Shotgun for home defense?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I prefer my colt 45acp over the shotgun only because there will be less chance of hitting my dog. Im sure she will be all over bad guys ass before I get my pistol out. As for the wife its 12ga all the way. Don't know if she would think to aim in a panic situation.

For yours your dogs and her sake I hope she does aim .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
    Lol, I’m thinking if it’s her turn he and the dog are already done.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I hate the idea of me using a shotgun for defensive purposes. Low capacity, pumping it, slow follow up shot and high recoil are why. And yes, most of those are due to my lack of practice.

Fun fact, chokes can greatly tighten the pattern of even short barrels. I got my 14" barrel to pattern tighter than our old model 12 with full choke.

riverrat66

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2016
    The hills of St Helena parish
    Lol, I’m thinking if it’s her turn he and the dog are already done.
    Im a trucker. Im gone a lot. My wife shoots with me but I have told her. If somebody is breaking in the house its not me. I have a key. Put one round thru the wall and wait. 00buck will get the bad guy thru the wall. If they stiil try to get in you have to take the bastard out. We can deal with the legal issues later. I would rather lose everything before I lose her. Shes a great shooter on the range but I think she would just do a magdump if she gets confronted with a home invasion. So scattergun is the right fit for her.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I hate the idea of me using a shotgun for defensive purposes. Low capacity, pumping it, slow follow up shot and high recoil are why. And yes, most of those are due to my lack of practice.

Fun fact, chokes can greatly tighten the pattern of even short barrels. I got my 14" barrel to pattern tighter than our old model 12 with full choke.
    Yeah, prolly shouldn’t attempt the 12 bore for home protection.

Matt B

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Covington, LA
    If someone charges me with a knife in my bedroom my dog is not going to be happy with them. I'll have a little time to react. Sheet rock and plywood don't stop bullets too well, so if I use them I may save my own life but take down a family member elsewhere in the house by accident - or my neighbor. Pellets are probably going to be less than deadly once they go through a wall. Just something to consider.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If someone charges me with a knife in my bedroom my dog is not going to be happy with them. I'll have a little time to react. Sheet rock and plywood don't stop bullets too well, so if I use them I may save my own life but take down a family member elsewhere in the house by accident - or my neighbor. Pellets are probably going to be less than deadly once they go through a wall. Just something to consider.

Are you talking about buckshot pellets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chasu

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Berwick, LA
    I like the studies and tests done on 20ga #3 buckshot for home defense, but I also like the 9mm with 33 rounds of 147gr HP. So much to think about. My go-to is a 18" 20ga 870 loaded with 2 3/4 #3 buckshot.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I like the studies and tests done on 20ga #3 buckshot for home defense, but I also like the 9mm with 33 rounds of 147gr HP. So much to think about. My go-to is a 18" 20ga 870 loaded with 2 3/4 #3 buckshot.
    20ga 3 buck is an outstanding load for home defense. For the 12ga indoors I prefer 4 buck. I believe smaller shot may have a place in the home but 4 buck is not bird shot. Again, shooting a lot of loads at in home distances is how I’ve formed my beliefs on how my choices will perform. Nothing like shooting at a couple of sheetrock panels to see what does what. Same with patterning each load at different distances. You can read opinions and supposed findings for days or gather your own data and feel confident in what you choose. Doing your own homework rather than listening to Internet personalities is a win win. Whatever anyone decides to rely on for home defense, there’s no replacement for training with that choice.
    Letting anyone else make that choice for you will not come with a guarantee. I know that there are still folks that will tell you a shotgun for home defense is a bad idea. Unless a person is physically unable to effectively wield a shotgun, I disagree.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    20ga 3 buck is an outstanding load for home defense. For the 12ga indoors I prefer 4 buck. I believe smaller shot may have a place in the home but 4 buck is not bird shot. Again, shooting a lot of loads at in home distances is how I’ve formed my beliefs on how my choices will perform. Nothing like shooting at a couple of sheetrock panels to see what does what. Same with patterning each load at different distances. You can read opinions and supposed findings for days or gather your own data and feel confident in what you choose. Doing your own homework rather than listening to Internet personalities is a win win. Whatever anyone decides to rely on for home defense, there’s no replacement for training with that choice.
    Letting anyone else make that choice for you will not come with a guarantee. I know that there are still folks that will tell you a shotgun for home defense is a bad idea. Unless a person is physically unable to effectively wield a shotgun, I disagree.

