St.Tammany Fracking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

oldsman350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Hammond
    I've been watching the Abita Town Hall about the proposed fracking off of Hwy 1088. I know we have a lot of guys on here that are oil field workers. What's every ones opinion on this. Good/Bad??

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't know nearly enough about fracking, but living about 2 miles of the proposed site needless to say I'm not thrilled.

Every opinion I hear is either someone who is a) gonna make money off it or b) regurgitating some doom and gloom they read on a blog. I'd love to get some legit facts/opinions on it.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    The thought of drilling through every layer of our aquifer is unsettling. I know very little to nothing about fracking but I do know big business would never put money ahead of us little guys. Very comforting thought.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    From what I know about drilling, there are multiple sets of steel casing placed in the well several thousand feet deep and cemented in place. Usually fracking takes place below 10,000 feet, ground water is probably less than 600 feet. The chances of something penetrating 2 or 3 sets of steel casing and contrete and get into ground water low.

oldsman350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Hammond
    I see there is a drilling bonanza going on close to the Kentwood springs aquifer. I trav to Jackson every week and it seem like a new rig pops up every month off I-55 up to McComb.

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    For goodness sake. We've been fracing wells for over 100 years. This is not new technology. Likely there will be two sets of casing over the shallower aquifers from which we get our water. These casings are cemented to the formations from top to bottom of the wellbore. The zone to be "fractured" is at the bottom of the wellbore. The fractures we create with hydraulic pressure don't propagate above the intended zone at the bottom of the well. As long as the cement between the casing and the formations is intact, the fracs are contained and the shallower aquifers protected.

Now, do things sometimes go wrong? Yes, as with any industrial process things can go south. But when done properly there is no risk. The thing to do is ensure that the operators are held to the highest standards of operation. In other words, have a good plan and execute it.

This is just the short of it. It's incredibly detailed and I'm not going to get into the details. Am I involved in this particular operation? No. I didn't even know we had shallow reserves up here until 6 months ago. Should we watch this with eagle eyes. You bet we should. But to hide under the bed over fracing because of a bunch of environmental nut jobs screaming the sky is falling is wrong. I don't want to see this develop into another case of NIMBY (not in my back yard.)

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I know 2 things:

1. Friends of mine have gotten sweet, clean water from their well for over 20 years....

Fracking came along and they got sick.
    Turns out.... Now there is oil in their well, oil company scientists said "you can't prove it's due to fracking" and basically let them know they would bankrupt them in order to avoid establishing a president.
    They still can't use their well.

2. When I was getting my Emergency management degree there was data avalable to us of some early fracking site... Some army fort outwest I wish I could recall the name of. Parallels of the fracking to earth movement (earthquakes/tremors) complete with it dropping off when it was halted etc.... Were similar to a degree that will scare you.
    -I don't see how (which will shortly happen) people will say that pumping in high pressure liquid, taking out material, and busting up rock all over the country... Including near fault lines (we might be OK if we didn't do it there) wont do anything to destabilize, t put more pressure on Teutonic plates. But the oil companies have enough money not to be held accountable for the dammage we cause.

Theres never "no Risk", there can be "low risk", but not "no".
    I'm not 100% agaisnt it, but I think we need to be more careful about our useage.
    Oil/jobs are important, bit so is water, as many are already finding out.
    There's much concerns that upcoming wars won't be about oil.....but water.

$0.02

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Everyone that just laughed at the tree-hugger thread, I hope you aren't about to post here with "nono not in MY yard!"

I say do it, and I've got no vested interests either way. Worst probable scenario is you purify your own water (I wouldn't drink well or city water anywhere in this state anyway).

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Everyone that just laughed at the tree-hugger thread, I hope you aren't about to post here with "nono not in MY yard!"

I say do it, and I've got no vested interests either way. Worst probable scenario is you purify your own water (I wouldn't drink well or city water anywhere in this state anyway).

Oil/chemicals are not that easy to get out.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    just my preference, but I don't rely on local water. My tap water could taste like vodka for all I know, I've never tasted it. The only line I have from tap goes into a twice RO/UV filtration system, and I prefer bottled water anyway.

Every month theres some "boil advisory" for local cities or parishes, why would you ever trust that water anyway? Heck I treat it like its polluted with oil and chemicals already.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    But for us that are lucky to have a good aquifier, no filtering system and a well which delivers great water this is not about a preference thing.

