Savage Precision Carbine, 700 SPS Tactical

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turkish

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've been wanting a bolt-action .308 lately and find myself drawn to the compact, tactical styles of the Savage Precision Carbine and Rem 700 SPS Tactical. Both have 20" heavy barrels. I really like idea of the shorter barrel. I think both guns come with pillar bedding of some sort in the stock.

Any first hand feedback on these guns? Would be used for deer hunting and fun at the range (less than 300 yards). All things equal, I like the Savage a bit better, but it is $100+ higher priced.

sav_18605S.jpg

700SPS_Tac_silo-prod.ashx

Last edited:

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    No experience with either but I have shot similar rifles. Both will serve you well. I find if you like to tinker and change out stocks/triggers, go with remington. If you plan on just slapping on a scope and going with it, go savage. With a bedded stock and accutrigger, it's hard to change for the better in the savage. I'm partial to remington because i'm a tinkerer so good luck. And update us!

turkish

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No experience with either but I have shot similar rifles. Both will serve you well. I find if you like to tinker and change out stocks/triggers, go with remington. If you plan on just slapping on a scope and going with it, go savage. With a bedded stock and accutrigger, it's hard to change for the better in the savage. I'm partial to remington because i'm a tinkerer so good luck. And update us!

Good points with the aftermarket comparison. I am NOT a tinkerer when it comes to guns (little confidence in my ability to not make things worse). +1 for the Savage. Thx.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    I have the 700 SPS tac AAC SD. I bought it knowing I was going to change the stock and run a can on it. So it made better sense to get that one. The gun shoots lights out with the changes I have made. But a friend bought the Savage and out of the box it is a better shooter with a better trigger. If you do not plan to do anything like change the stock or make any other mods, I would vote the Savage.

Good Luck

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I think the savage is easier to tinker with. You can do a barrel/caliber swap in your garage with some headspace guages. More parts are becoming available for the savage rifles and they shoot good out of the box.

I still like my remington though, and with all the aftermarket parts available for them it makes it an obvious choice.

That being said, Remington has a 20" 5R available with a threaded barrel from one of their distributors, I would buy that if I was right handed.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    You are correct with the barrel swap. I was just referring to aftermarket parts like stock options, triggers, receivers, etc. The barrel swap for a savage is easy peasy but as for options as the ones I've listed, there are a LOT more options for the remington.

But either one would definitely serve the purpose. I think the more difficult choice would be scope options. Hehe.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Duplex is garbage. You cannot do anything but hold crosshairs. Buy a reticle that you can actually use. All reticles have a center like a duplex but if it has graduations then you can use those graduations for hold overs or knowing how much adjustment you need to make based on the graduations.

See the stickie in the lights and optics section for further explanations of how to USE the reticle. http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...ing-and-understanding-Tactical-Style-Reticles

And what ever you do DO NOT get a Mil based reticle with MOA turrets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom