S&W Destroyed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My reply...

Many years ago I saw a picture of a revolver similarly destroyed (I think it was in precision shooting, but I could be wrong). The conclusion was that the powder used didn't fill the case. When the gun was leveled to fire, the powder flowed forward. If you can picture the powder in a case laying on its side, the level of the powder was lower than the primer hole. The primer fired igniting the entire charge at once, rather than from one end. The force of the explosion was directed upwards, removing the top half of the cylinder and the top strap of the gun. Their answer was to mix oatmeal in with the powder to fill the case and shake the cases to distribute.
    I haven't reloaded in a long time, so I don't know whether this would be an issue with this load. Or, you might have gotten a short powder charge in this one case.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    My reply...

Many years ago I saw a picture of a revolver similarly destroyed (I think it was in precision shooting, but I could be wrong). The conclusion was that the powder used didn't fill the case. When the gun was leveled to fire, the powder flowed forward. If you can picture the powder in a case laying on its side, the level of the powder was lower than the primer hole. The primer fired igniting the entire charge at once, rather than from one end. The force of the explosion was directed upwards, removing the top half of the cylinder and the top strap of the gun. Their answer was to mix oatmeal in with the powder to fill the case and shake the cases to distribute.
    I haven't reloaded in a long time, so I don't know whether this would be an issue with this load. Or, you might have gotten a short powder charge in this one case.

Not the first time I have heard this particular explanation when a top strap gets launched.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Something tells me that there is more to it than the position of the powder in relation to the primer . If that were the case , you would have this problem a million times a day .

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Dan its more about not having enough powder volume in the case. Since its low the primer flash ignites the entire load at once rather than more gradually. Also, the presssure is straight up rather than pushing the bullet and remaining powder load down the barrel. Theoretically at least.

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    LA Camper, that follows along with what most BP shooters know. When loading light loads, you must ensure that the ball rest on top of the powder. If it is to light of a load to seat the ball on top of (as with lever loaded pistols) you must use a filler to take up the airspace and keep the powder from leveling off. Under loaded cylinders on a BP pistol, where the ball does not seat against the powder leaving airspace tends to end with disasterous results.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I did see some things (can't remember where) on test where the gun was at different angles. The powder was at different locations in the case. Different peak pressures were generated.
    I have run across reloaders that believe compressed loads are the best for accuracy. The powder location doesn't change so 1 less variable is in effect. That is what the sales pitch is.
    Also some powders are reported to detonate if under charged. "Do not go 3% below minimum" or something to that extent is the warning.
    All 3 are debated with the latter being the hardest to prove therefore debated more hotly.

Usually there is more to the story and the owner does not tell all.

A lot of metal will look cast when it has been broken.

I've also seen a few discussions on using Cream of Wheat to reduce leading and things such as Dacron to fill the space.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom