Sighting in my first rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    This will be for bench rest competition? Different schools of thought on the break in for barrels. What kind of rifle, what is the intended use, caliber?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Madisonville
    This will be for bench rest competition? Different schools of thought on the break in for barrels. What kind of rifle, what is the intended use, caliber?

remingtion 700 sps varmit. .308 with a 26" bull barrel. not competition, but possibly. definitely too heavy for a hunting rifle.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Start off at 25 yards. Get it close at 25, but don't waste ammo trying to get it perfect. FYI for a 100 yard zero, you should be shooting ~3/4" low at 25 yards.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I've always zeroed by groups and don't use a bench rest.

I start at 25yds, boresighting is not even close to zero.
    Get your windage zeroed at 25 and get your elevation so that it's around an inch or so low at 25.
    Then move to your desired zero range.
    I usually take 3 shots and then adjust so that the center of the group is at my point of aim. I don't have a spotting scope so I generally have to walk to my target and check, which gives the barrel a chance to cool between groups, but honestly the rifle gets hotter just sitting in the sun than firing a few shots.

As for break in follow the manufacturers recommendations.

ETA: Zero with the ammunition you plan to use, different ammo will have a different point of impact at 100yds from your gun. Don't expect to be able to break it in and zero it with Cheap surplus ammo and have the zero be the same for Match grade ammo.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Bore sight it visually to double check it. I have used laser bore sights and had results vary from not having to touch the windage to being really off.
    I wouldn't be too worried about the break in procedure, except to keep it cool. Don't fire 20 rounds in 4 minutes. Wait for the F class match for that!!

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    My last few rifles I've run a bore snake after each round for the first 5 and after each 5 rounds for the next 20, everyone does a little something different.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Read what Remington say in the manual. Other than that letting it cool is probably the biggest thing. Some guys get meticulous, some guys just don't worry about it. Following manufacturer direction and not getting too hot makes the most sense.

What ammo do you intend to use?

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    As far as zero, I go old school on that. At the range, I prop up my rifle, remove bolt and try to aim at something that is recognizable at 100 yds. After getting a good image of what i see down the barrel in my head, I try to replicate as much of that picture through the scope. I have always got on paper this way. So I never really bothered with getting a bore sighter. You can also do this at 25, 50, etc. As long as your eye can see a clear picture down the barrel.

I've read about so many different techniques on break in, it makes me sick. It got to the point where I'm following ritten's advice. My POI hasn't changed yet so I'm not worried. I only clean because I put a thin layer of oil in the barrel since I don't shoot as often and worry about rusting/pitting.

I also have the same rifle. Get the best damn glass you can afford! Then ditch the stock. Ask me how I know.....

Top Bottom