FWIW I'm not dead set against the fracking. I know there is always a balance to strive for. We need to harvest out natural resources. We need the jobs for our economy. Neither of these things has squat to do with my concerns of one of the essential things that I need to live a healthy life. I am lucky to have this plentiful resource without much hassle. I would prefer to keep it that way.
    just my preference, but I don't rely on local water. My tap water could taste like vodka for all I know, I've never tasted it. The only line I have from tap goes into a twice RO/UV filtration system, and I prefer bottled water anyway.

Every month theres some "boil advisory" for local cities or parishes, why would you ever trust that water anyway? Heck I treat it like its polluted with oil and chemicals already.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    I was at the meeting and can say that the morons were in full force. I am not for it - I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the potential costs there. However, the state has ultimate jurisdiction, not the parish. Nevertheless, I believe it will be stopped there and moved north due to the size of the reaction to it - but likely it will go to court (not sure under what premise though).

Ultimately though, all pipes fail. It is not nearly as simple as just purify your own water or switch to bottles. The aquifers produce water for a lot more than just human consumption. Also, bottles are likely even more dangerous besides the fact that they are literally pumping our own water for nearly free and selling it back to us.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    I have worked for two different Water Well drilling companies in St.Tammany are and the city wells are around 2600 feet deep and many household wells run 300 feet to 1800 feet depending on location and what they property owners wanted.

That being said Fracking is a process that fractures the shale or rock to allow the gas and or oil to rise up and pocket so they can pump it out. The fractures once made can not be repaired, the high pressure injection of water and chemicals used to create the fractures is in the ground forever to contaminate the underground area.

These companies can bore may wells from the same location, bored at angles that can reach off in the distance, possibly sneaking oil and gas out for other properties, so what about royalties to those property owners?

These Fracking operations have contaminated underground water aquifers in many locations with some people getting flammable natural gas from their water faucets. Not healthy or safe! Some areas had earthquakes as a result of operations...

Say NO to FRACKING! Once the damage is done it can not be undone!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The effects tend to vary based on the geographic location. The local experts, at one of the hearings, were not in favor of it in this area.
    It seems that the only supporters of this are politicians and the oil industry.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I have worked for two different Water Well drilling companies in St.Tammany are and the city wells are around 2600 feet deep and many household wells run 300 feet to 1800 feet depending on location and what they property owners wanted.

That being said Fracking is a process that fractures the shale or rock to allow the gas and or oil to rise up and pocket so they can pump it out. The fractures once made can not be repaired, the high pressure injection of water and chemicals used to create the fractures is in the ground forever to contaminate the underground area.

These companies can bore may wells from the same location, bored at angles that can reach off in the distance, possibly sneaking oil and gas out for other properties, so what about royalties to those property owners?

These Fracking operations have contaminated underground water aquifers in many locations with some people getting flammable natural gas from their water faucets. Not healthy or safe! Some areas had earthquakes as a result of operations...

Say NO to FRACKING! Once the damage is done it can not be undone!

Do you drive a gas/diesel powered vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    The movie that started this huge debate is GasLand. It was supported by the libs & greenies. It is designed to scare the public, mostly by lighting well water on fire. The problem is it full of Lies! It is Totally one sided and ignores the Facts. So 3 Indy Film makers decided to look into the Facts. Their movie is FrackNation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9CfUm0QeOk&list=PLE2AB13894C2961B7
    In FrackNation, the Director confronts the GasLand creator on the BS in his movie. They show GasLand for just what it is, Green Liberal Propaganda!
    Now the Mayor of Abita Springs is jumping into the fray. He has made statements on TV news that make him sound concerned. (?)
    I Know the water in St.Tammy is usually Great, but is the concern based of Facts or Dem Green Propaganda? The big concern would be looking at the co. doing the drilling and operations. If they haven't had Real problems in the past, they shouldn't now.
    Look at who is against Fracking,(Not throwing Fireball at anyone Here). Yoko Ono, Sharron Sarandon, Sean Lennon, Robert Redford, Mark Ruffalo, Alec Baldwin and Matt Damon.
    Don't Frack Me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eph0kUgHUNg Yoko, I wouldn't Frack you with Obama's D!(*
    Watch Fracknation before Jumping into this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cKhY2Edt2Q&list=PLE2AB13894C2961B7

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom