Rifle choice advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Rifle virgin here. I have a Marlin 60 .22lr but that doesn't count. I want to hunt deer and....if a hog shows its head....that too. I want good quality, something I can pass down to grandkids in the future but won't break the bank today. I would like to stay below $1000 with scope included but I'm finding that might be unrealistic. I've got my eye on a Browning X-Bolt but with a decent scope I'm looking at $1200+, which I may have to bite the bullet unless someone out there knows of equal quality with a better price. I'm told look for a full floated bbl, smooth action of the bolt, ergonomics, and trigger feel, but all that means nothing to me if I don't know what to look for. I'm also told 30-06 or 308 because I want knock down power and chances are my furthest shot might be 200yds. As for scopes, well virgin on that too. I know they all have their high and low ends but what is a good all-around scope and power? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Rifle virgin here. I have a Marlin 60 .22lr but that doesn't count. I want to hunt deer and....if a hog shows its head....that too. I want good quality, something I can pass down to grandkids in the future but won't break the bank today. I would like to stay below $1000 with scope included but I'm finding that might be unrealistic. I've got my eye on a Browning X-Bolt but with a decent scope I'm looking at $1200+, which I may have to bite the bullet unless someone out there knows of equal quality with a better price. I'm told look for a full floated bbl, smooth action of the bolt, ergonomics, and trigger feel, but all that means nothing to me if I don't know what to look for. I'm also told 30-06 or 308 because I want knock down power and chances are my furthest shot might be 200yds. As for scopes, well virgin on that too. I know they all have their high and low ends but what is a good all-around scope and power? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Just my personal opinion, stay away from the Browning. You're paying more for a name. If you want something that looks good and performs great, you can find a Remington SPS in either caliber you mentioned (both are great for your needs), buy a good looking Boyds stock and learn how to swap it out, and a set of Talley rings that will fit the most expensive Leupold scope you can afford with whatever is left over.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Depending on the condition I'd say it's fair. Scopes have jumped light years in quality in just the last 10 years, so I wouldn't put much value in a scope much older than that. Will it work for what you want it to do.....absolutely. Is it worthy of an heirloom....that's up to you.

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    Remington 700s are great guns, time proven and lots of aftermarket support. However I think a 26" barrel is unnecessary for the ranges you're looking at. The tactical model of the SPS has a 20" barrel which will be lighter and better handling but still have more than enough power to take down a deer at 200 yards. I plan on picking one up myself later this week.

As far as scopes go you can easily get a good hunting scope for $500 or less, though I'd stay away from the really cheap brands. Burris, Leupold, and Vortex all make great scopes at affordable prices. For your purposes you shouldn't need any magnification more powerful than 9x. I'd go with something variable, like a 3-9x or 2-7x.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Take a look at the tikka rifles as well. A tikka t3 lite with a Meopta Meopro would be a fantastic setup. The Remington entry level tactical stuff is ok but most people are getting into them for hosts.

mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    win model 70s and rem 700's are proven to be very accurate right out of the box. 30-06 or 308 are allways readily available as far as ammo goes. i've found 200 yards or less deer hunting with low light, a fixed 6x scope with a good light collecting objective works best. the swfa fixed power scopes are very nice. If you went with a tried and true mil surplus gun, and a good scope, you may come out much better than the fancy browning can ever reach. in the long run, caliber doesn't matter as much as the well placed shot. especially under 200 yards. shoot a few and find one that fits you.

Last edited:

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Savage 111 in 3006. They have obviously been doing something right when several companies are copying their design with the barrel nut and accutrigger. I would put money that a savage will out shoot its factory remington equivalent just by being able to cut down on headspace tolerances from using the barrel nut and not a shoulder. If you look used you can find the 110 around 350-400. plenty of money for glass left over. for glass look at vortex. they are a great value and the warranty is second to none.

Last edited:

mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    Savage 111 in 3006. They have obviously been doing something right when several companies are copying their design with the barrel nut and accutrigger. I would put money that a savage will out shoot its factory remington equivalent just by being able to cut down on headspace tolerances from using the barrel nut and not a shoulder. If you look used you can find the 110 around 350-400. plenty of money for glass left over. for glass look at vortex. they are a great value and the warranty is second to none.

+1

dydog4566

LA CHP Instructor # 411
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Greenwell Springs,LA
    I have a Browning A bolt in 300 win mag, I picked it up at a gun show for 400 $ put a necstar tactical scope on it
    Also have a Remington sps in .308, I bought it from a fellow bayou shooter, both are great rifles, and for the purposes you stated are perfect for that. Look around on here and you should be able to find a rifle and scope to suit your needs for under a grand

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Tikka T3 in 308. Put a Nikon Pro Staff on it and it will suit your needs in budget. Upgrade the scope when funds allow.

Frog,
    Whoever told you a first focal plane removes the need for adjusting parallex does not have an understanding of either as they are not related. I primarily only own FFP scopes and you ABSOUTLELY will have parallex error in a FFP. Matter of fact most of the error occurs within 200 yards. Now it is not enough to miss a deer broad side but it ABSOUTLELY will effect POA / POI. This is a major cause of people thinking they have a slightly wandering zero or effecting group size by not checking for and removing the error by adjusting the parallex out of the optic.

mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    Tikka T3 in 308. Put a Nikon Pro Staff on it and it will suit your needs in budget. Upgrade the scope when funds allow.

Frog,
    Whoever told you a first focal plane removes the need for adjusting parallex does not have an understanding of either as they are not related. I primarily only own FFP scopes and you ABSOUTLELY will have parallex error in a FFP. Matter of fact most of the error occurs within 200 yards. Now it is not enough to miss a deer broad side but it ABSOUTLELY will effect POA / POI. This is a major cause of people thinking they have a slightly wandering zero or effecting group size by not checking for and removing the error by adjusting the parallex out of the optic.
    3817241+_78931f44909405ce7fef28f7207b5917.png

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Within your price range there are more options than you might think.
    You may do better buying a used gun in excellent condition from a member or other person.
    I've lucked up on two occasions on hunting rifles, but my best was a Ruger M77 MK II in .270 Winchester that I paid $403 for at Sports Unlimited in 1989. The Browning A bolt rifles were the same price but I liked the integrated scope rings that the Ruger offered. The gun was a tack driver right out of the box and always has been. I saved a target from when I was able to buy a better scope for it, and after I got it zero'd at 150, I shot 2 final rounds. The last three rounds were all touching in a neat, sub 1/2 inch triangle. And that was with Sellier&Bellot 150gr round nose bullets that I found to be the tightest grouping in that rifle.
    If I was looking for a Remington I'd opt for a clean used 600 BDL. The cheaper current versions are a no go for me, as I've heard too many bad things and have seen a total lack of accuracy from a stainless model in 7mm Mag. The guy came to my Dad's range to try sighting in again and we went over the quality mounts/rings and leoupold scope he mounted up and could find no fault except in the rifle. 3 different major brand name loads were all throwing pitiful groups at 100. He had fired 60+ rounds from the rifle prior to that and cleaned the rifle. We were shooting from a sled.
    Savage has one of the best offerings I've seen for the money, and I've learned to love their accu-trigger. Right out of the box, they are accurate.
    From your post, it sounds like you want a rifle that wil stand the test of time and hold a decent value years from now, being considered one of the greats of your time. Except for the ones that have already achieved that status, I don't think any of us can say with certainty what $600-800 rifle of current production will wear that badge 50 years from now. Good luck in your quest for that family heirloom, and if you decide on a new rifle, try to shop around online for the best price and go through one of the FFL dealers here for the transfer. Doing so could mean a difference of $100-$200.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Don't overlook the old lever action guns. Remington (Sorry, old Marlin guns, I think Rem bought Marlin...) (old ones, heard new ones have problems, look for the J mark on the gun) or Winchester. A nice used 30-06 30-30 should be found for well under your price. Used gun, scope mount and scope that fits your needs should be easy.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    All good points, thanks for the input. I'm going to an auction this Wed. here in Houston to see if I can get a good deal on a scoped Winchester .308 on the block. There are several rifles being offered and among them are a few Weatherby models but they may be bid out of my price range. I have $600 cash in hand right now will update as to how that auction goes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom