Sig P320 Recall? Sig update.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There are at least two other departments who have let slip they have experienced similar events with the P320.

I love the IMAGE of Glock. The pistols? They're okay - durable, accurate, modifiable, serviceable. They remain the benchmark for all pistols and I have 19s.

The fully cocked strikers - like the VP9, P320 and XD - can increase the likelihood of a ND so additional engineering must be done to mitigate this.

Suffice it to say modularized pistol designs are here to stay and soon the fire control group will be "encased" with threadlocker or single use pins to prevent them from being tampered with. I would not want to see that as a consumer. As an engineer I'd be ALL THE F OVER the implementation such that I could determine if any of the critical interrelating parts have been tampered with.

I know, thread drift... but it dawned on me as a "great idea/poor idea". They could even void your warranty if there is evidence that the pins have been removed (they could be self-destructing on removal).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    There are at least two other departments who have let slip they have experienced similar events with the P320.

Do you have sources for this? I have only seen the Dallas PD memo. Not calling you a liar, I'm just not into spreading more misinformation.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Do you have sources for this? I have only seen the Dallas PD memo. Not calling you a liar, I'm just not into spreading more misinformation.

I saw this info from Pistol-Forum titled P320 Drop Safety "Issues". It's now twenty pages in my phone.

Last edited:

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    The reason I sold mine yesterday was because of the wording and the clear statement saying

" Keep the chamber empty unless firing "

So I'm guessing you cant sue sig when the bad guy pulls out his weapon and as your pulling the slide
    back to load it,the bad guy shoots your dead. Hmmm

As a daily carry person ,I find this down right disgusting and immoral for any firearm company to say
    anything like that in a manual.

I myself cant grasp the issue of carrying an unloaded firearm.That is just ignorance in my book.I
    don't remember my classroom instructor saying,if you own a sig ,don't load it. But any other firearm
    is ok to load.

That is my issue with sig and to change the manual minutes after they find out,people now know
    of their antics,so they make more antics to try top cover it up.This is not becoming of a military
    contract company.

Oh and I purchased a micro 9mm kimber yesterday for carry.I feel much safer Thanks sig!!!

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I've downloaded and read owners manuals on some C&Rs before purchasing, but never read the manual on modern gun until I got it home. I would have been pissed reading "Keep the chamber empty unless firing" on a pistol that I just purchased, for self defense.

I guess drop checking my XD in the mud would not be a valid test.:)

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Well, things just took a turn for worse, I'm afraid...

https://youtu.be/ch7si_VQsGA

Oh wow. So not only will if fire, but at the worst possible angle! How is that not part of standard testing protocols?! Also, interesting how the physical weight of the trigger itself is what looks to be the problem. Makes me think that Glock tested this when they designed the 17, although the plastic trigger is not heavy enough to do that.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Oh wow. So not only will if fire, but at the worst possible angle! How is that not part of standard testing protocols?! Also, interesting how the physical weight of the trigger itself is what looks to be the problem. Makes me think that Glock tested this when they designed the 17, although the plastic trigger is not heavy enough to do that.

+1 on the worst possible angle.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Lessons learned... Working in a gun store, I see all kinds of brand new firearms that are released, so I wanted to share two lessons learned here from my experience at the shop...

1. NEVER buy a gun that is a "NEW" model. Just like a brand new model car... there are ALWAYS bugs and issues that the PUBLIC is used to test for or that don't show until a mass audience is in attendance and is putting it through the ringer.

2. NEVER buy a gun just because it is the latest "FAD" or craze. We see this ALL OF THE TIME... you can almost plan the firearms that will sell each month based on what's on the cover of certain magazines, or decided on by a law enforcement agency, or signed into use with a MILITARY SERVICE, etc. We received CONSTANT calls for the P320 following the military's decision to use it. Personally, I never liked it... it felt cheaply made to me, the trigger sucked and I didn't like the way it felt overall when fired. It's amazing what people will overlook just because it was chosen by the military (which the actual military version is NOT the civilian version).

Purchase a firearm because it fits YOU, you can operate it properly, and there aren't any issues that you can't resolve... not because someone else TOLD you to get it, not because the FBI uses it (example), not because its the cheapest.

For you viewers out there, let me just say I am a Sig fan... I have rifles and pistols alike from Sig... But I will definitely not base my decision on the manufacturer alone, or because others "like" the firearm.

Choose wisely people... not impulsively. Now we see the mass exodus of P320s hitting the marketplace... the same P320s that everyone just HAD TO HAVE when they were released. It also goes to show you how many people actually adhere to that little sign on the gun that says "READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL".

Happy shooting!

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Lessons learned... Working in a gun store, I see all kinds of brand new firearms that are released, so I wanted to share two lessons learned here from my experience at the shop...

1. NEVER buy a gun that is a "NEW" model. Just like a brand new model car... there are ALWAYS bugs and issues that the PUBLIC is used to test for or that don't show until a mass audience is in attendance and is putting it through the ringer.

2. NEVER buy a gun just because it is the latest "FAD" or craze. We see this ALL OF THE TIME... you can almost plan the firearms that will sell each month based on what's on the cover of certain magazines, or decided on by a law enforcement agency, or signed into use with a MILITARY SERVICE, etc. We received CONSTANT calls for the P320 following the military's decision to use it. Personally, I never liked it... it felt cheaply made to me, the trigger sucked and I didn't like the way it felt overall when fired. It's amazing what people will overlook just because it was chosen by the military (which the actual military version is NOT the civilian version).

Purchase a firearm because it fits YOU, you can operate it properly, and there aren't any issues that you can't resolve... not because someone else TOLD you to get it, not because the FBI uses it (example), not because its the cheapest.

For you viewers out there, let me just say I am a Sig fan... I have rifles and pistols alike from Sig... But I will definitely not base my decision on the manufacturer alone, or because others "like" the firearm.

Choose wisely people... not impulsively. Now we see the mass exodus of P320s hitting the marketplace... the same P320s that everyone just HAD TO HAVE when they were released. It also goes to show you how many people actually adhere to that little sign on the gun that says "READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL".

Happy shooting!

Very well said Sir! :)

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA

Happy shooting!

Agree with all accept reading the owners manual would not tell anyone anything relevant to how the pistol will discharge if it is dropped on its rear. It just said may fire if dropped, and applied it to every gun, and that's just outright false. I would trust Glock, M&P, XDs, SR9/40, etc. to not fire if dropped from any height and any angle. Why? Because they all have a trigger stop that prevents the trigger being moved unless it is depressed. The striker may release but if the trigger does not move, the striker block will prevent a discharge. So I believe just adding a trigger stop (Sig has one according to the video) will rectify the issue.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I'd like to see *ALL* striker fired pistols perform JUST LIKE THE SIG - on concrete and hitting the rear of the slide.

One would THINK that this would be an additional impact point from, say, four feet.

Kinda scary as girlie pistol could be aimed at yourself or someone not involved in the immediate hostilities.

Police officers should be aware as I know some like to temporarily disarm Concealed Pistol License holders and if the pistol drops JUST RIGHT we have a potentially deadly situation.

I'm thinking this IS an issue but it may be an issue for ALL striker fired pistols (or at least those which replicate a single action trigger function.

And I agree about the Glock 17. They also have a safety ON their trigger. A clue, perhaps.

If this is the case it makes me smile thinking, "that damned Gaston..."

Last edited:

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Happy shooting!

Very
    Well
    Put.

Thank you!

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I'd like to see *ALL* striker fired pistols perform JUST LIKE THE SIG - on concrete and hitting the rear of the slide.

One would THINK that this would be an additional impact point from, say, four feet.

Kinda scary as girlie pistol could be aimed at yourself or someone not involved in the immediate hostilities.

Police officers should be aware as I know some like to temporarily disarm Concealed Pistol License holders and if the pistol drops JUST RIGHT we have a potentially deadly situation.

I'm thinking this IS an issue but it may be an issue for ALL striker fired pistols (or at least those which replicate a single action trigger function.

When you say "perform like the Sig" you mean drop tested on the rear of the slide, correct? If so I will happily test my Glock 17 and 34 when I get home tonight. I'll load a couple empty cases with live primers (no powder or projectile) and drop them from from eye level (I'm about 6'2" so around 6 feet), record and post the results when I can. I also have access to a S&W SD9VE I have access to so I'll ask the owner if I can test that one as well (it has an APEX string kit so the trigger is lighter than the factory 9-ish pounds).

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    When you say "perform like the Sig" you mean drop tested on the rear of the slide, correct? If so I will happily test my Glock 17 and 34 when I get home tonight. I'll load a couple empty cases with live primers (no powder or projectile) and drop them from from eye level (I'm about 6'2" so around 6 feet), record and post the results when I can. I also have access to a S&W SD9VE I have access to so I'll ask the owner if I can test that one as well (it has an APEX string kit so the trigger is lighter than the factory 9-ish pounds).

Yes. But don't drop your pistol on concrete like they did. TRUST ME.... MANY agencies WILL be doing just that. SOONER than later.

If I had to guess... I'm thinking the Glock's pass.

Why?

Safety ON the trigger.

I could be wrong but if I had to bet you a quarter I'd bet they pass.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Yes. But don't drop your pistol on concrete like they did. TRUST ME.... MANY agencies WILL be doing just that. SOONER than later.

If I had to guess... I'm thinking the Glock's pass.

Why?

Safety ON the trigger.

I could be wrong but if I had to bet you a quarter I'd bet they pass.

It wouldn't on bare concrete. I would put a thin piece of cardboard for it to fall on. Although I am curious if say the trigger stop got stuck off, would it still fire? I still doubt it but I will check it out anyway just for my own piece of mind and let y'all know.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    It wouldn't on bare concrete. I would put a thin piece of cardboard for it to fall on. Although I am curious if say the trigger stop got stuck off, would it still fire? I still doubt it but I will check it out anyway just for my own piece of mind and let y'all know.

If you test the Glock with the safety tab disabled please post the results.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Please post all results and all configurations you test with.

That is the plan, as detailed as I can with photos and a video or two. I still need to go to the range and test out that Fieldsport red dot I got a few weeks ago, just have not had time or money to do so (spoiler, it looks and feels pretty well made, windage and elevation clicks feel better than expected, dot is as clear as any to my astigmatism eyes but the glass is VERY blue compared to say the bushnell trs-25).

I hope to get to it tonight however it seems lately every time there's something I WANT to do, something I HAVE to do rears its ugly head and halts the fun so we will see what happens.

Top Bottom