So, my day went downhill...*Update post 29*

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtalbert

Deer Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Monroe
    Wow i heard it got pretty rough. We lost power at one of our shops but luckily no damage.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    That sucks. We had a tree fall down the side of our house during Gustav. It wiped out around 25 feet of the eves and buckled the roof about 10+ feet up. Luckily no water was getting in. Some roofers came out less than two weeks later and fixed it up good as new in no time. It was harder to get rid of the tree than it was to fix the house it turned out. Hopefully you get it knocked it out with little headache!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Okay! The bad news is it appears to be a pecan tree! (Pecan trees are cool and produce something you can use (pecans)). The good news is, it appears to be a pecan tree (Something that you can use in the Winter), for firewood.

Other than that, :dunno:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Sorry to hear that man, We lost our house and both trucks during gustav.. the tree that came in the house nearly killed my wife, I saw it happening and grabbed her and three her out of the way, breaking my foot in the process..

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Is that on register? I'm about to go to my parents rental on cryer and begin cutting the tree off the roof, if you need help let me know.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Wow, glad you are okay.

When I worked construction, the boss (owner) bought a house that had a tree fall on it. The tree hit so hard and just right that there were joists and rafters clear on the other side of the house had split.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Is that on register? I'm about to go to my parents rental on cryer and begin cutting the tree off the roof, if you need help let me know.

Thanks, but I've done what I can for now. I'm waiting on Entergy to come around again so I can verify that the lines on the ground are off. Everything that's left to do, including putting up a FEMA roof, is within a few feet of the downed lines.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Wow, glad you are okay.

When I worked construction, the boss (owner) bought a house that had a tree fall on it. The tree hit so hard and just right that there were joists and rafters clear on the other side of the house had split.

I'm just glad the pecan branch didn't go through the main part of the roof, just the eaves. Everyone in the neigborhood had a long, hot night last night. I really feel bad for my next door neighbor; there's a big tree down across the road on one side of his driveway, a phone pole down across the road on the other side, and lines down across his driveway. He and his wife can't even take the truck and go to the store.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I'm just glad the pecan branch didn't go through the main part of the roof, just the eaves. Everyone in the neigborhood had a long, hot night last night. I really feel bad for my next door neighbor; there's a big tree down across the road on one side of his driveway, a phone pole down across the road on the other side, and lines down across his driveway. He and his wife can't even take the truck and go to the store.

And if that's your tree on the lines everyone is going to blame you for the long hot night :p Hope all goes well.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I saw entergy working over there when I was finishing up the last few shingles were you able to get a FEMA roof up?

I did, as best I could with the ladder I had and the debris everywhere. I was generous with the staples; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it holds through the storm that appears to brewing right now. It looks like it will be Monday at the very earliest before I can even get an estimate.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I got lucky once I got the tree cut up and thrown off the house there were only 5 holes through the roof and no damage to the ceiling joist, I was able to cut out the old 1x6's and put some new ones in. Then layed down some tar paper and put the new shingles on. $50 in materials and day of work saved the $1000 deductible, and insurance going up.

If your patch job doesn't hold send me a pm and I will come take a look at it to see if we can get you something better temporary until you can get it fixed.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Patch job, lol. A "FEMA roof" is a blue tarp. It doesn't look like it would leak inside even without the tarp unless we got more sideways rain. The gap where water could get in is about a foot long and 3 inches wide. I'm just worried about more high winds taking off with the tarp, even with about a 3 inch stick of staples holding it down. I'm also going to have to have someone come look at the oak tree; there's a split down one side of it.

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Lol yeah I wasn't replacing the roof when I could patch it and keep it from leaking. Cut rate labor to begin with since it was for my parents.

And yeah i know all about the "FEMA roof" it looked a lot worse until I got the tree off, I thought for sure that was what I would be doing today and calling the insurance company Monday. Instead I fixed it and got two new tires for my truck lol.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I don't blame you, they hardly cover anything with basic insurance. We had a limb fall out of a tree and damage a renters car one time, even though the tree wasn't dead and the limb wasnt rotted, the liability refused to cover it since no one was injured.

Who are you planning on using for an estimate? As long as no joist are damaged I know a few people who do home repairs/tree cutting services cheaper than most companies.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Who are you planning on using for an estimate? As long as no joist are damaged I know a few people who do home repairs/tree cutting services cheaper than most companies.

Chambless came by and left a business card; I'll try them for an estimate first. I'll have to have a licensed electrician do some of it; Entergy won't reconnect power until a city inspector approves it, and they won't approve it unless I use a licensed electrician for the electrical repairs.

Top Bottom