Should medical marijuana patients be disqualified for a CHP?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Medical Marijuana Users Fight For Gun Rights

Willis is not only packing a concealed handgun permit in her wallet, she also has a medical marijuana card. That combination has led the local sheriff to try to take her gun permit away.

She is part of what is considered the first major court case in the country to consider whether guns and marijuana can legally mix. The sheriffs of Washington and Jackson counties say no. But Willis and three co-plaintiffs have won in state court twice, with the state's rights to regulate concealed weapons trumping federal gun control law in each decision.

4_Pistols_and_Pot.sff_custom.jpg
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=135105875

:)

Last edited:

GWB

dumb? you better be tough
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Fleming Island, FL
    I don't think you should be intoxicated, and carrying a firearm. But if it is concidered "medical" and they start pulling CHP's for it, that might open up alot of doors for gun control nuts to try to cancel alot of permits. anyone taking a preciption med with a "don't operate heavy machinery" type label on it would be a potential target for the "gun grabbers". .02

scottjcraig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Polk
    While I am not a fan of pot, it should be treated like alcohol, if intoxicated (or stoned) while carrying the hammer should be borught down. The only problem is there isn't a way of measuring the level of impairment with marijuana so it would either have to be a general ban with pot or a judgment call for leos and that is a whole other issue. How are permitees fined or punished if they take to many prescribed narcotics such as oxycotin? I am not a permit holder so I really don't know.

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    as stated in article..........."A person who uses medical cannabis should not have to give up their fundamental rights as enumerated by the Constitution"

But I applaud her resolve to OC if she ultimately loses.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    No it shouldn't disqualify you. If your high on pot and stumbling around trying find what cloud level you want with a gun on your hip, THEN you should be disarmed temporarily and taken home or to jail to sleep it off. Hold people accountable for what they are doing, not for what they might do.

People have a RIGHT to defend themselves. They shouldn't even have to get a CHP

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    If alcohol is legal,,,and medical marijuana is legal,,,then they need to be treated the same. Furthermore, alcohol is KNOWN to cause much more aggressive behavior than marijuana causes.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    regulate it like alcohol, make it legal, tax the heck out of it, stop criminalizing people, and save tax payers money by discontinuing The War on Drugs in pursuit of it... i dont smoke because it makes you stupid and i dont have time to waste by being high... that being said, the people that smoke dope will continue to smoke regardless if its legal or not..

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If alcohol is legal,,,and medical marijuana is legal,,,then they need to be treated the same. Furthermore, alcohol is KNOWN to cause much more aggressive behavior than marijuana causes.

The problem is alcohol is black and white. Their are scientific limits to what you can drink, and cut and dry impairment tests. How do you know define when someone is too stoned? Regardless of why you use marijuana (recreationally or medically), the effects are the same. Just because someone has cancer or whatever doesn't mean weed won't get them high.

It's definitely a tricky situation. I could personally convince myself of going either way with my opinion. Same with prescription pain killers and other mood altering pharmaceuticals.

The only thing I CAN say with any certainty is...that lady needs a bigger gun.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    The problem is alcohol is black and white. Their are scientific limits to what you can drink, and cut and dry impairment tests. How do you know define when someone is too stoned? Regardless of why you use marijuana (recreationally or medically), the effects are the same. Just because someone has cancer or whatever doesn't mean weed won't get them high.

It's definitely a tricky situation. I could personally convince myself of going either way with my opinion. Same with prescription pain killers and other mood altering pharmaceuticals.

:mamoru: I was going to comment on the P22, but at least if she's stoned, she won't hurt anybody :squint:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I can't support that statement. People metabolize alcohol differently, and it's based on many variables. 6 glasses of wine in you may put you down for the count, 6 glasses in me, means I need to open another bottle. Though both of us may register the same BAL?!? Just saying.

And I would be surprised if similar THC levels in blood would show the definitive degrees of highness in varying subjects as well.

That is why there will always be debate on this type of subject.

You are spot on with regard to her weapon however.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    I say no.
    If you are doin' drugs, illegally or legally makes no difference.
    You should'nt be around firearms....but then I ain't a pothead so whadda I know.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I can't support that statement. People metabolize alcohol differently, and it's based on many variables. 6 glasses of wine in you may put you down for the count, 6 glasses in me, means I need to open another bottle. Though both of us may register the same BAL?!? Just saying.

And I would be surprised if similar THC levels in blood would show the definitive degrees of highness in varying subjects as well.

That is why there will always be debate on this type of subject.

You are spot on with regard to her weapon however.

I agree blood levels don't necessarily indicate level of intoxication. Point is there is still a black and white "if your BAC is _____ you cannot _____. There's no controls in place regarding marijuana with which they can make any kind of similar determination. Do you lose your right to carry just for being prescribed? Or only while under the influence? How will they determine just how under the influence you are?

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    so you hurt your foot and the doctor prescribes painkillers

if someone breaks into your home, you should just let the intruder kill you and your family because you're on painkillers?

the same goes if you're at a convenience store and someone tries to rob it and puts your life in danger. you're on medication so your judgement might be impaired same as if you were on medical marijuana. do you still not get the right to defend yourself?

Yeah, there you go, great analogies. :rolleyes:
    It isn't about "right's", it is about being impaired.
    The same as being drunk behind the wheel.
    Not only is it illegal, it's not a good idea.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    How about this- you aren't denied your permit because you're >= 21, just because you now have the right to drink. In the same respect, should you be denied your permit just because with that card, you have the right to smoke weed?

I've never tried the stuff, but my understanding is that pot just makes you want to chill. I doubt someone who's high would even feel like using a weapon. But with impaired judgment/intoxication, no, they shouldn't be carrying. This is an interesting test case.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I agree blood levels don't necessarily indicate level of intoxication. Point is there is still a black and white "if your BAC is _____ you cannot _____. There's no controls in place regarding marijuana with which they can make any kind of similar determination. Do you lose your right to carry just for being prescribed? Or only while under the influence? How will they determine just how under the influence you are?

You really have the same issues with alcohol. The only way my blood alcohol level is getting checked is if I'm stopped for DUI. Or if I shoot someone and appear intoxicated, maybe they can do bloodwork. I imagine it's the same for any other narcotic.

I've got a permit, and I occasionally drink; but I have to self-police when I drink. I am reluctant to drink at all while carrying, but I may have one glass of wine, slowly, with dinner. Much more often it's nothing at all.

The bottom line for me is that the behavior should be the key. I shouldn't be denied a permit because I occasionally drink, or occasionally use prescription meds. Medical marijuana is just another prescription med.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

That is my argument. Those BAL may be the same, and the law may be black and white, but you and I could have dramatically different response times, operate better or worse than me in various sobriety tests, shoot better or worse in controlled experiments, etc..

Impairment is impairment, but not all impaired are impaired equally.

The analogy used by Bosco is spot on. And I don't want to seem like I was cheerleading for the alcohol industry earlier, but if we want to be honest, alcohol is far more stupefying than some of the prescription meds out there, and marijuana doesn't even register next to those two. And just because someone is sitting home drinking like a fish, doesn't mean they lose their right to have guns in their homes, on their kitchen tables, strapped to their bellies, etc.

But the question is should they lose the eligibility for CHP if they use medical maryjane? And I will slide my vote to, no!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom