So, I'm thinking about getting a CDL.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    Hello everyone,

I've been thinking about getting my CDL for a while now. I've been under the impression that you have to be 21 to get a CDL. I've just learned that this is not so. So, I'm thinking about getting one sometime soon. I'll be limited to Intrastate travel only until I turn 21 though. I just wanted to see if anybody has some tips on getting a CDL.

FYI: I plan on driving a dump truck or a smaller semi truck.

I started thinking about all of this when my Aunt mentioned that she used to manage a trucking company back in the 90's and that she still knows a lot of people in the trucking business.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If you have a CDL ( and with the right endorsements ) you should always be able to find SOME kind of job . Be aware though , the DWI laws are different for a CDL driver . Lower blood alcohol level .

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Its a good move, you will always be able to find work of some sort like Dan said. The tests are not to bad with a little studying, the toughest test is the Hazmat but I don't think you can take that till you are 21.

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    Yeah, I just planned on doing the basics. Regular, Air Brakes, and Combination. Like I said in the first post; I plan on mainly driving dump trucks and hauling goods thoughout the state.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    My recommendation as far as what to do with a CDL, is become a Hot-Shot driver. They make good money, many work independantly, almost always home every day (even if at random times sometimes), and you always have an excuse to go by another new (nice) truck! Most of the ones I deal with are driving decked out 3/4 and 1 ton trucks less than 2 years old (because of the miles they put on them of course)

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Yeah, I just planned on doing the basics. Regular, Air Brakes, and Combination. Like I said in the first post; I plan on mainly driving dump trucks and hauling goods thoughout the state.

I did that for several years then a guy I worked for bought a Pete and I made a trip to the West Coast and couldn't get the genie back in the bottle for 10 years and two wives...

For a level headed guy who can save money and avoid temptation it's a great job IMO :rolleyes:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I was just talking about that with my wife today. I want to have as many options on my plate and having a cdl is one of them. I think I'm more interested in personel transport like limo or shuttle service as opposed to industrial. However,I would entertain a hot shot business in the future as well.

scottjajr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Oakdale
    Being that yuour under 21, you wnt have many choices of who you can drive for due to the insurance requirements, so many like you t be 25 with 3 years experience. Thats the only problem I can see you may have at your age.

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    I did that for several years then a guy I worked for bought a Pete and I made a trip to the West Coast and couldn't get the genie back in the bottle for 10 years and two wives...

For a level headed guy who can save money and avoid temptation it's a great job IMO :rolleyes:

I don't plan on doing anything out of state for several years. I do work with dump truck drivers on a daily basis, and they make decent money. Or at least way more than the $10/hour I make now.

Last edited:

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I started out driving hotshot but the 24hr call gets to you after a while. I got my class ""A" with X endorsement thinking it would get me into a big truck but most want a min. of 3yrs exp with a trailer before they put you in a truck. My advice is to take a truck driving course with a reputable school first, because that's a very big weapon you'll be driving, you'll need to know how to handle it properly. I've seen way too many cane trucks laying on their sides that were driven by people who said they knew how to drive. Good luck.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I am 20, and will be starting my class on feb 28. One school I went to check out was 6000, and lasted only 16 days. I am going to a technical college where it is free, but is 7 weeks. I rather do the free for 7 weeks though. I see many jobs and there seems to be alot of work, especially if you plan to go "on the road" when your 21. I sure don't plan on it. I hope to eventually get into hot shot. I will see more as the time comes, as I don't know how to go about it. I don't really care if I drive or not, just figure its something to have if ever needed, and it wont hurt to have.

BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    One negative with a CDL is that all driving violations count against your work safety record even in your own personal vehicle so you gotta be careful. Are you part of the road crew doing construction on Hwy 61?

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    One negative with a CDL is that all driving violations count against your work safety record even in your own personal vehicle so you gotta be careful. Are you part of the road crew doing construction on Hwy 61?

No, I'm working on Hwy 66, or Angola road. Down towards the prison.
    I work for the same company that's doing all the work on I-10.

Last edited:

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    Have you considered heavy equipment operater? Since you're already with a construction company, that's a foot in the door.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    If you go to school to get your cdl some companies will waive the 3 yr experience rule. I know Acme Truck Line does. Others as well.

As far as school options go to a Tech college. It'll save you a butt load of money and you'll get a lot more time behind the wheel than you will with a "Truck Driving School".

Like others have said, Get all the endorsements you can. And keep your nose clean even in your own vehicle because any ticket you get goes against your cdl.

Top Bottom