Sig P320 Recall? Sig update.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Today I asked one of the larger gunsmiths in the state about it and he said the issue arose when Dallas PD read in the manual that it may be fired if dropped. It doesn't look like an incident happened that caused their concern. Also I doubt it would have made it through the Army's trials, or even out of the factory, with this issue. Obviously I have a slight bias but I have never had any issues with mine, nor has anyone else I've met at my range as far as functionality goes. I did have an optics issue but sig fixed it.

I am going to play devils advocate here. How many times have you or any one else dropped it and when it was dropped, has it discharged when dropped and how many times has it not discharged when it was dropped? The OP is referring to drop issues on this thread.

SigSour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2017
    Baton Rouge
    That is the whole point ,if the gov trials would have been completed ,they would have known.That is what glock was squawking about and you cant blame them.

To let a company with any wording such as that in their manual should never ,ever get any contract withany gov agency,especially our guys on the front line.Oh sorry,I dropped my weapon due to the enemy firing at me and I just so happened to be on concrete and the firearm went off and killed my best buddy next tome on the line.Yea..that will look good on the morning yahoo page.

Well the whole government tirals thing, don't even get me started. That's how the pentagon works. Look how we ended up with the UCP pattern uniforms for millions of dollars and they never completed trials, then basically went back to the BDU pattern just with a little different shade.

I want to see a legitimate test of this issue and wether it's a real problem or just something someone at the PD read about and freaked out. I'm sure it won't be long before a real test is conducted and shown to the public. The wording may be something the attorneys made them put in there.

If you remove the sear safety spring when disassembling the sear it would fire if dropped. And that's really easy to lose. I lost mine and spent an hour on the floor of the FRC cleaning room with a magnet and a flashlight. Then it could be an issue.

SigSour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2017
    Baton Rouge
    I am going to play devils advocate here. How many times have you or any one else dropped it and when it was dropped, has it discharged when dropped and how many times has it not discharged when it was dropped? The OP is referring to drop issues on this thread.

Yeah I see your point. I'll volunteer the range for testing if someone volunteers their firearm. Let's get a BS sponsored test going. I'll even supply the ammo.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Well the whole government tirals thing, don't even get me started. That's how the pentagon works. Look how we ended up with the UCP pattern uniforms for millions of dollars and they never completed trials, then basically went back to the BDU pattern just with a little different shade.

I want to see a legitimate test of this issue and wether it's a real problem or just something someone at the PD read about and freaked out. I'm sure it won't be long before a real test is conducted and shown to the public. The wording may be something the attorneys made them put in there.

If you remove the sear safety spring when disassembling the sear it would fire if dropped. And that's really easy to lose. I lost mine and spent an hour on the floor of the FRC cleaning room with a magnet and a flashlight. Then it could be an issue.

I suggest you contact the government or sig itself for any questions you may have about the dependability of this firearm.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA

This is something I would like to see as well. Still, it strikes me as odd that even if this wasn't as big of an issue as I think, why would they put it in the manual that it might fire if dropped? Or from how high? Hip height? Head? Ceiling? Off a bridge? Hell I've seen video of other modern pistols thrown from roof tops, touting that they are 100% incapable of firing on impact. It kind of seems to be admitting they have an inferior design. Not a good selling point these days, IMO.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

SigSour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2017
    Baton Rouge
    I suggest you contact the government or sig itself for any questions you may have about the dependability of this firearm.

I've never had issues with mine. My rx has 4000 rounds through it with no issues other than the optic and my compact has 1000 with no issues. But I don't torture test it I just shoot it and clean it. Not the best example I guess. Still a reliable firearm in my book.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I've never had issues with mine. My rx has 4000 rounds through it with no issues other than the optic and my compact has 1000 with no issues. But I don't torture test it I just shoot it and clean it. Not the best example I guess. Still a reliable firearm in my book.

If that is so then what is your beef with this thread? You have not had any issues with it but yet others have. What is your point?

SigSour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2017
    Baton Rouge
    If that is so then what is your beef with this thread? You have not had any issues with it but yet others have. What is your point?

No beef at all. I'm just interested in the discussion about whether this is a legitimate problem that would potentially cause me to find a new favorite firearm and point customers in a different direction, or misinformation leaked from a police department because someone read something an attorney put in a manual to CYA. I'm always trying to promote healthy discussion between firearms enthusiasts and gain new information.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Sig has now revised the wording in the new pistol handbook. You can go to the Sig Pistol website and read the revised version.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    2c79a343455e894a89923fb157c54e96.jpg

Screenshot from page 25 of the PDF owners manual for the P320. I guess this is the most recent version?

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    2c79a343455e894a89923fb157c54e96.jpg

Screenshot from page 25 of the PDF owners manual for the P320. I guess this is the most recent version?

Wow... I literally downloaded the manual yesterday and took that clipping for my post... which means they changed it shortly thereafter! That's crazy.

Here is the manual I downloaded yesterday... P320 Manual

Though, the new manual says "X SERIES"... whatever that is.

Last edited:

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Wow... I literally downloaded the manual yesterday and took that clipping for my post... which means they changed it shortly thereafter! That's crazy.

Here is the manual I downloaded yesterday... P320 Manual

Though, the new manual says "X SERIES"... whatever that is.

I think the X series is a competition model. Now I'm even more confused. Although it appears that if fully disassembled the firing pin safety and spring can be hard to but back together properly, thus rendering it inactive. Perhaps that is the source of the issue? I think it is possible that during testing the guns were completely broken down and not reassembled correctly and failed as a result. No source to confirm that, just a hunch.

SigSour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2017
    Baton Rouge
    I think the X series is a competition model. Now I'm even more confused. Although it appears that if fully disassembled the firing pin safety and spring can be hard to but back together properly, thus rendering it inactive. Perhaps that is the source of the issue? I think it is possible that during testing the guns were completely broken down and not reassembled correctly and failed as a result. No source to confirm that, just a hunch.

That sounds about right. That spring is really really small and definitely a pain to replace correctly. It took me about 45 minutes to reinstall it the first time I took it apart. And as I mentioned earlier I lost the spring at one point because it's so small. The engineering on the 320 is really incredible once you take it apart and look at it.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    "Ignorance of the functionality is on the purchaser and no excuse at that point... no liability to the manufacturer. Now if they KNEW that it functioned in that manor and withheld the information, that's an entirely different story."

Whattttttt???

You cant be serious.Sig should be sued till their out of biz ,period.Any company that would even attempt
    to put something like " This weapon will fire if dropped and to lie and say "" Any weapon can fire when
    dropped" is just an all out lie.

I don't own any weapon ,firearm or otherwise that would discharge without
    pulling the trigger,weather it be a crossbow,firearm or bb gun.

Sig should loose the contract .Be sued till their blued and run out of biz on a rail.We need more
    laws on what a firearm company can and can not produce.This is completely redundant to all
    other firearm companies out their that actually do care about their production and safety of
    their firearms.

I own 1 sig and it just went up for sale on GB.I will not ,nor should anyone tolerate this behavior
    and antics of any company that would lie ,cheat and misguide the public.

I'm outraged and I will be telling everyone that I know,see,and I will be reporting it to all gun
    and gun related sites,company's and business's.

There is no excuse for such ignorance in any firearm company.They have to be held
    responsible for their misguided practices.

How much you sellin that sig for brah?

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    One thing I am not understanding is the reference to this as a flaw or issue or needing of a "FIX" (which would mean this is an identified problem).

In the original users manual, now removed by Sig and replaced with the Sig 320 X series manual, it clearly identifies this as everyday functionality. It says that it "may fire if dropped"... then also states "Any firearm may"... it doesn't say "WILL FIRE"... so I totally understand your thoughts of "underhanded"... but they didn't keep anything from the public or conceal this "ISSUE" with the P320... they CLEARLY stated that if you drop it, it could fire.

I think that now replacing the original manual with one that states something different is the problem... they would have been better off leaving it alone.

As far as the military never accepting the contract... I can PROMISE you that the military was made aware... which was more than likely overlooked because the military version has a manual safety. They do their own set of acceptance testing (which would include drop testing) prior to accepting the product.

The overall solution is simple... if you NOW are just learning about this, it means you didn't read your owners manual when you purchased the firearm (tisk tisk!)... simply sell the pistol and purchase something else... *POOF* no more issue. Just be careful if you're in the stall next to someone who has one at the range!

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.thef...las-police-prohibited-duty-till-repaired/amp/

More info here. In short, confirmed a "POTENTIAL" defect that caused the PD to recall the p320 from use temporarily until it has been confirmed and/or fixed.

This is the only source I have found so far with any kind of first hand sourced info.

Here is an animation of how the striker mechanism works that I found.

64bc1fe697e03bf8b253511e54b721b7.gif

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Reports in recent days have called into question the safety of SIG SAUER’s popular P320 pistol, the very same platform recently selected by the US Army. *These rumors have spread through the internet and social media to the extent that the Dallas Police Department temporarily suspended their approval of officers who chose to carry P320’s on duty (the primary duty gun for the DPD is the SIG P226). As a result of what SIG considers unfounded and inaccurate information (#fakenews), they’ve just issued the following press release:
    SIG SAUER® Reaffirms Safety of P320® Pistol* *
    Striker-fired pistol exceeds safety standards of ANSI/SAAMI® and U.S. military testing
    Newington, NH (August 4, 2017) – In response to social media rumors questioning the safety of the P320 pistol, a variant of which was selected by the U.S. government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), SIG SAUER, Inc. has full confidence in the reliability, durability and safety of its striker-fired handgun platform. There have been zero (0) reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market, with hundreds of thousands of guns delivered to date.
    The P320 meets and exceeds all U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.
    All SIG SAUER pistols incorporate effective mechanical safeties to ensure they only fire when the trigger is pressed. However, like any mechanical device, exposure to acute conditions (e.g. shock, vibration, heavy or repeated drops) may have a negative effect on these safety mechanisms and cause them to not work as designed. This language is common to owner’s manuals of major handgun manufacturers.
    As a result, individual attempts to perform drop tests outside of professionally controlled environments should not be attempted.
    *SIG SAUER is committed to producing only the finest products,* said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of SIG SAUER. *Safety and reliability have been and always will be paramount to the SIG SAUER brand.*
    For more information on SIG SAUER, please visit us at sigsauer.com

Blaize

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Saint amant
    Interesting turn of events. Sig is a good company, hopefully they get all this ironed out and the pistol retains its good reputation. But then again seems like this kind of thing happened in the 80s when the Beretta was selected over the Sig. Everyone hated it and found every little flaw in it. I think it's a fine weapon personally but that's just one opinion.

BTW I don't have a horse in the race, I shoot glocks and 1911s :D

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Indeed, I will have to admit I have found no reports of the P320 firing of dropped, no drop tests failed, etc., after hours of looking. So it appears that aside from a poorly worded warning in the manual, Sig is in the clear.

Although I would like to know if that PD actually found something concerning with the guns themselves or read too much into the manual warning like many of us did.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Alfred92
    Top Bottom