Someone sell me on a MAC!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I've had my Macbook Pro 17 for about 5 years. I've never had a virus or had to reboot for anything other than upgrading the software. I started with a Commodore 28 and worked my way through many PC's. Then I experimented with Linux, that is what eventually got my to buy a Mac. My son DJ's and he started with PC and had a lot of crashes, we got him a Macbook pro 15" and he said he'd never go back to PC, as far as productivity goes, you can get Open Office for free, and it does everything Microsoft Office does. I actually have mine set up to save in Office format since I have to deal with Microsoft products at work. Adobe Photoshop, Coreldraw, and many other productivity suites work best and trouble free on Macs. Get as much RAM as you can afford, the newer one I think can hold 8 gig. Mine is limited to 4. My son has 8 in his. Once you go Mac you won't go back. I do have Win 7 on a desktop that my wife uses, and I converted my Win7 netbook to Ubuntu. Also Apple's customer service it great to deal with. My only issue was a battery that went out after 3 years of leaving it plugged in all the time, and the replaced it at the Apple store for free. The newer Macbooks with the solid state hard drives also have longer battery life, not as long as an Ipad, but twice as long as my Macbook. If I ever get a newer one it will be a 15" instead of 17".

17" is way to much for me! If I ever need a bigger screen I will hook it up to an external.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    The same could be said of Mac, for those of us Linux users.

Mac is not worth the extra $ if you are not into making 3d animations or prefer the very impressive video editing/creation software. Otherwise Windoze is fine unfortunately if the Linux learning curve is too steep. I jsut priced a similarly equipped Windows laptop for a buddy last night for about $750 less than what your Mac up there costs(with a 17.3 inch screen, not 13.3). For your intents and purposes, you won't see a difference in performance if you're not doing the aforementioned tasks.

+1000 Also note that while that MAC may last a long time, in the not-so-distant future you will encounter an OS upgrade that doesn't support your hardware. Windows Updates run no matter what. I have quality PCs at home and MACs at work, I don't see any difference in speed or efficiency, and I'm a graphic designer running memory-hogging software on both platforms. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a good PC laptop and spend the savings on a new firearm.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    If all you want is a laptop to use with Microsoft Office you can get one for under $500 with a core 2 duo...

Mac is nice if you don't know how to use a computer and you're bad about getting viruses and whatnot. You probably won't use most of the features the OS offers and there's really no reason to pay the premium on a Mac unless you absolutely must be the cool hipster at starbucks.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    If you HAVE to have MS office, they make it for the mac. http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products

What you have to understand is that what that extra money is for is not the speed, but the stability and long life of a mac. You will wear out at least 2 PC's before that mac will break, so think of in terms of time and you will be saving quite a bit. Don't let that stop you from buying the best warranty they offer, though, "just in case". The best warranty apple sells also covers accidental damages IIRC, so.......

What the hell are you smoking? We have about 2 dozen macs in the company I work for and at least half of them have failed within the first year of usage. What fantasy world do you live in where a mac will never break or give an error message? It's easier to go to stupid websites and infect a PC with malware/viruses that's really about the only thing Mac has over PC. But not because Mac is a better operating system, just because Mac holds such a small percentage of computer sales there's no point coding malware/viruses to attack them.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Lurk.gif
    This is getting interesting.

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    Two questions.
    Can you connect an Apple to one of the newer TVs and use as a monitor ?
    Can you connect cable to an Apple and watch TV on your computer ?

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Here I'll save you a bunch of money for more PC than you'll ever use.

[url]http://slickdeals.net/f/4196286-HP-Pavilion-dv6t-Quad-Core-Laptop-Core-i7-2670QM-2-2GHz-8GB-DDR3-750GB-HDD-15-6-1920x1080-LED-Radeon-HD-7690M-Blu-ray-ROM-DVD-Burner-WiFi-N-9-cell-Win-7-Prem-881-Free

[/URL]
    HP Pavilion dv6t Quad: 15.6" Full HD Anti-glare LED (1920 x 1080), i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz), Radeon HD 7690M. 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, HD Webcam, Fingerprint Reader, WiFi-N $861 AC + FS
    dark umber
    • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz
    • 1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7690M GDDR5 Discrete Graphics(TM) [HDMI, VGA]
    • FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    • Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
    • No additional security software
    • 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 6.0 hours of battery life +++
    • 15.6" Full HD HP Anti-glare LED (1920 x 1080)
    • FREE UPGRADE to Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
    HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
    • 802.11b/g/n WLAN
    • Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad

Apply 35% OFF Coupon = NBD6563

http://slickdeals.net/f/4196286-HP-...-DVD-Burner-WiFi-N-9-cell-Win-7-Prem-881-Free
    Product Link [hp.com]

You can upgrade to an 9-Cell battery for $30 more which would be $19.50 after coupon
    biggrin.gif

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Two questions.
    Can you connect an Apple to one of the newer TVs and use as a monitor ?
    Can you connect cable to an Apple and watch TV on your computer ?

The answer to both is ... YES....with the proper adapters(sold separately)
    the answer is the same for PC laptops, too

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    What the hell are you smoking? We have about 2 dozen macs in the company I work for and at least half of them have failed within the first year of usage. What fantasy world do you live in where a mac will never break or give an error message? It's easier to go to stupid websites and infect a PC with malware/viruses that's really about the only thing Mac has over PC. But not because Mac is a better operating system, just because Mac holds such a small percentage of computer sales there's no point coding malware/viruses to attack them.

Somebody missed their fiber this morning.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Well, since Boose has pulled out the popcorn....

Where these desktops or laptops? New or "refurbished"? Did your company buy them direct from apple or from some local hackjobs that also installed the system for them?? If I am wrong here, I will eat my words, but I don't think I am.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Do Not Buy HP!!! They have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. If you have to buy an off the shelf PC, Toshiba and Dell are the only 2 companies I can fully recommend without reservation.

I will agree with that because my company uses HP and they fail all the time. The only thing I like about the HP's is the great docking station's they make.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Hey man if your interested in a used mac I have a 2010 MacBook air and I'm looking to get @$600 for it.It' like new.

Last edited:

CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    It's hard to beat the 13" macbook pro for $999. Just a gorgeous machine.

I use both PC and Mac. My server, HTPCs and main machine run microsoft OS. My laptop is a MacBook Pro.

I definitely spend more time troubleshooting PC issues.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Somebody missed their fiber this morning.

Can't add anything to the conversation so you decide to toss insults. Sounds about right.

Do Not Buy HP!!! They have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. If you have to buy an off the shelf PC, Toshiba and Dell are the only 2 companies I can fully recommend without reservation.

All of the customer service is crap for the consumer side. You get to talk to India and hope you get someone who will just send you the part to fix the damn thing yourself. However I've had several HP laptops in the past and didn't have any major issues (nothing I couldn't fix myself). Besides you don't have to go to HP to find an i7 with a decent video card for under $1000 (if you go with PC).

Well, since Boose has pulled out the popcorn....

Where these desktops or laptops? New or "refurbished"? Did your company buy them direct from apple or from some local hackjobs that also installed the system for them?? If I am wrong here, I will eat my words, but I don't think I am.

Macbook Pro's purchased from the vendor we buy everything from. We have a pretty large IT department so we don't trust "local hackjobs" :mamoru: Not that it would matter, it wasn't software issues it was hardware issues. Had a couple with video cards that quit working, a couple that the motherboard needed to be replaced on, and a couple that the hard drives died on. Typical computer issues you find all the time. Not saying PC fails any more or less than Apple products but nothing is as bulletproof as you claim. I could go on an hour long spiel about how horrible these things are to support on a corporate domain but that's not going to affect the typical user.

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I will agree with that because my company uses HP and they fail all the time. The only thing I like about the HP's is the great docking station's they make.

The company I work for uses Lenovo and they fail all the time. All of these computers have the same internals. They're all cheap as hell made in China garbage that will fail. Doesn't matter what they brand on the outside of the laptop. If you have a computer that hasn't failed, then consider yourself lucky and knock on wood.

Hell we've got several Sager laptops (rebadged Clevo laptops) which are supposed to be your top of the line Windows gaming laptop. We've had 3 fail in the past 6 months (all video card issues) and these laptops were $2000-3000 in price.

So what I'm getting at is if you like Mac OS, go with Mac. If you like Windows, go with PC. One is no better than the other, however one is more expensive than the other because it can be and people will still buy it. Hell you can run Windows on a Mac and you can run Mac on a PC if you really wanted to.

Last edited:

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    This is very true, but I accepted long ago that Linux just isn't for most people. I love it, its free, its open, and the better versions are infinitely customizable, but I almost never recommend it to others unless they show to me that they enjoy the challenge of learning new things and even then, I tell them to get a second computer or use a dual boot setup. What distribution do you run?

I agree, if you're not comfortable in a terminal window then most Linux might not be for you. However, Ubuntu has come a long way and I installed it on my nontechie neighbor's computer and he's getting around fine; most can operate Ubuntu without ever opening a terminal. I run Fedora at work, Ubuntu configured with LAMP and Drupal at my house for dev, and I've been playing around with Mint lately - it's turning out to be a good LAMP distro as well. Not many differences between the systems except terminal commands, layout, and some file names are a little different. I'm most familiar with Fedora but am pretty confident in Ubuntu as well.

Last edited:

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have done a little re-search on that and everything I have been over says YES!! It is just very expensive the bigger you go. It is also much more durable and faster from what I have been reading. Everything out there pointed to going that route and that is why I chose it.

Hey go for it! If you want to save some $$, I think SSD's are going to drop in price pretty hard in the nex 6 months-year - might save a few $$ by getting a rotary HDD now and upgrading to SSD later. Just a thought.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Once you go Mac you won't go back.

Funny, my wife has been a Mac user for years, but wants her next computer to be a PC. Reason? We have an aged macbook pro (4 years old) where some parts are failing, getting parts is a little harder and upgrading is not really an option. With a PC, you can upgrade parts as needed.

For the OP: To me, a Mac is not worth the money. I know enough about computers to get the bloat ware off and keep it running fine.... if all you are going to do is surf the net, Office and need some portability, a netbook gets you all of that for around $250 Seriously, it's what I'm using now. I did have to get used to the compressed keyboard.

If a Gaming system is what you want PC all the way.

If you want a fashion symbol where you have to know next to nothing about computers and have no interest learning about computers but want to surf the net..... a Mac might be for you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom