S&W M&P

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I'm partial to a 4.5" .45, because it's my EDC. However, mine's been "loved on" by Dan Burwell, and last I checked, he was pretty far back logged.

FWIW, my next pistol purchase will be a 9mm Pro, with APEX guts. I just shoot these pistols better than the other tupperware.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    The 45c is about the same size as the g19/23. I was surprized when i compared it, thinking it was going to be "small". Either way, it shoots nice, conceals well, and holds 8+1 of 45 acp.

wjhachet

Infidel
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    LaPlace, LA
    Looks like I am going to go with the M&P 45C (most likely black, since my G26 is OD) but I do like the 9mm Pro....

Also, is it worth sending the gun to APEX to get the APEX DCAEK installed or can a shop intall it for me?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Looks like I am going to go with the M&P 45C (most likely black, since my G26 is OD) but I do like the 9mm Pro....

Also, is it worth sending the gun to APEX to get the APEX DCAEK installed or can a shop intall it for me?

PM SpeedRacer who is in your area.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Steve, I've done a lot of research on the dead trigger issue since Sam informed me about the issues. I plan on doing a complete write-up on the issue and how to fix/prevent it this evening. Although only the fullsize had issues, and I attribute some of it to limp wristing (both shooters that experienced it have midget hands :D), both of my M&Ps have been taken out of commission while the problem is resolved. S&W has made some design changes, and all current production guns are good to go. I'm not too stressed about it, it's expected when jumping into a new platform while they are still fresh out of the oven. I will elaborate more later...but long story short, worst case scenario is a $25 fix and mailing off the sear housing block.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, since you outed it... I too have done a LOT of research into the "dead trigger" deal, after reading about it when I got my pistol. Yes, supposedly S&W fixed it with a new type sear, etc., and my pistol never experienced it in the limited number (500 or so) rounds I put through it. But one wonders what is going on with these Apex assemblies.

Sorry, I ain't buying the "limp wrist" explanation. I too thought that might be the reason. But then I began watching both of them shoot. Trust me when I tell you I can spot a case of dreaded faggot wrist from a mile off... it was THE biggest issue we faced when transitioning cops from revolvers to semi-autos. Neither of our pals was displaying the symptoms. Yes, they have small hands. But so do I. Gripping a pistol properly is all about TECHNIQUE, provided one has enough basic strength. Hand size really has nothing to do with making the gun 'run' (there I go, getting all tactical and **** :D ), although it does play a large part in a given shooter's potential for accuracy. At any rate, I'm convinced that whatever happened- or DIDN'T happen, as the case may be- was mechanical in nature.

Oh, I'm not chalking up the entire issue to limp wristing. It's definitely mechanical, brought on by several things going wrong at once, which is why it is an intermittent problem even in guns that experience it. I'm just trying to figure out why it's never happened to me in ~1200rds, yet presented itself twice with other people shooting the pistol. Logically speaking, the common denominator is small hands. Even IF it only occured during limp wristing it's no less of an issue. As we all know during a defensive situation there's about a .001% chance you'll obtain a full firing grip. So no excuses there, and I consider myself lucky the problem presented itself on a range and not a back alley.

Top Bottom