Remember when...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This thread is pretty cool! Here are some of the more "pessimistic" things I remember from growing up. Being a kid of the 80's I remember finding some lawn darts in one of my cousins sheds. My dad wouldn't let us play with them. I also remember that nasty bastard also known as "The Smoking Section" of Shoneys. Steel shot became law for hunting waterfowl. The drinking age in Louisiana was raised from 18 to 21. One of my favorites was those plastic Halloween 1 piece costumes that were guaranteed to melt you your body whenever they caught on fire from candles or cigarettes.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I am 24 years old... and I was just sitting down surfing the internet, checking email, listening to Pandora radio, and txting my GF all at the same time.... on my phone.. I am pretty young by most standards on here, but I am dumbfounded sometimes by the stuff we can do these days.

I remember when my mom had a bag cell phone that you had to plug in the cig lighter in the car and was HUGE it was like 10lbs. When I got my first cell phone it had the Green Screen and you could play snake and that was pretty much it... now i can play games on my phone with someone over seas..

We use to have to pay for so many mins for the internet on dial up... no I can take my lap top just about anywhere and get internet..

I kinda miss the good ol' days sometimes... stuff was a lot less complicated... wish we could go back sometimes

Friends would ride from miles around to play a good ol' game of backyard tackle football
    I don't have any kids but, I am pretty sure i would not feel safe now letting my kid ride there bikes to a friends house... or even feel safe letting them do half the stuff I did when I was a kid... Never know with people now.. not a whole bunch of trustworthy people around these days..

I would like to hear some Remember when Storys from Y'all... lets hear'em

Yes, when I first got online with my Commodore 64 there were fees to join the bbs and then long distance TelCo fees. Then there was PC-Link, AKA AOL and you only had so much time per month. If you went over they dinged you like todays cell phones going over on text messages. And just think, when I was the age you are now the fastest car you could buy for the money was a V6 Buick, so was the fastest car LOL and the V8 Mustang LX was number two followed by the Fbody.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Screw up at a friend's house and said friend's parents would whoop your butt. By the time you got home, the belt was waiting cause that darn phone was faster than your bike.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I remember getting under my desk in school for practice in case of a nuclear bomb attack. For real.

When remote control TVs first came out--the remote was just a "clicker" that would make the channel go up, and maybe the volume. And you could rattle keys and make the channel change.

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    I remember if you wear bad in school you got sent to the Principal’s Office and the Princeable would ask you to pick your punishment, either a cane, or a paddle, or a strap, or a belt, but you wear going to get one of them on the BUT. And then when you got home from school you got get again from your Dad.
    I remember Rabbit hunting in Prosper Field / the Cabbage Patch just off of Parish Rd in Chalmette. Ya I’m one of those Chalmations. When I got out of the Navy in 75 I went on the St Bernard Sheriff’s Office till I moved in 86.
    Remember all the good old times we had at the Pontchartrain Beach riding the Zepher
    Going down to the local bar room to get your neighbor his six pack of DIXIE. And that was on a bicycle.
    Like someone said real M80’s, hell we used to make our own.
    Have lawnmower raises. Hell with taking the blade off, that would have been to much work.
    Things we used to do we would all be in JAIL now for.

irishredhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Slidell, La
    im only 20 :p so i dont have as many stories. lol. but i do remember going to my dads when i was little, and every morning he would open all the windows in the house and blast the oldies. tv's weren't aloud on until right before bed. riding bikes on the levee with him all the way to the ferry, and then the french quarter just to get some beignets and tip the street performers. im blessed enough that when i go to visit him his habits havent changed :) and bike rides are still a frequent thing. he just has to stretch alot beforehand.

Last edited:

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    Having to dial a phone, Sears selling guns, getting up to change the channel on the TV and there were only 5. When K and B sold vacuum tubes. Getting a dollar from my aunt to go get her a pack of cigarettes and no one giving it a second thought. The dumps off 1088 north of the lake that every one used as a shooting range. Top Value stamps.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    -No one freaked out if grandpa let you sit in his lap and steer the Olds Delta 88.
    -Car seats for kids that had metal tube frames that stuck down between the seat/back and a roller coaster type padded bar that folded down in front to hold you in.
    -Fold up rumble seats in the back of Ford station wagons, or lying in sleeping bags in the back on long road trips without the slightest care of a cop giving mom or dad a ticket.
    -Plastic skateboards.
    -Adjustable roller skates that strapped on over your shoes, and had metal wheels.
    -Bringing toy/water guns to school for recess and no one stroking out over it.
    -Walking the neighborhood as a fourth grader with a pellet rifle and a 4" Buck 110 in a sheath on your belt, and no one stroking out over it.
    -My aunt in Lacombe living in a log cabin, not a modern house made to look like a log cabin.
    -My uncle in Lacombe having an outhouse.
    -Eight foot satelite TV dishes.
    -Canned drinks had pull tabs, bottled drinks didn't have twist tops, and fancy kitchens had a thingamajig on the wall that looked like a bloated pencil sharpener but was used to crush ice.
    -Pushing in large protruding buttons to change radio stations in a car.
    -All kinds of weird shaped, brightly colored transistor radios and 8-track players.
    -Record players that closed up like a suitcase to be taken with you.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Lotta St. Bernard folk in this thread. I won't dare use that "other" word.

I don't really have too many stories, as I'm young. I can remember there being way more ruins to the De La Ronde house. Like multiple pieces being two stories tall.

I know my uncle used to go back in the woods in Chalmette and find cannon and musket balls. My mom likes to tell stories of being able to lay on Judge Perez Drive because it ended near where she grew up.

Top Bottom