalizing on the unwashed masses who will blindly purchase something cause it has their name stamped on it, they would gladly take the time to explain anything anyone would like to know.

One thing I wouldn't doubt is RJ's quality. Are they charging a premium because they can at the moment? Absolutely. Any one of us would if we could. But that doesn't mean they would put out a crappy product.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom