Scope for my deer rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    A scope with a 50 mm objective lense will gather more light and help you see better in low light conditions when compared to a scope with a 32 mm objective lense. I don't side with the illuminated reticle idea. In low light conditions, if a light is shined at your eye, what happens? Your iris closes and admits less light. You will see the crosshair better but your clarity of the target diminishes. Food for thought.

I’m a big Burris fan…. Hard to beat for
    The Money so is Riton! Vortex is absolute trash! Js
    Without starting a flame war (hopefully), please let me know why you think Vortex is trash. I am hoping to educate myself on this forum. Thanks.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Vortex has the great warranty service, which I have used and can vouch for.

Vortex will pack more features into a scope than any other company at a price point. They focus on features more than glass quality. On the low end, the Vortex Crossfire II/Sonora are as good as any $99 scopes out there. On the high end, the Vortex Razor HD's are very good for the money as well. It's all their lineup in the middle (Diamondback, Strike Eagle, Venom, Viper) that is surpassed by others at their price points.

If you want all the bells and whistles, they may be for you. If glass quality is your #1 priority, there are better options out there.

gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    Vortex has the great warranty service, which I have used and can vouch for.

Vortex will pack more features into a scope than any other company at a price point. They focus on features more than glass quality. On the low end, the Vortex Crossfire II/Sonora are as good as any $99 scopes out there. On the high end, the Vortex Razor HD's are very good for the money as well. It's all their lineup in the middle (Diamondback, Strike Eagle, Venom, Viper) that is surpassed by others at their price points.

If you want all the bells and whistles, they may be for you. If glass quality is your #1 priority, there are better options out there.
    Thanks for the thorough response. You mentioned better options. Can you specify those brands and models?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    In your price range

Burris Fullfield IV and Leupold VX-Freedom. They both come in different magnifications and reticles. Some illuminated, some not. I prefer bigger objectives for more light and field of view, and I like illumination. They both add weight though, which is also something to think about.

I also think the Trijicon Huron 3-9x40mm for $299 and Europtic right now is a blazing deal. Good glass, light, and rugged. No illumination. Basic deer hunting scope with everything you need for LA/MS woods hunting

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    There is a lot of information to process when trying to understand the brightness of the image you will see when using a rifle scope in low light conditions. The long and short of it is that the larger your objective lens is the better you will see in low light, but that value decreases the higher the scope magnification is. Do a search on "exit pupil" and you will gain an explanation of the factors. Higher quality optics will also perform better because of lens quality and coatings, but when all else is equal, the larger the objective lens is, the better.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Aloot of good advice but I stick with the oldie but goodie Leupold because of the flip ups that thread onto the scope. I hate those slip on style ones.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    The last several years I have been more focused on weight than before, taking more of a minimalist approach. Rings/bases and optics are the perfect place to address weight, so maybe consider that in your search as well.

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    A 30mm tube with a 50mm objective lens is a must for low light.

A 30MM tube doesn't transfer light any better than a 1 inch. https://tractoptics.com/blog/30mm-versus-1-inch-scope-tubes/#:~:text=A common misconception is that,gathering ability of the optic. The primary advantage is greater range of adjustment.

A 3-9x40 scope can deliver all of the light that the human eye can process. What's more important than objective size is the quality of the lens and quality of multi-coatings.

I have come to appreciate an illuminated reticle in the first and last few moments of shooting light. A good one that is. One that can be dimmed to the point that it doesn't cause washout. These have become my favorite scopes. No problem getting me to last legal shooting time on an overcast evening under the canopy.

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    A 30MM tube doesn't transfer light any better than a 1 inch. https://tractoptics.com/blog/30mm-versus-1-inch-scope-tubes/#:~:text=A common misconception is that,gathering ability of the optic. The primary advantage is greater range of adjustment.

A 3-9x40 scope can deliver all of the light that the human eye can process. What's more important than objective size is the quality of the lens and quality of multi-coatings.

I have come to appreciate an illuminated reticle in the first and last few moments of shooting light. A good one that is. One that can be dimmed to the point that it doesn't cause washout. These have become my favorite scopes. No problem getting me to last legal shooting time on an overcast evening under the canopy.
    This is true. Bigger tube allows bigger erector and more travel. Most confuse this because bigger tubes scopes tend to have larger objectives and vice vera but a 1 inch tube with 50mm will do better with light than 30mm tube with a 44mm bell everything else being equal like glass and coatings. Don’t forget about field of view as well

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Ill take my 4-12x50 vortex crossfire over even the newer lower end 40mm leupoldsfor early and late evening hunts. The crossfire can be had for $200 and with 50mm objective beats out every 40mm ive looked through at last light. For my every day hunting rifles i have leupold vx3 4.5-14x50 LR scopes on them. For my daughters who dont hunt as much i have the vortex. I also have 3 or 4 40mm leupolds both rifleman and vx1s sitting in the safe that will eventually make their way onto "fun" guns that i wont be hunting deer with. The larger objective makes such a big difference. Hell i have a couple old simmons blazer 3-9x50s that have done suprisingly well one lived on an old black powder rifle for a number of years without issue. I also have 1 on a .22 that i use with a flashlight to dispatch varmints in the yard with.

Edit to add i have the crossfires on 7mm-08 rifles. Cant attest to how they would do on a magnum. Im currently considering a leupold vx freedom 4-12x50 for my 35whelen. Dont want to spend vx3 money for a gun ill probably only use 2 weeks out of the year.

John913

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2022
    Covington
    Make sure you get a reputable brand with a good warranty that they will stand behind. I’d recommend you find something with a 30mm tube instead of 1inch, this will give you better visibility in low light conditions. Illumination helps, but it isn’t a must have, people have been killing deer for years without it. Make sure you pair it with some good rings.

Stretch that budget to 6-700 and you can get a good optic that will give you a lifetime of durability and repeatability.

Top Bottom