Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Got to handle one for a minute in the shop, I was impressed. Wasn't expecting much for the price but was surprised how solid it felt. Seems like they used off the shelf parts in all the right places to keep cost down, without sacrificing any quality where it matters. Definitely keeping an eye on these. Did hear from someone that just got back from a class at FTW Ranch that they have had four of the RPRs out there for a while and the reports were all extremely positive. Not sure I'll be able to resist come tax free weekend.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Got to handle one for a minute in the shop, I was impressed. Wasn't expecting much for the price but was surprised how solid it felt. Seems like they used off the shelf parts in all the right places to keep cost down, without sacrificing any quality where it matters. Definitely keeping an eye on these. Did hear from someone that just got back from a class at FTW Ranch that they have had four of the RPRs out there for a while and the reports were all extremely positive. Not sure I'll be able to resist come tax free weekend.

Ruger discontinued the red label shotgun because it was too costly to produce the first go round as well as the second. It makes me wonder if these will fall victim to the same downfall. I know, I know its comparing apples to oranges. What do you guys think?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Ruger discontinued the red label shotgun because it was too costly to produce the first go round as well as the second. It makes me wonder if these will fall victim to the same downfall. I know, I know its comparing apples to oranges. What do you guys think?

I think that was a big endeavor for them, coming out of nowhere and trying to put out a high-end shotgun. When you look at it, the RPR uses mostly parts they already make (American action and trigger, AR parts, etc). The barrel, receiver and stock parts seem like about the only model specific items they have to produce, so I think it should be an easy production item for them (I hope).

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

Red Labels are nice!

I do hope it works out for Rigolette.

If the RPR doesn't last one could at least make something very similar. So it comes down to risk buying one now before "Waiting a bit though to see some real world reactions.", maybe miss out or spend more to do it on your own later. It may be possible to do cheaper later but that would be a long shot & I am not up on current prices. If it is successful maybe more will copy and produce similar.

Initial reports are good to glowing so the risk may not be bad at all.

Last edited:

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Just in case you aren't following this thread
    http://www.scout.com/military/snipe...13955138-new-ruger-precison-bolt-action-rifle

I'm seriously debating getting rid of my TRG and AI for one of these. I haven't shot either in over a year. I could take the left over cash and drop it on nods.

That was the most in depth I have looked at the RPR. Everything I had glanced at earlier was just advertising. It actually differs from tube guns quite a bit.

It is starting to look like a steal at that price. Folding Stock! I was wondering about the mag situation but that seems good to go.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    Bumping this because i finally got to shoot my RPR.

It ABSOLUTELY lives up to the hype. Sub 6" , 6 shot groups at 820 yards today. Didnt matter whether it was 140 grain, 120 grain, HPBT or AMAX.

it wouldnt go any tighter at 100 than about 1/2 MOA, but man did it hold those groups together as i stretched it out.

It destroyed my seekins SP10 in terms of group size.

So if you can find one, and are thinking about one, don't hesitate to get one. It seems the 6.5s and .308s are all shooters.

Some people have had issues with the .243 barrels.

Top Bottom