Ruger SR9 vs Springfiled xdm 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Don't take this the wrong way; but, you as an average shooter and consumer will only notice 2 maybe 3 big differences in the Springfield XD and XDm.
    1. Magazine capacity - XD = 16 XDm = 19. Which if you want to, you can buy Mec-gar's that are 18 rd flush fit for the XD and they function well. If you are THAT anal about 2-3 rounds, go to the range and practice, practice, practice. Go home, come back the next day and practice some more! Serious...

2. Grip design. By grip design, I mean that the XDm has the new interchangeable back straps to fit your hand better.
    3. Second part of grip design, the actual texture of the grip is different (meaning the grooves). The XDm has different grooves cut in the sides than the XD.

The "Loaded chamber indicator" are on both weapons and if a salesman tries to sell you the XDm on that; then you didn't do your research well.

The real deal with the "Match Barrel" in the XDm vs the XD is that the XD has the polygonal rifling bbl and the new XDm has an enfield rifling bbl. With that said, it mainly means that you can now shoot lead rounds with no issues.

And as far as "match" goes, that just means that the bore and chamber have been made to tighter tolerances and hammer forged. You can get this same thing if you have a regular XD, by sending your gun to the Springfield custom shop or another reputable gunsmith like Springer Precision (I've got an XD there now for some custom work).

Trigger pull? They are both set at 5.5 lbs - Industry Standard. Now you can send your XD off to Springer to smooth out the action some; but if I were gonna do that, I'd have them fit the XD bbl also and do a complete job. You can also do the 1,000 rd action job yourself with practice.

Bottom line....

You will not be able to out shoot either weapon. They are both good guns out of the box and with enough practice, you will feel confident with the weapons platform.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Good Advice, but what about the comparison to the Ruger. The OP was comparing the XDm to the Ruger.

Last Ruger 9mm I shot was a P-85 back in 1991.

I was giving him a run down on the XD vs XDm since a lot of people were referencing the XD on here. Just in case he had any doubt.

Plus the availability of the XD is greater than the XDm at most places.

Frnchyse

Will work for ammo!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Metairie
    ^^^^^^^^^ What he just said. I chose the my XD .40 service because the XDm was a little too big for my wants, plus the XD felt better in my hand. I don't know too much about the Ruger but I would always recommend a XD to anyone looking for a new pistol.

gmounce

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Thanks guys for all your comments and offers to shoot your guns. My girl and I got out last night and were able to shoot the Sr9, XDM, and a Sig 250. I fired about 50 rounds threw each, and my girl fired about 30. My first impressions were I still like my glock better. My girl fell in love with the SR9 and told me she had to have it. I guess I should have left her home. I guess it’s nice for your girl to enjoy and not complain on spending money on more firepower. On the way home I asked her if I could get two and she said why don’t you wait for your birthday in November and maybe she will get me the P250. That would be my first Sig. I really guess I have me a keeper for once.

LSU2010

I <3 U.S. Constitution
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks guys for all your comments and offers to shoot your guns. My girl and I got out last night and were able to shoot the Sr9, XDM, and a Sig 250. I fired about 50 rounds threw each, and my girl fired about 30. My first impressions were I still like my glock better. My girl fell in love with the SR9 and told me she had to have it. I guess I should have left her home. I guess it’s nice for your girl to enjoy and not complain on spending money on more firepower. On the way home I asked her if I could get two and she said why don’t you wait for your birthday in November and maybe she will get me the P250. That would be my first Sig. I really guess I have me a keeper for once.

Congrats! SR9 is awesome. My only prob is waiting on industry to catch up with accessories. Enjoy!
    AND kelley, I successfully removed the safety. you didn't mention that

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom