Salvaging...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I know what the typical scrapper looks like that does it for a living. My guy did not fit that picture.

Seems like there's not a sentimental one of you in the bunch. For some people it's not just "stuff", it's memories. I think a little tact goes a long way in a situation like this.

Sentimental, sympathetic and realistic. How you feel wont change the reality of what has to be done. I'm sure many have been at that place one time or another. I'm just saying dont let it embitter you.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I know what the typical scrapper looks like that does it for a living. My guy did not fit that picture.

Seems like there's not a sentimental one of you in the bunch. For some people it's not just "stuff", it's memories. I think a little tact goes a long way in a situation like this.

Please don't let it get to you bro find time to take a break. Like my wife says as long as the family is still together everything else is just "stuff".

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

If it's stuff, put it by the road and don't care what happens to it.
    If it's memories, don't put it by the road.

But I'm more of a pragmatic realist.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Read a story a while back about a "salvage" type of guy who spotted what appeared to be a new vacuum cleaner sitting by the curb. Picked it up, took it home, cleaned out the bag which was packed solid, worked fine. Felt bad about the situation, took it back where he got it and told the people the only reason it wouldn't work was that the bag was full. They said" bag? What bag? GW

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    He's not stealing the stuff , when you put it on the curb it's not a crime to pick it up.
    I say if he can do something with it , then it's less stuff going into a landfill.
    As long as he doesn't make a mess and throw other stuff all over the street curbside , I say let him haul it away.
    The flooded stuff is ruined and has no value , sentimental or otherwise.....only a hoarder would want to keep it .

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Zachary PD posted to their Facebook that they would take action against anyone going through the piles. Guess there must be something they can do about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Once it hits the curb in most places it is considered public property.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Zachary PD posted to their Facebook that they would take action against anyone going through the piles. Guess there must be something they can do about it.

Unless there is some sort of city ordinance, if it's out at the curb, it's trash.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Those are my sentiments, but arguing on Facebook is about 10,000,000 times dumber than arguing on a forum, so I just spectate.

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    After Katrina, I know of some people that started clearing the house of furniture just to get it out of the way to get the carpet and sheet rock removed. They had intended to have someone look at the furniture to see what was salvageable. Some of the furniture disappeared. I'm Ok with people taking stuff clearly on the street for pickup. But taking stuff from the front yard is looting. In case of any doubt, ASK.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    I got flooded in Hurricane Ike, and the wife was the second hurricane!! Two new recliners and a new hybrid stove....all less then a month old...went out by the road as did a ton of stuff....cleared out down to the studs. The pickers were quick and what they didn't get the commercial trash guys got.
    I made a late run through the neighborhood, saw a couple of gensets out by the road. Stopped talked to the owners and asked if I could see if they were fixable and if I could fix them, I would return them. Saw it as my way of helping my neighbors....picked up two and returned two working gensets! I had mine in my truck and they were high and dry!

Really sorry to hear of the flooding in my old stomping grounds, wish all affected a safe recovery!

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Sentimental, sympathetic and realistic. How you feel wont change the reality of what has to be done. I'm sure many have been at that place one time or another. I'm just saying dont let it embitter you.

Please don't let it get to you bro find time to take a break. Like my wife says as long as the family is still together everything else is just "stuff".

Thanks guys, I'm over it. I had to take a step back for a second and clear my head. After talking to my buddy, and I quote: "Let the scoundrels be scoundrels, Were you going to take it to the dump? Let them make a buck off it." I feel differently about it now. They do provide a needed service. Took a much needed break yesterday, and will be back at it again today.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Thanks guys, I'm over it. I had to take a step back for a second and clear my head. After talking to my buddy, and I quote: "Let the scoundrels be scoundrels, Were you going to take it to the dump? Let them make a buck off it." I feel differently about it now. They do provide a needed service. Took a much needed break yesterday, and will be back at it again today.

I've learned in past floods/storms it's easy to get overwhelmed and see things as more than they are. Taking time for yourself really helps. For Katrina I got to a point the news wasn't allowed on in my house because it would just bring everyone down.

The thing he said about "Let the scoundrels be scoundrels" makes me laugh because it makes me think about those birds that eat the dead stuff off the roads. My wife says those birds are nasty and I say they should be the state bird because without them could you imagine what the roads would look/smell like?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    The thing he said about "Let the scoundrels be scoundrels" makes me laugh because it makes me think about those birds that eat the dead stuff off the roads. My wife says those birds are nasty and I say they should be the state bird because without them could you imagine what the roads would look/smell like?

I had the same mental image of buzzards as well. This is the first time I've seen a historic flooding event for my own eyes on my own doorstep. It's A LOT to take in and process.

Top Bottom