RIP Paul Gomez

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I sold my first pistol on Bayoushooter to Paul. I only met him that one time, but he seemed like a really nice guy.

I have watched many of his videos and he truly had a gift for teaching others and had a lot of knowledge to share.

My condolences to his loved ones, and to the community as well, that has lost a valued member.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Wow. Never met the guy but had a huge amount of respect for him. Seemed like a guy who really had himself together. Prayers go out to his family.

Anyone know what happened?

latour50

Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Was in the Police Academy with Paul in '99. Very knowledgeable guy who was generous with that knowledge. Very nice guy. The sport/industry lost a good one.

Godspeed and safe journey Paul...

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    God d*mn it! I was to have called him a couple of weeks ago...

****!

Talk about a helluva guy. You are missed, Paul. You are missed...

Godspeed

Edit:

I met Paul through a friend of mine, Instructor Andy Stanford. When I left MI for BTR I called Andy to see what he was up to and he gave Paul a call and we met for dinner at Brunet's Cajun Restaurant. We closed the place discussing all manner of technical details of shooting. Andy was correct. He was a superb individual and friend. Paul and I (mostly Paul) put together a list of instructors we'd like to take and he was like a kid in a candy store! He was genuinely excited about learning more.

The initial list came from another superb content website and we added/HE added other instructors and what he believed their background to be. I emailed it to him and encouraged him to publish it as it would carry more weight. He refused; encouraging me to. He also encouraged me to do some instructing while I was at home which never took place once I got a job traveling back and forth to New Orleans.

The night at Brunet's I was carrying an M&P9 and he was carrying his Glock 19 with NY1 and 4.5 lb connector. He was genuinely interested in the M&P and I informed him of the simple mods of installing the Massachussetts-compliant Trigger Return Spring combined with the S&W Performance Center Sear. He was searching for a TRS and I had three and I don't recall if I gave him the extra one but I did tell him where to find them - Burwell's Guns. I believe he set his up similarly with an Apex sear.

I also loved the Training in the Park though I could only make one. The guy GAVE away more than many charge you for. He cared.

Over the Christmas 2011 Holidays I left him a message to assist some friends in BTR shooting. We never managed to catch up but we emailed a few times.

When I first got to BTR I had no engineering prospects and while we were eating I told him of a potential job art Southern University and he told me of the really funny (and sad) time he had at SU and I still laugh at the ignorance of his co-workers and his obvious brilliance. Later that summer (2008) he invited me to a class pro bono. It was then I encouraged him to write a book and I'd proof it pro bono. Believe me, he has the material.

One thing I loved about Paul much more than his brilliant analytical approach to things martial was the fact that the man was extremely well read. That's what put the icing on the cake for me. He was not a "one trick pony": guns only.

I feel hearbroken we did not get to talk again and was going to call him this week to find out when was his class in Indianapolis this year. I really wished to sit and have dinner.

I never got to tell him that he really was one of the "Welcoming Committee" for me at home. And he is irreplaceable. For ME, Baton Rouge lost a little shine. Paul had a way of making you feel welcome; as if HE was home. And for me he was that, a brother and a very good friend.

I miss you, man.

Kevin

Last edited:
    Top Bottom