St.Tammany Fracking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I have worked for two different Water Well drilling companies in St.Tammany are and the city wells are around 2600 feet deep and many household wells run 300 feet to 1800 feet depending on location and what they property owners wanted.

That being said Fracking is a process that fractures the shale or rock to allow the gas and or oil to rise up and pocket so they can pump it out. The fractures once made can not be repaired, the high pressure injection of water and chemicals used to create the fractures is in the ground forever to contaminate the underground area.

These companies can bore may wells from the same location, bored at angles that can reach off in the distance, possibly sneaking oil and gas out for other properties, so what about royalties to those property owners?

These Fracking operations have contaminated underground water aquifers in many locations with some people getting flammable natural gas from their water faucets. Not healthy or safe! Some areas had earthquakes as a result of operations...

Say NO to FRACKING! Once the damage is done it can not be undone!

Seems to me, you have it down pretty dog-gone right.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    A guy I know directly. Not a friend of a friend. Had his house and property ruined by fracking. He had to sue to get the oil company to buy his now worthless house and land in order to move. They ruined his well water supply and many many other problems. He was in Texas and was featured on 60 minutes as well. I'll be honest and say I don't understand the process but I know he isn't one to give up his land for no reason.

If they wanted to drill near my property I would fight it hard.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Do you drive a gas/diesel powered vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel Truck, gasoline car, lawn tractor, boat...if you think Louisiana is stable enough, just look at the stability of the salt dome that is collapsing near Pierre Part, LA sinkhole. Most of the St. Tammany area has stratifications of clay, sand and gravel. I remember being told about a oil well drilled near the Causway bridge that hit fresh water at 30,000 feet.

I just don't trust the fracking process, and hold firm that once the damage and contamination is done, this whole area will be ruined! :(

Sent via stone tablets, the original tap to talk!

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    You're high if you think Sand and Groundwater which make up 99% of the components found in FRAC fluid with 1% of chemical solution that can be found under your kitchen sink can "migrate" through 10k feet of varying layers of rock formations with varying densities and hardness. An understanding of basic Geology will help you better understand this.

You might as well quit shooting your rifles and pistols for fear of lead poisoning in local water tables.

The sky is not falling folks.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    From what I know about drilling, there are multiple sets of steel casing placed in the well several thousand feet deep and cemented in place. Usually fracking takes place below 10,000 feet, ground water is probably less than 600 feet. The chances of something penetrating 2 or 3 sets of steel casing and contrete and get into ground water low.

This.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    figure4_3_web_large.jpg

This is a good graphic of the fracking process and what can and does go wrong, altho not all at the same time and site (He says hopefully.)

The article is here http://desmog.ca/2014/05/01/fracking-data-woefully-lacking-canada-finds-federal-report

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Upon completion of each area perforated, a plug is set and when the area is ready to be used for production, coil tubing goes in and mills a plug, fracking commences, the well produces, everyone is happy.

Fast forward to a completed well... However many feet whether it'd be 75 or 200 feet above the production area, whatever is deemed safe by the Engineers and BSEE, certain barriers are put into place. Cement plugs, inflatable plugs, packoffs, and any combination of the types as well as others I haven't listed. Wireline goes in above that and cuts the casing, and it is pulled as well. Everything has 3 or more barriers above the zones fracked and there is no more steel casing or tubing left in the well above the zones used.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    You're high if you think Sand and Groundwater which make up 99% of the components found in FRAC fluid with 1% of chemical solution that can be found under your kitchen sink can "migrate" through 10k feet of varying layers of rock formations with varying densities and hardness. An understanding of basic Geology will help you better understand this.

You might as well quit shooting your rifles and pistols for fear of lead poisoning in local water tables.

The sky is not falling folks.

Dude, shut up!

Ya'll ignore Doc, he has no idea what he is talking about. Ya'll need to get together and start showing up at those meetings down there, get organized and drive them out of South Louisiana! Fight the power! Down with fracking! Send them packing back up to North Louisiana!

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Dude, shut up!

