Reloader

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    I am looking for advice on getting setup to reload ammo. My Son and I would like to start with 45 acp and .308. I am not looking to break the bank, but would plan to go through about 1000 rounds a month. Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    Well they have atleast 2 members selling the Dillion Square B reloading presses

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46855&highlight=square+deal

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46793&highlight=square+deal

I would suggest Dillion, a lil more than the others in the beginning, but a lifetime warranty i think is worth it, you will still need more stuff, I am not a rifle reloader so I can not give you advice on that, BUT the pistol reloading supplies is pretty easy IMO, you need a vibrator cleaner, and a tumbler, tumbler media, brass, bullets, powder, primers, case gauges, scale, calipers, and so forth, I bet if you look hard enough in the classifieds you might come across someone with a whole setup for sale! good luck!

roundabout

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Central Louisiana
    Do you have any experience with reloading? Personally, I'd recommend investing in both a single stage (or turret) and a progressive press. A single stage is handy for certain operations that would otherwise take too much time to on a progressive. Once you figure out what loads you like, you then set up a progressive and pump out the high volumes of ammo you need. I use all RCBS equipment but a lot of people use Dillon. Whatever you get, I HIGHLY recommend something that allows for a powder charge checker. One reason I chose RCBS is they offer a powder checker that locks-up the press when there is a double charge or no powder. If you've ever had a double charge go off in your hands, you'll understand where I'm coming from. You really only need the checker for pistol rounds since it is typically difficult to over charge a rifle round. I've only scratched the surface but I reckon the press is a critical component.

Cocked

Feeling Cocky
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    KIT

Cabela's has a Rock Chucker Supreme kit for 289.99. They also have a $50 rebate right now for purchases over $300. Get a set of RCBS dies for the 45 or 308 and you are good to go. Use a store coupon with this purchase and you will get a nice starting point for single stage reloading. Saves you over $100 if purchased separately.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I just started reloading a few months ago. I bought a Lee turret press. I'm pretty happy with it. I can take the bar out of the center so it won't auto advance when I'm just depriming. It also changes caliber in about 3 seconds just swap turrets. Not as fast as a progressive but for the cost it's a pretty good buy.

I will say if you get the Lee kit the beam scale works but is a PITA and slow if you're measuring every load. Get a electronic one, think I paid $20 for my Midway/Frankford Arsenal one.

The one I got also didn't come with the auto primer feed, I just bought one of the lee hand primers and do that as a separate step.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    KIT

Cabela's has a Rock Chucker Supreme kit for 289.99. They also have a $50 rebate right now for purchases over $300. Get a set of RCBS dies for the 45 or 308 and you are good to go. Use a store coupon with this purchase and you will get a nice starting point for single stage reloading. Saves you over $100 if purchased separately.

+100

The Dillon Square Deals mentioned above are pistol caliber only.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Depending upon the number of rounds you load in each caliber, a wise decision would be the Rock Chucker kit for .308 AND a Dillon (Square B would be fine for a caliber or two) for pistol. Reloading can be enjoyable...it would be much less so to load volumes of pistol ammo on a single stage. Most people I know who get into pistol shooting eventually migrate to a progressive press and it's hard to beat the Blue (Dillon) machines.

And get yourself a couple of good reloading books (The ABCs of Reloading and the Sierra manual have tons of good info to start).

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I started on a Rock Chucker Supreme kit and still use the press and primer tool to load all of my match rifle loads. It's well worth the money to learn on and figure out how in depth you really want to get in your reloading. You'll need dies, shell holder (Redding all the way) and a good caliper (go digital).

The kit comes with a Speer manual........READ IT before loading anything.

Step 2.....pester someone to put on a basic reloading clinic and take notes. Enjoy!

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    No matter how big someone's set-up gets and how many machines, they'll always keep the Rock Chucker (or other single stage) press on the bench for various jobs.

I don't load rifle in bulk.
    The only people who might need to are the guys shooting mag fed semi-autos.

I did invest in the Hornady Lock-N-Load adapter for my rock Chucker and dies.
    It makes switching from one die to another and from one caliber to another as quick as a turret press.

+1 to Bayou Slide's Comments

stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    I saw "kits" on sale at Cabelas just today. Price didn't look bad but I know nothing about it so I purchased a paperback book on reloading called "The Complete Reloading Manual for the 9mm Ruger" which is one of the calibers I thinking of doing, along with 45, .380. Price of book was $6.99. I hope to see what this will involve before I spend the money.

Check their web site for kits, I haven't yet but I'm sure you can either have it delivered or pick it up at the store.

Just a suggestion if you haven't done that already.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I started with the RCBS Rock Chucker kit. I'm satisfied with it.

I only load pistol ammo, and while the single-stage press is a lot slower than progressive (I can get 100-150 rounds/hour on my single stage compared to 500-600/hour I hear the progressives get).

Loading volume pistol ammo is kind of a pain on a single stage, but really it is not that bad. If you only need 1000 rounds a month, you could easily do that on a single stage press. The best way to do it would be to sit down on one saturday or sunday and resize/deprime and expand 1000 cases in one sitting. Then the next weekend re-prime, powder charge, and seat bullets. This way, you'll have 1000 rounds in 2 weeks before you know it, taking 2 4ish hour periods if you work diligently.

There are advantages to a single stage press as well. First, if you want to start loading a new caliber, all you need is the dies and shellholder. Second, it really helps you learn how everything works. Third, when it comes to rifle ammo, I imagine you can make much more accurate ammo with the meticulousness of the step-by-step operation. Fourth, it is less likely to have something go wrong, because you are priming by hand and powder charging by hand. This way, you will pretty much see if you seat a primer wrong or if you have no powder or too much powder. It is hard to make mistakes if you follow the basics.

That being said, I do want a progressive press. However, I won't ever get rid of my single stage.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Don't let anyone tell you that you can not load quality rifle ammo on a progressive press. Ask smith625 what my little Ruger M77MKII in 7mm-08 will do with my handloads from a Dillon 550.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Scooter is 99.9% correct.

There are some powders that will throw more accurately than others.
    Large Stick powder less accurate (volume to weight)
    Small ball powder more accurate (volume to weight)

It's all about stacking and space for air.

The accuracy levels we're talking about are > moa.

roundabout

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Central Louisiana
    Buy a dillon first or buy something else, then sell it, and then buy a dillon.

That's a mighty bold statement! Have you ever used any other reloader besides a Lee? I had two Dillon Square Deal B's and I sold both of them. I was not impressed. I'm sure the 550 and 650 are better in many ways than the Square Deal B, but after messing with how everything worked on the Square Deal B, I decided the RCBS Pro 2000 is less aggravating to set-up and operate. Knock on wood, my junk runs at ever match and I'm not busy clearing malfunctions (when I use a bottom feeder) like somebody I know.

Last edited:

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    My malfunctions are caused my the idiot operator not the loader. I haven't double charged a case or had a squib (and had to beat on my gun with a hammer) with my dillon like someone I know has with their RCBS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom