Signage ..( Mississippi )

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I was just reading something interesting . The State of Mississippi DOES recognize signage as a legal way to ban handguns in a place of business . A lot of you folks hunt , fish , and camp in Miss. and I just wanted to give a heads up . :cool:

Edit ... Looks like Texas is the same . With the correct type of signage .

Last edited:

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    This is why concealed carry is pointless. All of these liberal run Businesses will have signs. It is a crime in Louisiana to carry in a business that has a sign. Why I never renewed my license. Every where I need to carry was illegal to. I do not walk down public side walks very often which is about the only place you can legally carry.

Carrying in a Place of Business that has a Sign is a misdemeanor. I got this straight from BRPD.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    This is why concealed carry is pointless. All of these liberal run Businesses will have signs. It is a crime in Louisiana to carry in a business that has a sign. Why I never renewed my license. Every where I need to carry was illegal to. I do not walk down public side walks very often which is about the only place you can legally carry.

Carrying in a Place of Business that has a Sign is a misdemeanor. I got this straight from BRPD.

Ask them to cite the actual statue .

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Whoever told you that was incorrect.

In Louisiana, if you enter a business with sign that says no firearms / concealed carry, the business will have to ask you to leave. If you don't you can be charged with trespassing.

Texas is a bit different with the 30.06/30.07/51% signs.

I can't comment on Mississippi, which this thread is about, but this seems to be a decent link:
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ms-gun-laws/

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    To my knowledge, Mississippi mimics Louisiana, regardless if you have the enhanced permit or not. You can be asked to leave, if you don't, you can be charged with trespassing.

Not quite accurate, but not entirely incorrect. Regardless if you are open carrying or carrying concealed, if signage exists, you are trespassing.

R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    A polling place;
    A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    The state capitol building;
    Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship; See RS 40:1379.3 (U)
    A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

The question then becomes "is concealed, concealed?" If they do not know you are carrying, then they won't know you have a firearm and should not be allowed on the property. Obviously they would notice you are open carrying.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    So Dave , what part of that are you basing your opinion ? " If signage exists , you are trespassing " .

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So Dave , what part of that are you basing your opinion ?

It's based off of this part:
    The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I figured as much , but it seems ambiguous to me .

How?

It clearly states that property owners (or their delegates) may prohibit access to those carrying a concealed firearm.

When a place prohibits you from being there, and you choose to remain, that is called "Tresspassing" (or remaining after forbidden depending on where you're at).

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You seem to be contradicting your first post .

Not necessarily. You won't be charged for carrying somewhere with a posted sign. You would be charged with trespassing (potentially among other things).

Seems Mississippi's legislation is similar.

FWIW, if a business has a no firearms sign, I can choose to spend my money elsewhere. In all the years I've been carrying, I've yet to come across a business that I was forced to enter.

Stew15948

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2018
    Pelahatchie MS
    In Mississippi, with the enhanced permit, you can conceal carry anywhere but a courtroom, police station, hwy patrol or prison/detention center, or place of nuisance.

The enhanced permit carrier can’t be charge with a gun crime for ignoring a ‘no gun’ sign...but can face trespassing charges...but only if discovered of course.

For signage in MS, it is clearly stated it has to be: clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited”.

If course, federal and TVA property is another story.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Anyone remember the days when you had to wait days to get a pistol and to get a concealed carry permit you had to get it from the local Sheriffs office and it was only good for that parish? My mom had a stalker in the 80's and had a carry permit from the Sherriff. Even employer had to allow her to carry at work, Windixie. She was the store manager.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    And I remember those badges that said " Special Deputy " . Never knew what those were good for . My Dad had three of them from different Parishes . :D

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If you have a valid CHP and carry in a business that has a NO GUN sign wouldn't you be violating the rules for CHP?

Top Bottom