Someone sell me on a MAC!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I agree there is a risk no matter what, but statistically the risk is much lower with OSX.

Hackers are like advertisers, they want to get as much bang for their buck as they can. Statistically, you're more likely to see higher quality/bigger name advertisements during primetime/big sporting events on major networks... Why? Because advertisers know they will get the most exposure where the most people are tuning in. The same goes for PC viruses. If the Apple market were ever to grow larger than the PC market :mamoru:, I suspect you'd see an explosion of Mac viruses and innovative new ways to plant them.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Hackers are like advertisers, they want to get as much bang for their buck as they can. Statistically, you're more likely to see higher quality/bigger name advertisements during primetime/big sporting events on major networks... Why? Because advertisers know they will get the most exposure where the most people are tuning in. The same goes for PC viruses. If the Apple market were ever to grow larger than the PC market :mamoru:, I suspect you'd see an explosion of Mac viruses and innovative new ways to plant them.

yea, we already went over this above in the thread.

No one is arguing that market share doesn't make a difference. What I AM saying is that there are other factors also. It's easy to write malicious software for Windows and there are A LOT of users, where it's harder on OSX and there aren't as many users... no brainer.

Regardless, there is less Risk with OSX based products... and I'll continue enjoying that lower risk profile!

Anyway.. back on subject...another thing I like about Macs is "preview"... comes with OSX and it can open all sorts of files, including PDF's... no more having to download slow, buggy/crappy Adobe Acrobat reader!

Last edited:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    581440_342180932514652_268330443233035_934460_998456105_n.jpg

slamram99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I am a full time student, I am a DJ, and a photographer. I use my macbook pro at least 4 hours a day. They are incredible machines, you can upgrade them just as much as a pc. For DJing I have at least 8-10 fellow dj's that will not use anything else. I had a 17" MBP for 4 years untill i was DJing and a girl decided to spill a drink on it. no viruses, problems of any kind before that. $250 and its back running again after fried logic board, now I have a 15" Macbook Pro and love it as well.

I upgraded from 4 to 8gb of ram

I am about to replace CD drive with another 750 gb 2.5 inch hard drive.

I would not trade my computer for a windows laptop anytime.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'll tell you about when I converted. I'm currently in college (to give you an idea of my age). I grew up on PC's. Got my first desktop when I was 9. When I was 13 I learned HTML and CSS, and started doing webdesign. At 14 I built my first PC. At 16 I started taking old PC's, ripping out hard drives and stuffing them in other casings to make servers in my closet. I've used Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 a little bit via my netbook. When I hit about 16 a lot of people I knew were getting Macs. I thought it was stupid. Why spend that much money when you can constantly upgrade your PC and have it just as good for half the price? Also talk about the customization and things you CAN'T do on a Mac... Well finally I decided to buy an iMac and see how it was and I absolutely loved it. No glitches, no freezing, no slowing down over time. It takes a little while to get used to but one day you just start to realize, hey, this thing works! When I went to college I did what you're looking at doing now. I bought the best MacBook Pro I could at the time. And I'm typing on it right now, and I must say it's as fast as it was when I bought it and that's almost two years ago. I have 4 Gigs of RAM and an i7. Also, my first Mac (the iMac), was purchased in 2007, only has two gigs of Ram and some intel dual core and it STILL runs well. I still own a handful of PC's but there's not much of a comparison.

If you need PC for work, or like to do gaming and networking etc, stick with PC. If you want a computer that runs well, and just plain and simple works, the Mac is worth it. And like mentioned before office is no problem. I have Office 2011 on mine right now. They make a version specifically for Mac. Also with Mac OS updates are really cheap. I was pissed when I bought a Vista computer, only to find out what a nightmare that OS is and then realizing I had to pay almost $200 to upgrade to the equivalent version of windows 7. OS upgrades on Mac are like 30 bucks.

Be sure to get the Apple Care warranty if you go that route though. I've used it more than once and the custom service is beyond amazing. When I first got the iMac the power supply went out. I was living in NOLA before that Apple store opened at Lakeside mall. Apple paid to have a certified technician come out to my house. Turns out he couldn't fix it, so Apple over nighted me a whole new iMac, and offered to pay to have all my files transferred.

So yeah, there's my long drawn out story of how hard I was into PC's and now how big I am into Mac's. Let me know if you have any questions!

AND....
    It works out of the box! No drivers to install! Though, viruses are becoming more of a problem.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Ok, let's say I am in the market for a new laptop, why should it be a MAC? Is it really worth the extra money? Is it really all that much faster?

I want someone that knows enough about them to sell me, please. I have been considering them for awhile now and just have never pulled the trigger. I also need to be able to use Microsoft Office everyday, is that possible and affordable?

I'm not sure on a laptop, but I would never waste the money on a MAC desktop. Equal performance for 2-300% cost increase. At least, for online gaming, surfing the 'net, and general use. I am sure there are things a MAC is better at, I'm just not into them.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I am a full time student, I am a DJ, and a photographer. I use my macbook pro at least 4 hours a day. They are incredible machines, you can upgrade them just as much as a pc. For DJing I have at least 8-10 fellow dj's that will not use anything else. I had a 17" MBP for 4 years untill i was DJing and a girl decided to spill a drink on it. no viruses, problems of any kind before that. $250 and its back running again after fried logic board, now I have a 15" Macbook Pro and love it as well.

I upgraded from 4 to 8gb of ram

I am about to replace CD drive with another 750 gb 2.5 inch hard drive.

I would not trade my computer for a windows laptop anytime.

There's a reason we (and many other companies) choose Lenovo Thinkpads for corporate use :) They are spill proof, typically drop proof, and have reinforced pieces in them to make them almost crush proof (to a certain extent). We had a guy run over a Thinkpad with a forklift that had a pallet full of equipment and the only problem it had was screen damage. That was several years ago and the branch is still using the laptop hooked up to an external monitor. Also when we do have a problem, we have a technician out the next business day to repair the problem on site for 3 years. My g/f had a problem with her mac and had to take it to the apple store in Metairie where they required her to go home, put in the original ram, then she had to drive back and they shipped it off to a repair center where they had it for a week. Then she had to drive back out to Metairie to pick it up :rofl:

PS I'm not saying that the Lenovo's don't fail (like I said before, all electronics can and will fail) but it seems Lenovo realizes people are stupid and will drop/spill/etc so they specifically make it hard to physically damage their laptops.

Also upgrading memory and swapping out a hard drive aren't really the upgrades people talk about when they say you can't upgrade a mac. Try and upgrade your CPU :mamoru:

(mute the speakers for this one, annoying mortal kombat music ugh)

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    AND....
    It works out of the box! No drivers to install! Though, viruses are becoming more of a problem.

Windows laptops work out the box and come with all drivers installed :confused:

Even if you wiped/reinstalled, Windows 7 has about 90% of the drivers out there when you do Windows Updates. I just redid an HP Pavilion for someone and didn't have to install a single driver as Windows had them all in their database.

So far in this whole thread the only thing that makes Mac better than Windows is the fact that people don't target them for spyware/viruses. If that's worth the premium in price, then go for the Mac.

However it still amuses me how people who own Macs think they are completely superior to PC in every way. I said it before and I'll say it again. One is no better than the other. It simply comes down to personal preference just like Glock vs S&W or AR vs AK. Both have their strong points and weak points but one is not better than the other.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    And actually pretty accurate. That's why I like the picture of the trike and Ninja, but it should me a regular bicycle and a modded 10 speed.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I built my first computer. It had a 386-40 processor, 125 MB hard drive, and 8 MB ram. It ran DOS 5 with windows 3.1. That was in the early '90s I've used Windows and/or Linux ever since. And was a confirmed Apple hater. But I recently realised I had no first hand info for my hatred other than the high price of the machine and software. So, a few months ago I bought a iMac. And have regretted it ever since. Every piece of software I want costs way more than the windows version. And some you can't even get.

Now let's talk hardware. The keyboard that came with the machine was a POS. Small and no feedback from the keys. It got knocked off of the desk and flew into multiple pieces, so now I have a full size macally keyboard which should have came with it in the first place. While the mouse looks cool it doesn't feel good in the hand so I replaced it too. And if I can find a buyer I'll be replacing the whole damn thing with another windows unit. So anyway, if someone wants a iMac that I paid $1200 for 4 months ago I sell it for $800 just to get rid of it.

Top Bottom