RIP Paul Gomez

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    copied from my Facebook:

Have you seen Toy Story? Do you remember those three little green aliens that were constantly amazed and would "ooooohhhhh" over just about anything? Listening to Paul Gomez was like that. I had only met him a handful of times but after reading everybody's stories, it didn't matter. Once, twice, every Tuesday for lunch… He left the same impression. He was that kind of guy.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've never heard of him, but after reading all the responses, I wish I had. It sounds like we lost a great man. My condolences to all of his family and friends.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    pgclassa.jpg

Cat, Spec, Paul, Steve (me), Turbodog, XD-Gem.
    Training in the Park

Last edited:

Countryman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    My thoughts and prayers to the Gomez family, I pray peace and comfort for you during this difficult time. I'm so sorry for your loss

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    pgclassa.jpg

Cat, Spec, Paul, Steve (me), Turbodog, XD-Gem.
    Training in the Park

Yup. We talked specifically about altercations with kids in tow. Normally he preached the standard "back away!" three times, each time getting more forceful and acting on the third forceful "GET THE F BACK!". He modified that for me in a way that works. I'll always remember that because he briefly explained how I can take any training skill, and with a little thought tweak or expound on it with a six year old's safety in mind.

Herding kids and being alone are two different animals when you're loading groceries and keeping an eye out in parking lots. Since he traveled with his kids a lot, he "got" exactly where I was coming from and my concerns.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    I had the pleasure of meeting Paul at one of the free classes he most generously gave; at the Trey Yuen get-together, and (I think) at an informal BSC lunch many moons ago. A great guy all the way around. Prayers sent for him and his family.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Sad to hear. I only talked to him a time or two and never met him but know all too well the time he would spend teaching classes and helping people prepare themselves for various things. Prayers for his family and close friends.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It sure speaks volumes about the type of person he was the way he gave so much of his free time volunteering to share what he knew with others....That is something you just don't see very often these days.

Although I hate the circumstances, those of you who knew him well are allowing others like myself who did not to learn more about him through your stories & memories of him- and I thank you all for that.

Remembering the good times is such an important part of coping with the loss of friends & family...I know it's helped me deal with some of those unhappy times we all must go through in life....

Last edited:

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Wow. I never had the pleasure to meet Gomez, but he seems like one of those where you could learn more than imaginable if you merely listened.

May God comfort the family in their time of loss and grief.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    I met him at his first free class at the Original BZ. A lot of what he said still sticks with me. He was a great teacher and a great guy, you picked up on that as soon as you started talking to him.

Does anyone know what happened yet?

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    So sad to hear this news. I will be praying for his family.

I only met Paul once. It was at his training in the park soon after I had joined here. I had no idea who he was at the time but someone in the thread had posted some info on him and suggested noobs like me should go. It was the first time I had done any kind of weapons training and honestly I had my doubts. I was more than pleasantly surprised. It was clear to me in a very short time that he was the real deal and I had just landed in a gold mine. When I got home (still pumped up) I looked into him and was even more dumbfounded how someone with so much talent would freely give away so much information. His passion for training was palpable and intoxicating. I learned a lot that day and still practice the things we worked on. In today's time it is rare for someone to be so giving of himself to total strangers. He will be missed.

-Sam

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Never met him, but it seems his teachings have made it to other instructors, which looks to be a very good thing. Sad day when we lose a good man such as has been described here.

firemanwade

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    On behalf of my family, I would like to thank everyone for the outpouring of support for Paul's passing. He passed from an
    Issue with his diabetes. He was a great brother, father, friend and trainer. He will be greatly missed

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Rest peacefully. Thanks to Paul for everything he's ever taught me. I will carry on the lessons I had the honor of learning and teach them to those that are close to me. I will never forget Paul Gomez.

Top Bottom