self defense shooting/missing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Not sure if this has been asked lately, but how does the state/city prosecute a person who may be involved in a self-defense shooting in which one or more of the rounds missed/overpenetrated and hit someone who wasn't the target? Also, what about discharging a weapon in public?

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    if you are having doubts about your abilities to hit your target you need more range time and maybe you need to hook up with one or more of our boards fine instructors who can work with you and put you in a stress shooting situation to see how you do.

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the responses and links. Maybe I'll have to set up a training one of these days. But I'm still concerned about penetration. I shoot .40.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    Eh, some shots are going to miss or overpenetrate. On a dynamic moving target occasionally it is there then it isn't between the time your brain sends the signal to press and the bullet arrives at the desired location.

You pull the trigger if it is your only option and hopefully the desired result it the outcome.

no argument there, especially with over penetration, but some people don't have the skills necessary to carry and need to be worked with. they later ask questions when they finally realize their lack of proficiency and the possibility of a negative outcome. i'm not accussing this writer of that but just answering it as a possibility. but in most situations, you should be able to make contact since if you have to use you fire arm it will probably be at very close range.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Not sure if this has been asked lately, but how does the state/city prosecute a person who may be involved in a self-defense shooting in which one or more of the rounds missed/overpenetrated and hit someone who wasn't the target? Also, what about discharging a weapon in public?

Wrongful death suit. Keep your liability umbrella policy current.

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    i'm not accussing this writer of that but just answering it as a possibility. but in most situations, you should be able to make contact since if you have to use you fire arm it will probably be at very close range.

I feel pretty good at a defense distance on a straight line but with the closeness I still worry about overpenetration.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    I feel pretty good at a defense distance on a straight line but with the closeness I still worry about overpenetration.

have you ever practiced under any stress? while moving? moving target?

over penetration does happen and it is one of the things i'm sure everyone thinks about when carrying.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    have you ever practiced under any stress? while moving? moving target?

over penetration does happen and it is one of the things i'm sure everyone thinks about when carrying.

Not to sound like an a$$, but to sound like one. Unless you plan on confronting armed gelatin blobs that do not move, you need training...

No if, and's or but's, you need training. There is no type of bad guy that will engage you and just sit there and stay in front of you and wait for you to shoot him. Over-penetration should NOT even be in your thought process right now...

Saftman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Lafayette, La.
    Probably like the wake from your boat. You are responsible for the damage it causes. It is probably safe to say that you are responsible for the bullet you send down range.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Probably like the wake from your boat. You are responsible for the damage it causes. It is probably safe to say that you are responsible for the bullet you send down range.

If things were right and fair, it would be the BG causing the waves, so he should be held responsible for any collateral damage.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    "Be sure of your target and what is beyond it"

Your life might be in danger... but you have a responsibility. Sometimes it can't be avoided.

Best way that I've found to practice shooting under stress is hunting hogs on the ground. A lot of times I'm with a friend and we might be separated, so it's important to be aware of where others are before you pull the trigger.

I also feel that duck hunting has taught me to be conservative when pulling the trigger. Ducks come in pretty fast sometimes and you don't have a lot of time to make a decision... but a lot of times you have to make a split second bird identification before you shoot.

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    along with the other post.

if you are fighting for your life and are not grossly nelegent, you probably will not be found guilty of wrong doing in criminal court.

you will be taken to civil court by the family's of the collateral damage and a judgment found against you.

We are the good guys we have to play by rules like; Knowing what is in front and behind our targets, we are responsible every round that we send down range. the bad guys have an advantage; they have no rules. this is the way of the world, be a good guy and be hindered and scrutinized by the rules of the very society we are protecting or be a bad guy.

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Thanks everybody. I have chosen to be a good guy and follow the rules, therefore I'll take responsibility for my actions/inactions and bullets. Hopefully, I won't have to ever worry about this though. When I find time and money, i'll get some training in.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks everybody. I have chosen to be a good guy and follow the rules, therefore I'll take responsibility for my actions/inactions and bullets. Hopefully, I won't have to ever worry about this though. When I find time and money, i'll get some training in.

It's on you to train, but things don't always go according to plan in these situations. S*** happens. If you've done your part, you don't have to blame yourself.

RNshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Slidell, LA
    I'm in security licensed to carry a .38. I have spoken about self defense in the home here on another post.

Using a firearm is lethal force and there is a very, very fine legal line when you are justified to use it- you being in immediate danger of harm (preferably in your home) by the perp. and ideally, (sort-to-speak) brandishing a lethal weapon of his/her own toward you while in your home. Never ever can you use lethal force to defend property of any kind.

CCW requires training, including ammo selection, to have a gun outside the home for, again, self defense to protect life only; open carry is the same thing with more lax requirements of training, depending on local.

You will need an attorney sooner or later. An innocent person did get shot and hopefully not very badly. He/she has a legal right to receive compensation for being shot. Think about it. If it was you that got shot, wouldn't you want to be compensated?

Top Bottom