Ya'll ignore Doc, he has no idea what he is talking about. Ya'll need to get together and start showing up at those meetings down there, get organized and drive them out of South Louisiana! Fight the power! Down with fracking! Send them packing back up to North Louisiana!

Haha yep do that! I'll get transferred there and collect $500 a day day rate while poisoning your water supplies...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    While I do sincerely appreciate that man's hypothetical argument, I highly doubt that a "micro fissure" running 17,250 feet would run the entire length of the casing. The same goes with the dead well. I also feel the "leaky" well barrier device is defunct as there are 2 or 3 or more other barriers in place in case of an equipment failure as such. The only one that would cause any worry in my humble opinion would be the micro fissure stemming from the fracked areas in the horizontal portion of that directionally drilled well, but, remember we are talking about 10,000-20,000 feet of layers of varying densities/hardness of different rock, shale, sand. It would take some serious migration...

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Things may be good short term while they are drilling, however long term things leech out higher and higher thru these upper stratas! Company makes a few dollars and moves on...Then as percolation occurs...Contamination! Game Over for those who live there!

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    How many of these good folks tried lighting their water on fire prior to the fracking jobs? None? Or is it something g they've recently seen on youtube? There are countless water aquifers that have naturally occurring gas in them.

Prior to the 40s or 50s this was an issue. Since then similar to BSSE, the Railroad Commission or close to that oversees cement jobs. You can bet your bottom dollar that if there were a poor cement job, the Railroad Commission will No Go it and make them redo or abandon the well.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Yet accidents happen: Macondo, Texas City etc. Ground water has been contaminated and its been proven to be as a result of fracking:

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2014/04/wise-county-gets-3-million-in-fracking-suit.html/

I'm not saying it's bad or its good. I do think I wanna hear facts from someone besides Oil Companies who stand to make millions. It's also more than fair to say that Oil Companies haven't been good stewards of Louisiana's environment or its resources and we should all be a little skeptical. There are also other factors to consider for instance I don't think the areas traffic infrastructure can support the additional traffic and heavy trucks. All of these things matter. I moved up here from Houma to get away from those issues. If a referendum was held I would wanna see more data before I cast my vote.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    The call it Fracking for a reason...fracturing or breaking, it disturbs the natural formations that have kept things sealed off, once they are fractured, the openings allow things the migrate to other areas.

BTW, Remind me again about Deep Water Horizon and their perfect world of well drilling, safety devices in place and working correctly! Oh yea, what about those 11 dedicate workers, who are no longer among us.

Hell, even nature herself can screw things up, even faster with man's help!

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    That was one company man's call which was made in error. He is currently either in prison or facing serious prison time.

There would have been 15 deaths if Schlumberger had not called a Stop The Job and flew off of there. Had Schlumberger bought MI-SWACO prior to that there would have only been 9 fatalities due to that incident.

This is one singular negative incident stemming from one person's poor decisions. There are numerous checks and bounds restricting people from committing these mistakes.

Remember: we don't judge the entire group's performance or character based on the negative effects of one person's actions. School shootings, robberies, serial killers, gun owners?

BP oil incident and FRAC are two completely different things as well. This was an exploratory oil well that had a blowout. The blow out preventers failed and there were lives lost as well as an environmental dilemma. Fracking a well on land is forcing a 99% H2O and Salt with a 1% Chemical mixture into a sub surface rock structure X amount of feet below the surface. There are so many government restrictions and red tape to go through just writing up a Program alongside 5 other engineers about how to safely and efficiently negotiate aquifers, layers of strata, and reduce negative environmental impacts to zero. The big wigs do not allow loosie goosie we'll get there somehow and screw the environment mentalities. There is too much red tape. They will shut it all down in an instant. They will shut down and make them redo and/or abandon a poor cement job which would cause several of these what ifs I see being worried about. The days of Cowboy Rough necking are all long gone. It's all safety safety safety and there isn't anything we can do to get away from that.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Yes Nate, you've provided some of the best arguments against though, including and not limited to true data. Increased traffic on smaller infrastructure, large trucks destroying roads, etc. I do agree those are real fears, compared to the aquifer fear. I'd be more terrified about what Monsanto puts in your food, or makes farmers spray their crops with than anything...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom