Remington 700 recall

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    Hey guys i work at the Academy in Hammond and we were just told to pull all model 700s off the shelf and hold them until further notice.

I googled to see if there was a general recall on them but the only thing I found relating to a recall this year was a post on calguns.net nobody believes there is one but he mentions that several other stores are also pulling stock.

I asked the managers here and the only thing that they know was a email came in from our firearm compliance telling us to pull them off the shelf and store them until further instructions come through.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

One of my friends here (also an associate) believes that there is a problem with the barrels and that they are being recalled because of that but I can't seem to find any confirmation on the web.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    >>>>>>>>http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?126229

markey_mark_wtf.gif

Last edited:

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    Go on remington's website and check them if you need to,all you have to do is put your serial# in, i had to check one of my guns that way.

cajunranger

Ghost
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    DeRidder
    Remington Arms Announces Voluntary Product Recall

April 11, 2014
    Madison, N.C. - Remington Arms Company, LLC (*Remington*) today announced a voluntary recall of Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles with X-Mark Pro® (*XMP®*) triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.

Senior Remington engineers determined that some Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with XMP triggers could, under certain circumstances, unintentionally discharge.
    IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY, THESE PRODUCTS ARE BEING RECALLED.

Remington’s investigation determined that some XMP triggers might have excess bonding agent used in the assembly process, which could cause an unintentional discharge. Therefore, Remington is recalling ALL affected products to fully inspect and clean the XMP triggers with a specialized process. Remington has advised customers to immediately cease use of recalled rifles and return them to Remington free of charge. The rifles will be inspected, specialty cleaned, tested, and returned as soon as possible. Do not attempt to diagnose or repair recalled rifles. Remington established a dedicated website and toll-free hotline to help consumers determine whether their Model 700 or Model Seven rifle(s) are subject to recall:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The 700's all the way up to '07 can fall victim to the "fire without touching the trigger" issue.
    Our own military has documented the problem on video. There have been numerous wrongful death lawsuits against Remington over the years and during one, a new rifle that Remington's attorney brought in actually duplicated the problem on the witness stand as witnessed and declared by the judge at the time. The man who designed the rifle warned Remington about the safety concern and came up with a 5.2 cent per rifle fix, and was backed by other engineers but was ignored by Remington. I've known about this since the 70's and have seen it come up every once in a while, but it looks like it has come totally out of the closet now. I quit telling people about it years ago because most don't want to hear it. So now they can hear it from someone else. There was a story on one of the major news networks this morning where they ultimately interviewed the long since retired designer of the rifle, who openly admitted the problem and how things were ignored for decades. I think there's no better place to hear the truth than from the horse's mouth.

Quick work to the OP, btw

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?126229-Current-quality-issues-with-firearms

Last edited:

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    I originaly posted just before I got off of work and at the time there was no official word from remington about any recall. A few hours later and remington posts one of the largest recalls that i have ever heard of for this industry.
    It seems like this is going to be a huge financial hit to freedom group. I don't want to imagine how many firearms are actually affected by this recall, 8 years worth of production....:eek4:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I originaly posted just before I got off of work and at the time there was no official word from remington about any recall. A few hours later and remington posts one of the largest recalls that i have ever heard of for this industry.
    It seems like this is going to be a huge financial hit to freedom group. I don't want to imagine how many firearms are actually affected by this recall, 8 years worth of production....:eek4:
    the recall must stem from the exposé I watched the other day on one if the news channels. But as far as the years of production, the rifle in question, as to say, the trigger issue, has been around since the 60's I believe. Thousands of complaints to Remington and many lawsuits later, they're just gonna have to bite the bullet for the sheer bull headed ignorance they exhibited in not taking the 5.2 cent per rifle fix 50+ years (and many rifles) ago.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Just checked. My sn is in the recall. Looks like I'm parting with my rifle for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm in the same boat although I've never had a problem with it I'm going to send it in all the same. I'm happy they are picking up the tab for shipping both ways and are taking care of the problem.

They gave out a discount code for a couple of sites if anyone is interested as a sort of apology though they didn't have to.

http://www.shopremingtoncountry.com/

http://www.remington1816.com/accessories/

Discount code is ROCSVC40 it's 40% off of purchase.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I get send it in for safety "just in case" but this is a POTENTIAL issue in the trigger. Go check and see if you can make it malfunction. If you can send it in if you can't I'd keep my rifle. And if you really want peice of mind and improve the rifle get rid of that suck ass trigger and replace it with an aftermarket and be done with it.

Mountains out of mole hills.

Last edited:

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    I get send it in for safety "just in case" but this is a POTENTIAL issue in the trigger. Go check and see if you can make it malfunction. If you can send it in if you can't I'd keep my rifle. And if you really want peice of mind and improve the rifle get rid of that suck ass trigger and replace it with an aftermarket and be done with it.

Mountains out of mole hills.

What quality trigger would you recommend replacing it with?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Just my opinion in post #14:
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?126510-Remington-Recall
    "Not to be a smartazz but, some don't have a safety as they are for bench rest. Make sure you get one with a safety.

Timney, Rifle Basix, Jewell. Probably some others I cant think of at the moment. As to the way they shoot no preference. The Jewell is nice but more money. Jewell is all stainless and 3 way adjustable on the rifle in the stock.

This is all based on if you feel comfortable not sending the rifle back for the recall.

Don't get a Jewell for an AR though."

Some guys have bigger preference over the trigger shoe shape, but on a light trigger I think it is less of an issue than on a heavy trigger.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom