Ruger LCR opinions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    No wonder I just saw this thread-- it's ancient.

Here's my experience with the LCR, and that of my girlfriend for whom it was originally intended.

Let's start off by saying the Hogue grips make a lot of difference. Mine came with the CT's, which turned out to be just fine as the LCR is now my BUG. However, for an inexperienced female shooter, the trade off is arguably not worth it. Suffice it to say, the thing is not pleasant to shoot in any sort of volume-- especially if you toss in some +p's for the sake of realism.

J frame snubbies are light; scandium frames are lighter; the LCR is lighter still. My girlfriend adores my 92F/S; adores the P226; enjoys the G17; tolerates the G22; doesn't mind the M&P .45. But 50 rounds through the LCR, and she's ready to call it quits.

Within its category, this little Ruger is awesome. I'm not much of a wheel gunner, but the trigger on this thing is very sweet-- and has gotten a lot of praise in all of the right circles. It's got a great shape and low weight, so carrying the puppy is easy as pie. Most J-frame holsters will fit it, although those with "tighter tolerances" choke on some part of the frame-- the trigger guard, IIRC. Its well built, the fit and finish is typical of Ruger (superb), and the mechanics in general are as smooth as butter. Accurate as the day is long t'boot!

But I'd advise against it, for the "little lady" in your life-- especially with the CT grips. While a revolver isn't a bad idea as a first gun, a featherweight snubby almost certainly is. I also advise against the polymer subcompacts in many situations, especially in calibers bigger than 9mm-- OR in the size of the KelTec/LCP pocket guns. Provided she's willing and able to learn and practice manipulations, it's hard to go wrong with the G19. If the grip doesn't suit her, look into the M&P and XD line as well. For those uncomfortable with even 9mm recoil, the Walther PK380 is an excellent option-- great ergonomics, well constructed and the single easiest slide to manipulate that I've ever seen. If compact/concealable isn't a concern, "bigger is better" for a first time shooter-- and "heavy can be helpful" as well. With my girlfriend, we found the lighter the gun got, the less pleasant it was to shoot; reducing the grip duplicated or compounded this problem. Note that the G19 was an exception, as there was plenty of real estate to give a "full sized" feel; the G26 was borderline, but feasible with a grip extension-- although the increased muzzle flip was definitely an issue.

I learned two "lessons" that I think are valuable to share when shopping for a pistol intended for a lady friend.

1) Take her with you!

Ultimately, it's her comfort with the weapon that matters the most. Provided the weapon she likes is of sufficient quality, her opinion should count VASTLY more than yours-- unless she starts oogling custom 1911's, Sigs or HK's of course!

2) Let her shoot as many firearms as possible.

While it might not seem that shooting your AR can be valuable in this process, ANY firearms exposure is helpful. Using a gun as easy to work and with such gentle recoil as an AR-15, you can establish a benchmark by which to measure her tolerances. If she gets flustered over the charging handle/ping pong paddle use on your AR, but giggles when she touches off a 45-70, perhaps a .44 Mag is in her future?

Drago

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I know you said you were going to wait a little longer, I know this post is old. My wife handled all the small carry handguns (racking, loading, etc.). The Sig p238 was the one she liked the most. They come with night sights and are super easy to rack compared to the others. That small carry glock ( I think it's a 9mm) is a rough shooter, shot it, it hits your hand hard in a weird way. The p238 is like butter. It's another option no one mentioned.

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    I love mine, I had the 38 first then traded up to the 357. They are great for edc and won't break the bank or the wrist to shoot. Sure they kick a little but it is what it is, an extremely light concealable wheelgun. You won't find a smaller, smoother, lighter, better shooting revolver.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I love mine, I had the 38 first then traded up to the 357. They are great for edc and won't break the bank or the wrist to shoot. Sure they kick a little but it is what it is, an extremely light concealable wheelgun. You won't find a smaller, smoother, lighter, better shooting revolver.

I couldn't agree more with the above statement.... EDC mine in an ankle holster and forget it's there.
    Smoth, Slick, Great trigger for a revolver, goes bank every time No/low maintainence oh did I mention I really enjoy mine? lol

RUGERLCR.jpg
    [/IMG]

linc247

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Iowa
    My wife and I shot a lcr 38 before deciding on purchasing. We both loved it. It does kick a bit but not that much more than a sp101. So we bought her one to carry. My only regret was not buying a second one on the spot for myself. I carried hers more than my semi due to comfort. So I went a bought another for myself and I have a blast shooting it. Small, light and not a soul knows its on me!

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    My wife and I shot a lcr 38 before deciding on purchasing. We both loved it. It does kick a bit but not that much more than a sp101. So we bought her one to carry. My only regret was not buying a second one on the spot for myself. I carried hers more than my semi due to comfort. So I went a bought another for myself and I have a blast shooting it. Small, light and not a soul knows its on me!

10-4 I got me an LCP for backup and carry both to have a pair of pistolas of the same family lol
    Congrats on the LCR You'll like it I guarantee:}

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    i much rather carry my j frame also. buit for a woman i think the lcr with the hogue tamer has much less felt recoil. Mi gun was getting a little sloppy also. And as far as the trigger goes, i think this trigger is better out the box than 80% of cheaper ccw guns.

Top Bottom