S&W .22lR Air Lite Best way to cleam powder residue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I have a .22lr Air Lite S&W that has some stubborn power residue, probably primer residue. Mainly it is near the cylinder / barrel gap.
    Any body know what cleans it without damaging the finish on this particular model.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Plastic brush and elbow grease?
    If that was all it takes it would have been long gone and I would not have posted. Sorry I didn't state the obvious. But I am not lazy or helpless and have already tried a few things.

I have already cleaned 90% of what was there, now they have some left that is like hitting a brick wall.

Last edited:

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I have a 617 in Stainless and it has the same problem; keeping it clean is pretty hard. I had good results by putting on some gloves and dipping a (well worn) scotchbrite pad in some Hoppe's. Took the powder right off and left the face nice and shiny. It got dirty again as soon as I took it out shooting though so I'm just going to live with it unless for some reason I decide to part with it.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Letting it soak in "the dip" for a day or two would get it completely as well. Just make sure you read up on what the dip is (50/50 3% Hydrogen Peroxide/White Vinegar) and how toxic it is afterwards.

Top Bottom