Request from a professor.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    On monday of last week, after the BZ training session from Paul, my professor walked in and asked what we did over the weekend. Being 1 of the 2 people in the class (out of 6 total) I spoke up and told him I went shooting and did a little training session. He then asked me what guns I have and he showed an interest in my pistol and revolver.

On wed I was sitting in the hall waiting for him to come open the door and start class he asked me what I thought about a 9mm and what I thought was the best out there. I then asked him what he was using it for and he said home defense. He is really interested in a 9mm.

So the question is, Do I recommend a Glock or tell him the Beretta is the right choice. He is not going to be carrying it daily, like I said HD and plinking at the range. I know it will probably end up being a whatever he likes more (only shot 1 gun before in his life) but I want to know what you guys think of the 2 guns side by side.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    You must tell him the Glock, they have been known to defeat entire Armies w/o firing a single round. And they help compensate for having a small penis complex. At least that is the way it appears to everyone else. They also have been known to make some all knowing and arrogant read the next few threads and see what I mean.

The above does not apply to all individuals as some Glock owners are actually level headed individuals; but that isn't the norm.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    You must tell him the Glock, they have been known to defeat entire Armies w/o firing a single round. And they make you feel like you have a big penis too. At least that is the way it appears to everyone else. And it also makes you all knowing and arrogant read the next few threads and see what I mean.

Uh oh . :eek3:

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    You must tell him the Glock, they have been known to defeat entire Armies w/o firing a single round. And they help compensate for having a small penis complex. At least that is the way it appears to everyone else. They also have been known to make some all knowing and arrogant read the next few threads and see what I mean.

the funny thing is,people who dont like glocks,say this kind of **** and thats ok they also say tings like, dependable,rugged,reliable..they would rather carry their glock daily the their more expensive guns,,becaue of how well they hold up and how dependable they are,,because their expensive handguns might get scrathed,,even tho its a tool made to defend your life heaven forbid you get a scaratch on it:rolleyes:

the truth is he needs to weigh the pros and cons for what he comfortable with,,xternal safety,price,comfort shooting...

b00st3d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    new orleans
    i own a glock, but i think he should go to the range and hold both and fire both and see which one feels better. most ranges have ones to rent.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    well I will tell him to go to a range, anyone have a Beretta and want to meet around Lafayette? Maybe if I let him borrow my glock and get a beretta to let him borrow I can get some extra points.....

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    Glock 19 - the world's best all-purpose pistol.

He doesn't sound like you typical commie/pinko/hippy/wackadoo professor.

Nah he is a old guy that grew up on a farm, started teaching in Renewable Resources and stayed there. He is head of the department and is probably close to retirement. He teaches me Renewable Resources management and he is a great teacher.

All the teachers leave the hippiness to a guy named Griff Blakewood, he is the resident Hippie that everyone loves that is on a mission to save the world and help kids learn to think for themselves while he is at it.

Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    Theres so many options for a good 9mm, why limit yourself to only the Glock and Beretta? Just recently and thanks to the guy in the shooting stall next to me, I had the opportunity to shoot a XDM 9mm and i gotta say pretty nice. Thanks to some of the fine members on this site i've had the opportunity to shoot alotta tupperware and they definitely all have and different feel and personal comfort level. So, I would say he needs to try several guns and find what he's most comfortable with.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I like my 92, I wouldn't recommend it for a CCW though. Very accurate at long ranges. Shot a few Glocks and I like them but they are just not for me.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Tell him to go to Barney's and see what fits him better. I think they will let him try them out. He also should try other calibers. Like .45.
    The bigger the hole the better.

Art

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    9mm would not be my first choice for home defense (12 ga is!). That being said, drag him to the range and let him try as many as possible. Glock and Beretta are both OK. I have problems w/ Glock's lack of manual safety for people who don't shoot much. I guess it would be OK for him if he doesn't keep it chambered. There are plenty of other choices though. Steyr, Sig, H&K on the higher end. Taurus, Ruger, Keltec, FN, and S&W in the mid price. Hi Point, Lorcin, Bersa and others in the lower rung. Don't sell them short. They may not be what we'd want, but to sit in the top of a closet until needed they may work fine (Plus we have a Lorcin factory authorized gunsmith on board!). There are also a bunch of surplus guns out there for bargain prices.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Glock 19, but tell him that the gun doesn't matter if he doesn't know how to use it...then you invite him to this website to post and read, and then he will be invited to shoot with us where will learn how to use his pistol, and we would have 1 more person, this time an educated-educator that can change peoples lives, on our side.

Thank you, please drive through.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Glock 19, but tell him that the gun doesn't matter if he doesn't know how to use it...then you invite him to this website to post and read, and then he will be invited to shoot with us where will learn how to use his pistol, and we would have 1 more person, this time an educated-educator that can change peoples lives, on our side.

Thank you, please drive through.

+1

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I am not a glock guy, but would have to say that for someone that is probably never going to use the gun, the glock would probably be the way to go.
    My reasoning is that he is probably never going to clean it or practice using it, so the glock or a revolver would be the logical choice. I even say glock over revolver because if it gets damp from humidity or such, the revolver might develope issues from rust and gunk.
    Now, if he is taking an interest in shooting, get him to try several and see what he is comfortable with.
    I would just hate to see someone in a home defense situation grab the gune thaey have not touched in 10 years and try to rember how to prepare it for defense. The glock is dead simple and could probably be used to prop the bed up for 10 years and still serve it purpose when called on!
    Keep in mind, I do not even own a glock and have opted for other pistols over the glock several times, but it is a good gun.

Top Bottom