S&W M&P Scratchy Trigger

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Maybe I'm not picky enough, but out of the box, I've no issue with any of my M&P triggers. I have the .22, 9mm (wife's), and .45, and the Bodyguard 380, but I don't think that really counts as an M&P. It's black though, and looks menacing, so Feinstein, Pelosi, and Landrieu would probably call it scary..

That could be the jarhead in me though, I don't tend to bitch about little things. I pull trigger, it makes bang, puts holes in black, I smile.

My Glocks do the same. My S&W revolvers do the same. If I had functional issues, then I would probably bitch a little, and sell it. Like I did with my Rugers.
    Although, I still have a 10/22, and it's a fine rifle.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    I bought a M&P 40 Compact back in 09. The trigger was pretty bad even after the 500 round "break in". It was very gritty. I did most of the Burwell trigger job on it, basically everything until you have to remove the rear sight. It made the trigger VERY nice and crisp. All you are doing is rounding and polishing a few surfaces. I ran about 2k rounds through the pistol after the mod and never had any issues with anything but aluminum cased Blazer, but it didnt like that stuff before the trigger job either.

I now have a new Shield and a M&P 40 (2012 test fire date). The Shield trigger is noticeably better. I have heard that the new M&Ps have a trigger more like the Shield, but my 40 sure does not. It is getting less gritty after lots of fry fires and a couple range trips, but I'll probably still do the trigger job.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I have an early an earlier M&P 9 prior to many of the trigger modifications by smith and while the trigger isn't anything great, it is certainly not gritty.

I would clean out the factory gunk, dry fire, and shoot the damn thing. It really does make a difference, I am still planning on going the APEX route but I don't feel it is a necessity to do atm.

shooter7

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    southeast LA
    When i exchanged emails with apex they suggested the heavy sear and usb replacement to lower trigger pull and to deal with the scratchiness.

GLOCKCRAZZ

Custom Sheath Maker
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    May 23, 2007
    BR AREA
    Here's what I don't get.
    I have the CORE pistol and a shield both 9mm. The shield shoots great. Feels nice with a pretty good reset.
    The CORE pistol coming out of the pro shop. I would expect something a little better. Almost zero felt reset and it crazy gritty.
    Debating the full apex trigger and spring upgrade on the CORE. I'm not touching the shield. Doesn't feel right I have to upgrade a pro shop series pistol. While the shield is just about perfect IMO.

Sent from the Bayou Custom Sheaths workbench.

matt99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Shreveport
    If you were to look at the internals of a new m&p you would see that certain parts are much more "APEX" like...

They are getting better. Glock has had a bit more time to perfect things!

Hoosier N La

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    Denham Springs
    I got an M&P 40 earlier this year that was made in the second half of 2012 and it has a noticeable trigger reset. This gun is my first striker fired pistol though so I don't have much to compare it to.

So far I like the trigger. It was/is a little scratchy during take up, but it is getting better (450 rounds). It breaks cleanly after the initial take up. I researched the Apex kit, but decided to just shoot it for awhile and see how things go. So far so good and I really like the pistol. Even got a .357 sig barrel for it.

I shot my buddies Glock 23 and did not like the trigger, but I didn't shoot it enough to get used to it.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    If you were to look at the internals of a new m&p you would see that certain parts are much more "APEX" like...

They are getting better. Glock has had a bit more time to perfect things!
    I noticed this too. With a Stone and a few minutes can make it feel just like apex on newer ones.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I got an M&P 40 earlier this year that was made in the second half of 2012 and it has a noticeable trigger reset. This gun is my first striker fired pistol though so I don't have much to compare it to.

So far I like the trigger. It was/is a little scratchy during take up, but it is getting better (450 rounds). It breaks cleanly after the initial take up. I researched the Apex kit, but decided to just shoot it for awhile and see how things go. So far so good and I really like the pistol. Even got a .357 sig barrel for it.

I shot my buddies Glock 23 and did not like the trigger, but I didn't shoot it enough to get used to it.
    If you have the newer parts in the gun that they are putting out now then you won't notice the wonderful difference that you hear all over the net. Your gun with 450 rounds is probably pretty darn close to what apex kit would feel like.

Hoosier N La

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    Denham Springs
    I watched videos and read up on the factory parts changes. I haven't taken my gun apart other than field stripping, but based on my research and positive experience I am pretty sure it has the newer parts. So far I am pleased with it and don't feel the need for an apex kit.

I have had zero malfunctions and really like the ergonomics. I had my mind set on a Glock 23 before I got the M&P, but now I am glad I got the M&P.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Just bought the Ms. a MP9. The trigger did feel a tad rough but not enough to really matter IMO, Ill let yall know what I think when I actually shoot it.

GLOCKCRAZZ

Custom Sheath Maker
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    May 23, 2007
    BR AREA
    Well I put a forward set apex trigger with ram in the core. Wow!!! It's very nice now.

Sent from the Bayou Custom Sheaths workbench.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Buy you a Kahr and your trigger problems are solved. I had a pm9 and that was the sweetest double action pull I've ever tried. Their pricey but worth it IMO.

Why do some people feel the need to jump into a thread about a specific gun and post crap like this?

Yay, you have a favorite gun that's different from the subject of the thread. Good for you.

I have 3 S&W MP series pistols, I have several other makes too, and love them all. Each has it's own points, and drawbacks. Personally, I have no problem with the M&P triggers, but if I can improve them, why not? Seems like Apex mods might be something I'll consider.

Last edited:

Labadie

WFPD
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    BR
    I have M&P Full, compact and Shield. The Shield came with an improved trigger over my full size and compact. The full size and the compact have both improved dramatically after 500 round or so. I have about 1K rounds through the full size and 800 through the compact. I have shot many of the other brands of guns and some have better triggers but FOR ME the M&Ps are the most accurate and reliable. I pull the trigger and they go bang, accurately, every time no matter what trashy ammo I put through them. IMHO a lot of folks say how great there triggers are right out of the box, however, i would never trust any gun make that cant feed 500 rounds of different types of ammo reliably. So if you put 500 rounds through an M&P to trust reliability then you should see some trigger improvement. Reliability and Accuracy are what i count on and have been happy with my M&Ps. I have a new shield .40 that i have just broken in 500 rounds and that trigger was good out of the box and it is better now.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If you want to improve trigger reset on your stock pistol, pull the trigger bar out of the gun and bend the tail end behind the trigger bar loop TOWARDS the sear cage. It'll act like something of a leaf spring and bounce more forcefully into place once the sear resets.

Don't overdo it, and bend it gently. I put 60k on a bar so tweaked and never had an issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom