St.Tammany Fracking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    No, it was an honest question. I asked it when the thread first started and got no answer.

The guys in the industry say it's harmless, and "oh but look over there that's dangerous too!" Which you just did again and it cracks me up every time. And the other side says the world is gonna implode if a single frack is fracked. I'm looking for the middle ground, what actually has gone wrong, and what were the results. You know, like...actual data to form an opinion on.

No, be honest with yourself. It's all about "gotcha! Even someone in the industry admits it's dangerous!"

The reason we keep saying " oh but look..." Is because it's a risk, just like those things that maybe you don't realize are even more dangerous to your environment than the activity you are so vehemently against. You disregard risk every day, everyone does. The risk with fracking is known and controls are engineered into the process to mitigate the risk. "Big oil" has more interest in mitigating that risk than anyone, since one blatant violation (like macando) can bankrupt small companies, and cost shareholders of large companies billions. It costs a lot of money to do things right, and a lot more to do it wrong, and that's a good thing.

Oh but look....The fact is that the risk from fracking to groundwater is far less than the risk of channeling from older abandoned wells that are already there, drilled in the 40's,50's or before. The damage there is done. If I were you I'd be pushing government to verify those are sufficiently mitigated, not fighting a more viable and much better engineered method today. Unless it isn't really the quality of the aquifer you're concerned with, but the big bad wolf of the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    No, be honest with yourself. It's all about "gotcha! Even someone in the industry admits it's dangerous!"

The reason we keep saying " oh but look..." Is because it's a risk, just like those things that maybe you don't realize are even more dangerous to your environment than the activity you are so vehemently against. You disregard risk every day, everyone does. The risk with fracking is known and controls are engineered into the process to mitigate the risk. "Big oil" has more interest in mitigating that risk than anyone, since one blatant violation (like macando) can bankrupt small companies, and cost shareholders of large companies billions. It costs a lot of money to do things right, and a lot more to do it wrong, and that's a good thing.

Oh but look....The fact is that the risk from fracking to groundwater is far less than the risk of channeling from older abandoned wells that are already there, drilled in the 40's,50's or before. The damage there is done. If I were you I'd be pushing government to verify those are sufficiently mitigated, not fighting a more viable and much better engineered method today. Unless it isn't really the quality of the aquifer you're concerned with, but the big bad wolf of the week.

Again, I don't care about other things that are bad or risky. Two wrongs don't make a right. And we're talking about fracking specifically. If there is admitted risks involved, why is it so hard to believe people are against it happening in their back yard? We are the ones assuming the risk while the people benefiting are a hundred of miles away.

You literally can't just answer the question can you? What are the risks involved, and what incidents have happened in the past?

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Speed, how many times do I need to remind you ...............
    4u198a5q5le3lrg3ecmv.jpg

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    For you guys in the industry, can you answer two simple questions: Can fracking go wrong? And has it gone wrong before?

Just direct answers please, not technical specs, percentages, or telling me how much worse other things are anyway.

I have been out of the oil field 20+ years and may be a bit rusty but here goes. Hydraulic fracturing shale formations require a lot of water mixed with various chemicals depending on the characteristics of the formation. They may pump 9000 psi to crack and fissure the formation to get it to produce. Any time you deal with such extreme pressures there can be a failure. Resulting in injury or a spill. Some wells we produced in the Vermilion field had shut in pressures (Natural formation pressures) between 12,000 - 15,000 psi. Hydraulic fracturing is no more dangerous than flowing these wells. The main difference between a fracted well and a non fractured well is the formation is more porous to produce the hydrocarbons. One disadvantage to this process is it consumes a lot of water.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    For you guys in the industry, can you answer two simple questions: Can fracking go wrong? And has it gone wrong before?

Just direct answers please, not technical specs, percentages, or telling me how much worse other things are anyway.
    I don't think it's fracking that would go wrong but the screwed completion of the well that would allow anything to escape. In that case I think frack fluids would be the least of your concern.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Again, I don't care about other things that are bad or risky. Two wrongs don't make a right. And we're talking about fracking specifically. If there is admitted risks involved, why is it so hard to believe people are against it happening in their back yard? We are the ones assuming the risk while the people benefiting are a hundred of miles away.

You literally can't just answer the question can you? What are the risks involved, and what incidents have happened in the past?

I answered your baiting question in simple plain English. You are changing the question now and I should answer that so that you can accuse me of not answering as you ask yet another different question? You know the answers. There are risks, they are mitigated through engineering, humans still make errors.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    The greatest risk is from an inadequate cement job, or casing failure. These risks are present in all wells and are not frack specific.

If fracking causes a failure in casing or cement, the frack water is not what you should be concerned with, the hydrocarbons are.

The ground water is separated from the hydrocarbons by miles of cemented hole and casing, same as normal wells.

Cement can fail. zones above the target zone can be fracked by the cement causing the cement to flow into that formation instead of up the well bore. Cement logs can determine if there are voids behind the casing. Another engineering control.

So we drill, run casing, cement that to formation. We then pressure up on that cement to test integrity. Then we drill to the next point, run casing, and cement that to formation. We pressure up on that cement to test integrity. Then we drill a horizontal well from that point. A liner is run into that hole. Fracking is in that horizontal section and fracking propegate a horizontally along natural rock fractures, not up.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I answered your baiting question in simple plain English. You are changing the question now and I should answer that so that you can accuse me of not answering as you ask yet another different question? You know the answers. There are risks, they are mitigated through engineering, humans still make errors.

How is asking what the risks are and what incidents have happened in the past baiting? Since y'all in the industry have expressed that you have profound knowledge on the topic I figured you would be the best source of info.

Your non-answers have served as an answer in themselves though, thank you.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    How do you explain this mr oil man?! Is this not our water sources in this picture!??

I just HAD to snap this pic in well control lol.

jy4y4u2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    How is asking what the risks are and what incidents have happened in the past baiting? Since y'all in the industry have expressed that you have profound knowledge on the topic I figured you would be the best source of info.

Your non-answers have served as an answer in themselves though, thank you.

Non answers?

I have told you there are risks, told you some of those risks as I understand them.
    I have no experience or knowledge of any actual incidents.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Those guys got killed in my line of work (Coil Tubing) for hitting iron with a sledgehammer that had 6000psi trapped inside. FRAC did not kill them, lack of communication and verification of zero pressure in the lines got them killed.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    I have a few questions.

Who's backyard will this fracking operation take place?

I asked this before, but I want to be clear. What are your concerns about this frack job? Specifically.

Is the concern the drilling or the fracking?

To answer Speed, yes there are dangers. Things can go wrong. I won't compare drilling or fracking to anything else because that seems to get you kinda butthurt for some reason. And yes, your question was bait, you are attempting to get us oil field guys to admit that things can go wrong during our processes, that gives you the upper hand in your mind. It's what's called passive aggression, I know cause I use it all the time.

Here's a tidbit for the haters. My rig just drilled 8 surface holes. We ran surface casing and cemented them in place. There are several houses within a 1/4 mile of the rig site. We did NOT destroy an aquifers or damage anyone's water well. It was amazing!!! Well not really to us, but to people that don't know **** about the business is was.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom