Remington SPS Tactical in .308....good/bad/indifferent??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So, I almost bought a Remington SPS in .308. Almost...been eyeing the SPS Tactical model with the 20" barrel.

Does anyone have an SPS Tactical? And would anyone recommend for or against it? Any strong recommendation against the 20" barrel versus the 26" for distance shots (ie: 500 or so yards)?

I'm basically looking for an entry .308 tactical rifle, the 20" seems more practical in that you get the heavy barrel, but not the near 55" long rifle that the standard SPS has with it's 26" barrel. And I chose Remington just because they seem to be a long time standard of decent/affordable rifles with a lot of mods available in the aftermarket. I've never owned a rifle other than my AR's, a Mini 14, and as of this afternoon finally an AK (thanks Louque's Firearms!). So a bolt gun is new to me....just looking to get into some longer range shooting for less than $1,000. Preferably less than $750.

Any help in the right direction is much appreciated.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    :deadhorse:

Lots of threads on this. Check out the search feature, but that's a good choice. I don't own one, but I've done a fair bit of research, and my next rifle purchase will be the SPS 20 inch.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    The SPS Tac is a fine gun to get your feet wet. Plan to spend at least just as much (if not more) on optics and mounts. As you learn to shoot you can upgrade the stock and trigger, and eventually the barrel for a full on field target or competition rifle.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The factory Remington barrel will shoot sub .3MOA groups. You just need to true up the action, chase the threads, check the crown, etc. It's a great weapon and you can work on all those little things as you improve.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Just got one...came with adjustable trigger, took screw out for light as it 'll get...not bad

I only spent 300 on scope and mounts, if I get into range shooting with it I'm sure it will want more scope but for what I'm doing the Pro Staff is working fine. Mine is the BDC, used the 1st ring so far and it appears to be on.

Ran a thread a little while back after dropping the gun in a bad ground level fall. Knocked the Scope off by 12 " windage. Re sighted and put it back on the mark.

IOW so far so good...drove it out the door for around 900

GitUone

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    700 bolts are brazed onto the bolt body and have been known to break off. Some gun smiths will offer a strengthening package that involves drilling, tapping, and securing the bolt handle to the bolt with screws for this reason. I've hammered 700 bolts open with a 2x4 and they haven't broke off though, so the strength varies of the stock weld.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2702819#Post2723561

gunslinger

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    North shore
    Yea i know you'll hear about most of the things that go wrong and few of the things that go rite ,that's the way the internet works.Guess it's like the news... all bad.But on the real,,we put a man on the moon ,,,maybe,,lol,,one would think remington could make something like a bolt handle work 100%

EDIT- i wish i had not sold my remmy and i will have another someday why ,,well there hammer's simply put ,so it's a roll of the dice with the variable's?

Last edited:

gunslinger

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    North shore
    yea,,, i still have room in the safe if,,,ummm ,you change your mind,,,just saying;) enjoy it!!

feedback on the way,, and it was good meeting you also!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I have seen a few guys on the internet claim to have had a bolt handle come off in their hands from a new Remmy in a gun store. I find that hard to believe. Not that it never happened. Just so many instances of it happening all the same way.

I have even handled the 710/770 and they are not as bad as what I see about them. Then again I manage to shoot Rem Golden Bullets out of .22s and not go into rants about them.

I did end up with the 26" Rem 700. In all honesty I was looking for a Savage or Remington. The 700 found me first. You can cut down a barrel - can't make it longer. There is some arguement for a shorter barrel. However I don't think it matters as much as what bullet and how you tune your loads. I would worry more about the total package. IE. Bedding, optics, bipod, shooter. At 500yds the guy that can read the wind will shoot better.

I would be looking to getting on the range and spending more on shooting than equipment. Then you can upgrade later. Nothing wrong with a Savage either.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    If my bolt is open and the barel pointed up, pushing the bolt release in the trigger guard will drop the bolt...but it's pecificaly done ,

also, I had a savage with accu trigger, had it been 270 or 308 I'd still have it, but synthetic and 7mm mag is too much for me.

Top Bottom