Did you find buckshot lethal after going through the Sheetrock? I’m of the opinion with its shape and weight it’s going to be very lethal on the other side

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Did you find buckshot lethal after going through the Sheetrock? I’m of the opinion with its shape and weight it’s going to be very lethal on the other side

I used to have pics of all this. iPhone 3GS that’s been retired for some years. Anyway I bought a standard sheet of American gypsum board and halved it. Used three 2x4’s as studs to fasten two sides of a faux 4ftx4ft wall and mounted it upright with two 2x4 stakes driven in. I sectioned off 8 spots using painters tape to quad off each side of the center stud. I only used a 12ga shotgun cyl bore 18.5 inch barrel with 4 different loads. My Backstop was a free sheet of 3/4 inch ply from a concrete job that was hard as hell. I shot at 25 and 60 feet.
    I found that 00 buck blew right through even at 60 feet. Both sides. A few stuck in the plywood but most went through. The spread was about 8 inches at 60 feet, less than 3 at 25. I would consider 00 to be lethal through walls.
    The #4 buck spread a little better at 25 feet and mostly penetrated both sides. Several shot were visible in the plywood, although none passed through. At 60 feet there was a significant spread and many pellets penetrated both sides with none embedded in the plywood.
    4 shot stayed together at 25 feet and most penetrated both sides but did not stay in the plywood. At 60 feet it did not penetrate the other side of the wall. 6 shot at 25 feet spread about a foot and a few pellets flew through but bounced off the ply. At 60 none penetrated both sides.
    These were my results. I didn’t use any special loads. No flight control, no low recoil, no Rambo special. Just run of the mill 2.75 inch federal and Winchester game loads. I’m sure I could search YouTube and find something similar, but I did this so I could know first hand how these loads would perform for me in my home. My findings tell me that 00 buck will penetrate about as well as 9mm, 4 buck does penetrate but I believe would be less than lethal. I believe 4 shot is not a bad choice at all inside a home but range would be limited. 6 shot from a 18.5 inch barrel might make for a good rabbit gun on those foot flushed bunnies.
    My favorite outdoor buckshot load is 000. I’ve used it on drives for years and it’s brought down many deer and pigs for me.
    My bottom line, a standard 2 3/4 inch 12ga #4 buck has 24 pellets of .24 cal round ball coming to a total weight of 497gr of lead moving at 1200-1300 fps and delivering about 1600 ft lbs of energy with a spread of 2-10 inches inside the home. My bedside shotty stays full of #4 buck.

Results may vary! Especially if you use that China white!

Last edited:

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs

Paul Harrell did some test a while back with several different calibers.

It looks like you still get pass throughs even with 2 walls.

Shotgun with buck starts right at 15:00
    https://youtu.be/Qw8IiRgSMFQ

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    That’s what I figured. Thanks for the info and links. I bet Paul Harrell is a blast at parties LOL

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If it won't go through dry wall, will it go through the bad guy?

I hope that my 20ga 18.5" Cyl Bore with 2 3/4 #4 Buck will go through drywall. Geesh, It's like you guys never had to spackle a wall.

I'm more worried about cleaning up the mess.

Control the scenario. It's your house.

Also, It's generally a bad Idea to fire a firearm at your child's bedroom while they are in it. Just a thought.

I don't have children, so I'm not an authority on that.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If it won't go through dry wall, will it go through the bad guy?

I hope that my 20ga 18.5" Cyl Bore with 2 3/4 #4 Buck will go through drywall. Geesh, It's like you guys never had to spackle a wall.

I'm more worried about cleaning up the mess.

Control the scenario. It's your house.

Also, It's generally a bad Idea to fire a firearm at your child's bedroom while they are in it. Just a thought.

I don't have children, so I'm not an authority on that.
    Yeah, 4 buck will sail through a wall. And so will a .22, .32ACP, etc.
    I’m amazed at the number of people that think inside the confines of a home they’ll actually see some degree of spread from a shotgun with any type of barrel and any size shot. Considering that the wad doesn’t even separate from the payload til about 20 feet out, an attacker across a room will, in effect, be playing catch with a 1oz slug. Truthfully, 00 buck is not significantly more or less penetrating than a 9mm HP in most circumstances due to the lack of weight compared to a bullet.
    Hitting center mass on the bad guy I’d say 4 buck will mostly disperse in the chest cavity. And yes, there will be a mess.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    00, #4, 20 ga, 12 ga, .22, .32ACP, 9mm, 40, 45, whatever... Rule #4 doesn't change.

There is a lot of bad info out there in regards to terminal ballistics. It's why LEA's do independent testing.

I like Federal LE Tactical Flite Control 00 Buck and it's recommended by a lot of actual experts in the shotgun world. I don't have any physical limitations that would warrant a smaller gauge or lesser than 00 buck.

50534936766_cca0966d97_b.jpg

50534211273_e15815bcbe_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Polizzi
    Top Bottom